Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am i exercising too much?

Hey all I need advise and some encouragement

:(

I have been exercising for 60-70 minutes 5X a week and burn 600-700 calories. I track whatever I eat in myfitnesspal and never exceed 1200 calories......but am just not losing weight... I started introducing carbs again as I need it for energy. Yesterday I had some carbs before exercising for 70 minutes and burnt 650 calories.

Today I weighed myself in the morning in an empty stomach I did not lose weight. Infact I gained! A kilo!!!

It has been like that for two months now....am not losing inches either as l measure myself.... I don't know what am doing wrong am really am frustrated and feel like am not doing enough.

Am I exercising too much as I was told by my friends I am eating too little and exercising too much. Apparently I have to raise my calorie intake and eat back half the calories I burnt but I really don't understand. If the body needs 1200 to function then why shall I increase it after exercising.

Why is my body weight increasing and am not losing in inches or pounds for the past two months. Isit because am exercising too much and not raising my calorie intake?

What shall I do?! Am I doing anything wrong!?

Where's your weight at? You look nice and thin in that tiny photo.

Seven years on at a BMi of 22, with seven years of calorie restricted eating behind me, weight loss is nigh on impossible. I have just crept up a few lbs over wher I want to be and it literally takes me a month of what you are describing - hard core running, gym and restricted calories and I might lose ONE lb. You're of fairly norml weight, have a big loss behind you, your body just does not give it up easily anymore.

In fact, I lost 100 lb all up - 80 in the first year and it took TWO years yo lose the other 20!

It really does suck, but it just takes a looooong time

Thank you :) but I actually still feel big.... I am 164 pounds 5 ft 4 I need to lose 30 pounds to reach my goal weight but I am finding it extremely hard to that! :( exercising is not helping :(

Oh wow 80 pounds well done! I cnt wait to lose 80 pounds!!!!:(

I lost 56 pounds since July 2nd 2012... I am happy I did but I am pushing for more but its just not coming off... It's just getting harder :( am frustrated and starting to get demotivated:(

I don't understand why it's not coming off!!!!:( not even a pound!!:( shall I increase my calorie intake!?:(

Thanks

Thank you :) but I actually still feel big.... I am 164 pounds 5 ft 4 I need to lose 30 pounds to reach my goal weight but I am finding it extremely hard to that! :( exercising is not helping :(

Oh wow 80 pounds well done! I cnt wait to lose 80 pounds!!!!:(

I lost 56 pounds since July 2nd 2012... I am happy I did but I am pushing for more but its just not coming off... It's just getting harder :( am frustrated and starting to get demotivated:(

I don't understand why it's not coming off!!!!:( not even a pound!!:( shall I increase my calorie intake!?:(

Thanks

You do look great, but only you and your doctor can determine your "happy" spot.

I don't think you can exercise to much unless you are hurting yourself. With working out remember that muscle weighs more than fat so as you work out more, even doing cardio, your muscles are strengthening so you could gain weight, but loose fat which is a good thing. In this case if you want to weight less you may want to work out a little less.

Look up your BMR (google the calculator) and see how many calories your body would need at rest to survive. Then look at how many calories extra you are burning a day with your exercise - to maintain your current weight that is how many calories you must take in. To loose you would need to take in less. It's all a mathmatical equation, don't give up, do some research and play with it a bit and you will be fine.

1200 calories per day to survive.....

I'm curious, who is telling you this? Not saying it is incorrect, but is this figure based upon studies conducted with a wide range of patients? Or is is a figure based upon overweight / obese patients?

I work with Nutritionists everyday as part of the medical team at the different clinics I attend.....and, with ALL DUE RESPECT, I know where they are coming from.....and they are absolutely correct.... in a perfect world....

But being morbidly Obese is not a perfect world and 2+2 does not always = 4, at least not right away....it does make a good starting point, but then as with any treatment plan, it has to be modified to fit the individual......

I'll leave it at this...if we consume 1200 calories per/day to sustain ourselves, WHEN do we get to burn up that fat/energy we have been storing away for that rainy day?

Just my morning thoughts.....

B52 good thought. Also with muscle memory maybe you just need to switch up your routine. Work different muscle groups.

Maybe too sign up with a personsl trainer for a bit an see what routine they can come up with

Good luck

1200 calories and you are burning half that in one hour of exercise everyday. Maybe you need to up your calories a couple hundred?

By the way... you look great!

These are going to be tough times for you dalia. Only because you are now on the 'smaller' side. Listening to the same lapband patients on here it takes more than time and patience to do what you are doing. I have taken some very good advice from a personal trainer who happens to be a friend of mine. Do you work out at a gym?? speak to a pesonal trainer there for some pointers. You are building muscles now, and muscle mass weighs. Your body may be very comfortable at the current weight. From looking at your picture you don't look 164 at all. Speak to your NUT and let he/she know what is going on and what you can do to lose the weight you are striving for. I am sure you both can come up with a plan suitable for your lifestyle while you continue to work out.

You look absolutely fantastic!

I've found that to end a plateau one should mix up the diet routine. I wouldn't change anything about the exercise regiment.

shake up your bodies metabolism by increasing your calorie intake by 500 calories/day or so for a week. If it's in a starvation/survival mode, the body might kick back into fat and energy burning mode again. It's worked for me but it's not foolproof. And sometimes it's mentally and physically challenging to consume so much. Or, go the other way, and reduce calorie intake to 600-800/day? I'd go for increasing first and then follow it up with something under or around 1,000?

That's worked for me before but we're all diff as you know?

One other thing. Try to stay away from processed foods of all kinds. Especially flour and sugar products. Maybe cut back on sodium and all carbs. Not entirely of course, but minimize them for a week? And talk to a nutritionist? It did wonders for me.

tmf

Everyone is different. I know when I'm exercising a lot I have to increase my calories to lose weight. You should try increasing your calories. You can also try something called carb cycling, google it and it can really pull you out of a plateau. What kind of exercise are you doing? You may need to switch that up too. Doing the same thing lets your body get very good at figuring out just how little calories it must expend to accomplish something, so sometimes you have to change it to surprise your body. Add weight training. P90x is fantastic. Or Jillian's 30 day shred.

I would suggest upping your calories. Preband I was eating 1200 cal per day and was losing. Then suddenly it stopped. I increased to like 1500 for a week and lost weight. I think I settled at 1400 calories, but everyone is different. You should try gradually increasing your calories or talk to Ur doc. Maybe?