Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Exercise

The thing is, we need to exercise NOT to lose weight or get skinny or stay skinny. We all need to exercise, every size, shape, age and functional ability because it's good for us. It not only adds quantity of life but quality. While some of us do more than others, being active, mobile and getting that heart rate up everyday in anyway that works is necessary to overall wellness !!!!

:)

I'm a little more than two months out and just started exercising. I HATE exercising, and started it while on vacation in Florida. My theory was that I knew I was going to eat a little bad for my band, given the circumstances of being in a hotel without many healthy options therefore I needed to offset the added calories with exercise. Honestly, I feel so much better and am enjoying the feeling afterwards. I can't say that I will do this everyday but I will try to get in at least 3 days a week when I get home. Trust me, once you get up and make yourself do it, you'll feel do much better. You have to make yourself as hard as it is. Once you get past the first few days, you'll start enjoying it. It won't ever be something I LOVE but I know not exercising helped contribute to me getting up to 270lbs. I don't want to throw away all of my hard work of losing nearly 50 lbs because I hate moving my body for a mere 30 minutes a day. I spent way too much time and energy to make this banding process successful. I hope that you too can come to this realization. And perhaps as you drop more weight, you might be more inclined to get up and move. I honestly JUST started because I feel better about myself. You wouldn't catch me in a tank and spandex 15lbs ago, I was still embarrassed. I know strut with confidence lol. You'll get there, just keep eating healthy and it will all come together. :)

I rarely exercise and I dont look MELTED whatever that means. I look very healthy and have done well with no exercise. I do enough walking at the hospital every day I work that amounts to about 20 miles per week so I think that is more then enough. Along with bending, pushing, pulling, lifting. Im just waiting to get enough money for my tummy to be done because nothing in the world will help that one bit.

I just now have started exercising even though my surgeon expressed how important it is. I had my surgery April 2010 and it has taken me all this time to get a 100 pounds off because of not exercising. I plateaued a full year and almost got discouraged but then I realized if I would start exercising it would start coming off again and it has!

If you don't want to exercise, don't get the Band!

You will lose very slowly on restriction alone, get discouraged, and start out-eating your band.

Get the Sleeve or the RnY instead.

Exercise is extremely important, especially in women because we are more prone to osteoporosis as we age. You need to exercise to keep your bones strong. Exercise can actually make you feel good overall, not to mention keep you "looking' younger. There are so many benefits to exercising, you don't have to make a chore out of it, or kill yourself to do it. Just move, walk, lift weights, swim, etc...

Whatever you choose to do make it fun, but keep those joints moving. BTW, I have a total hip replaced and its is extremely important that I keep not only my old joints but my new joint moving/rotating daily to build up bone mass and bone strength!

If you don't want to exercise, don't get the Band!

You will lose very slowly on restriction alone, get discouraged, and start out-eating your band.

Get the Sleeve or the RnY instead.

Sorry but I do not agree. I didnt do any formal exercise and lost 220 lbs in 23 months.

While certainly its benefical if you exercise you can still lose weight with out it...I did. Granted I had to keep your calories at 1000 but I averaged a 10 lbs a month loss. When I started walking I still kept my calories at 1000 and I didnt lose any more or any less.

People who are bed ridden and cannot exercise will lose weight if they resduce their calories.

In my opinion, To say not to get the band if you arent going to exercise is short sighted because it can work.

I remember when I first committed myself to go to a gym....Before I was banded, but right after I was Dx'd with Diabetes.......

So there I was, a (fat) 56-58 year old man, sweating like a pig on the elliptical.....I'm looking around and checking out the staff members...you know, the super fit young girls who wear those super tight spandex workout clothes that say "STAFF" across the back in big yellow letters.....

And you know what was going through this dirty old man's mind when I was looking at them???

"Man..I sure hope those young girls know CPR, and they weren't just hired because of their looks"

No exaggeration...it really worried me....that's the shape I was in both physically and mentally.....

I hate exercising, formal exercising, gyms all that stuff. I don't have a formal exercise program but i do move a heck of a lot more that before my band.

I started off slow, got a Fitbit (pedometer on steroids!). It motivated me to walk more each day and it tracked my stair climbing. Next thing I knew I was taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Now I'm doing the Challenge a fellow bandster posted (walk 100 miles in January). Go figure and I hate exercising.

Don't right it off, just see where this jouney takes you. You may surprise yourself. I know I did.

My philosophy is never say never! You may want or feel like exercising once you lose some weight and start feeling like you have more energy! I think if you already have in your mind it's something you refuse to do, you may be looking at this as a quick fix to lose weight and thinking it is easier than exercising. I think health is the ultimate goal, and part of health is proper nutrition and exercise. You don't have to join a gym or train for a marathon, you just have to move more than you do now! I love to walk, I do it 4 or more times a week for an hour. When I feel like doing more I do, when I don't, I don't, no guilt! I have no extra skin hanging and I attribute that to losing weight slowly and exercise! Of course genetics also helps! Who knows, a few months from now we may see you post that you are no longer addicted to food but to exercise! It's a long journey and anything can happen along the way! Regardless, good luck!

the more i lose........the more i can do...the more i want to do...

you can lose weight with the band, sleeve or bypass and gain it back by overeating.

no one is better than the other...its how you use the tool you were giving on the success.

and with all things, success will vary

I remember when I first committed myself to go to a gym....Before I was banded' date=' but right after I was Dx'd with Diabetes.......

So there I was, a (fat) 56-58 year old man, sweating like a pig on the elliptical.....I'm looking around and checking out the staff members...you know, the super fit young girls who wear those super tight spandex workout clothes that say "STAFF" across the back in big yellow letters.....

And you know what was going through this dirty old man's mind when I was looking at them???

"Man..I sure hope those young girls know CPR, and they weren't just hired because of their looks"

No exaggeration...it really worried me....that's the shape I was in both physically and mentally.....[/quote']

Bwhahahaaaa!!! That's hysterical. Did you also look around and make you chose the machine closest to the AED? :)

I don't know if anyone has ever brought this up' date=' but I'm wondering if I choose not to exercise if that will be bad? I look at it this way,........I have never exercised. After I lose weight, I will probably not exercise again. So, my thought is, why exercise now if I know that I will not continue the habit? Just a thought. Just let the weight come off slower.[/quote']

If you don't exercise (walking totally counts) you will Fail to hit goal and/or maintain goal. I have never met and exception to this rule.

Lee

I loath exercise when I'm big, lets face it, it hurts and for us women we have a few things bouncing all over the place, but a few years ago when I lost 150 lbs and weighed 150, I loved it...I ran 5 miles a day with my husband...for me it's all about how comfortable I am doing it. Right now I walk 7 days a week with my dog, we both need it and it's good for both of us, we walk for about 40 minutes at a brisk pace and it's good enough for us...but I will be back to running when I can keep up with my husband..about 100 lbs from now! :D