Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Exercise

I don't know if anyone has ever brought this up, but I'm wondering if I choose not to exercise if that will be bad? I look at it this way,........I have never exercised. After I lose weight, I will probably not exercise again. So, my thought is, why exercise now if I know that I will not continue the habit? Just a thought. Just let the weight come off slower.

This is a three-legged stool made up of the band, food and exercise. You will lose some, possibly even most of hour excess weight without exercise but it will be slower and harder.

I suspect you will also be at a greater risk of loose skin but that is not certain.

one benefit of losing weight is that you feel more active so, rather than exercising, why don't you take up activities that you enjoy?

good luck

There are many different forms of exercise, walking around the block to an hour bootcamp class at your local gym. I would hope that there would be something in there for everyone.

when i started my band life in june, i could hardly walk because of my size and my knees. i started off walking down my hall or to the mail box or the 74 steps to the bathroom one way at work....and gradually its getting easier. i am now almost up to 2 blocks....some people can lose weight without major exercising (me for one) and because i cant exercise an hour or do a step machine or run 45 miles, i am careful of my cal intake...if i take in more cals than i burn off, i will not lose weight.......so even though i have a band, i make sure i am eating only enough so i dont gain weight but eating good Protein food..and i know my walking will help my weight loss and its good for me....

....ps, i know Floridas (my hero) has lost over 200 pounds and the first year she didnt exercise much so it can be done...

There are some people on this site who don't workout due to health issues preventing it. However, just moving more can and will help- ie- parking further from the store, walking more, dancing- only you can determine what you can handle.

I feel like for me to be successful I need the exercise so I choose to do it. Do I really like it, no, do I need it, yes. This is me, I need to exercise. Like you I do not feel like I can keep up a major workout routine so I don't do anything majorly intense. I do my elliptical for 30 min a few times a week and my total gym a few times a week.

Talk to you doctor and nutritionist and get their advice and make a decision that fits you and your lifestyle.

My ears were burning..... ;)

I never exercised in my life with the exception of a few failed attemts at the gym. Then as I got fatter I didnt even try. I was however always active by working in the yard, mowing the grass, cleaning the house...normal daily activities.... but as CG refferenced.... I didnt exercise formally during my journey... in fact I did nothing other than the above until I dropped the first 100 pounds.

Then I started walking 30 minutes every day. I would walk 15 minutes then turn around and went home Keep in mind that becaause I chose this route I had to keep my calories pretty low in order to see a loss. I ate 1000 every day.

I still havent started any formal exercise but I am still walking..... so I feel that is better than nothing. But my goal for 2013 is to increase my walking and start biking.

I believe weight loss with out any attempt to become fit ( which is not skinny) is an exercise in futility (pardon the pun). Your health is defined by so much more than your weight. So while any bariatric surgery can make you thin by simply restricting calories, true success and wellness comes from a holistic approach at lifestyle change.

My doc actually rarely does lapbands because most patients aren't willing to make that fundamental change that results in permanent weight loss and lapband success ( which defined as what, 40% of the weight lost?).

When I told him I was training for a 1/2 marathon, he considered my surgery.successful, even though I have 40-50lbs to go.

I hate to say this, but one of the reasons many of us have had weight issues in the first place is lack of activity/ exercise. Then as the body is dealing with the effects of the weight, the activity level decreases even more and it gets harder and harder.... the band, or any wls can jump start you to a weight where exercise isn't painful or injury prone.... and from there you can start something that works for you.

It's been proven that getting your heart rate up for 20-30 min a day at least 5 times a week will dramatically improve your health... and quality of life.

Ultimately the decision is yours, and you have to really decide what your goal is and use the tools that work for you.

Just remember...to loose weight, you must burn more calories than you consume...daily.

Everything we do burns calories...breathing burns calories, staying warm, etc,.

However, the less calories you burn, the less you're going to have to eat to loose weight........the more you exercise, the more you can eat.

And ideally...burn more calories than you eat.....eat less......

The band is there to help us from over eating...less calories per day, something I could never do on my own....

But It is up to me to burn the calories, however I choose to....that is one thing the band will not do for me....

Myself, I want to burn as many calories per day as I can....much more than I eat, forcing my body to turn to stored fat...I've been saving it for something...

Myself' date=' I want to burn as many calories per day as I can....much more than I eat, forcing my body to turn to stored fat...I've been saving it for something...[/quote']

And the other benefit of burning those extra calories is not having to maintain an extremely restricted diet.

For me, and this is just me...

But when I go a few days with out working out, my weight loss stops for about 10-14 days! I'm keeping my caloric intake at 1,000-1,200.

I also REALLY don't want the "Melted" look! I'm only 32....going on 33, but that doesn't mean I can't look melted. I chose to make this journey to be healthy and happy. Exercise provides that with lean, toned muscles, and endorphins to help keep us happy.

Start small. And do only what makes you happy. This is YOUR journey!

I'm sorry but your question about exercising struck me.

We are all getting banded to change our life and lose weight. Exercise is part of a healthy lifestyle and helps you lose weight.

For optimum health it's best to exercise.. Even if only a few times a week.

Is there a medical issue that would prevent u from exercising? Or is it jus that u do t want to?

I got a lapband and took up running. I now also do spinning and strength training. I lost over 100 lbs and have stayed at a bmi of 21, I did not just lose wight, I am truly thin and fit. People marvel that I was ever big.

My hubby got a band and did not exercise. He lost 50 lb and has put 25 back on. He is still "obese". Five years later.

You don't have to be as hard core as I am. Just walk. But it really helps and it's even more important for maintenance.

Many good points and tips have been provided to you. But remember, YOU are the only one in control of your body and what you do with it. You probably will lose a great deal of weight by watching what you eat and being banded. In the past, we all over ate and probably did not exercise or very little. This did not work! Now, you gone through the ordeal of a weight loss surgery with time off from work and YOU don't want to exercise at all. Sounds like you are going backwards in one of the bad patterns when you were heavier.

Just moving or parking the car a bit farther at work or when shopping for an item or two, park farther away. Walk your local Home Depot or Walmart from beginning to end. Do something to be worthy of the Band.

Best Wishes

Even if you don't plan to exercise after you've reached your goal weight, I do think it would be bad not to exercise in some form while you are losing. A reasonable exercise goal is 30 minutes 3x/week. Overall it will benefit your physical and mental health.

Simple walking is the easiest and cheapest way to get exercise. But you can also look into more entertaining options like doing a workout DVD or playing Wii or Kinect games that get you moving, like Just Dance or Zumba. Swimming or Water aerobics are good and easy on the joints. There really are so many options for exercise out there, and the health benefits are so clear, that there's no excuse for us not to do it. I'm telling myself that as much as you, because I'm trying to establish a good habit of exercising myself.