Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Months Out & No Real Weight Loss-Is This Normal?

I had my surgery August 31, 2012 and I'm started to worry that I did all this for nothing. I've lost more on the pre-op diet (18 pounds) than I've lost since the surgery. Since the surgery I've only around 7 pounds. And I actually gained 3 pounds back! I know I have a problem with my Portion Control, but I'm ALWAYS hungry. I'm currently at 6cc's and I can't even really tell that I've had the surgery done. I've never gotten anything stuck or felt like anything is stuck.....is this normal? At what point will I fill a difference when I eat? Everyone tells me to watch my portions, but honestly if I could do that I would't have had to have the surgery. I just thought once I had the surgery I wouldn't be able to over eat causing me to loose weight but that simply isn't happening. I feel really dissappointed in myself and totally embarrassed. At what point will I feel restriction or a real difference? Help!!

I just thought once I had the surgery I wouldn't be able to over eat causing me to loose weight but that simply isn't happening. I feel really dissappointed in myself and totally embarrassed. At what point will I feel restriction or a real difference? Help!!

Thats not the way the band works. With the band its a tool to use to help you feel satisfied on a small portion....usually about 1 cup of healthy food. Until you have restriction you must be very strict with yourself and count calories and track your food and measure portions. If you continue to eat like you did before you were banded you wont lose weight.

I am sorry your Dr is not providing this information. Have you discussed it with him? At four months out I had seen my Dr monthly and was at restriction. I had lost a lot of weight. But its not because I was in the green zone... its because I made sure to eat a reduced calorie diet of 1000 calories each and every day. Its shear willpower until you hit that restriction so if you dont have I would visit the dr again soon to get there.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm just going about this all wrong. I thought that the with the band I would automatically get fuller quicker but as I'm finding out thats not the case. Can you give me an idea of what you normally eat?

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm just going about this all wrong. I thought that the with the band I would automatically get fuller quicker but as I'm finding out thats not the case. Can you give me an idea of what you normally eat?

Well with proper restriction that should be the case... so you must not be there yet.. I would certainly follow up with the Dr on that.

An average day would be as follows. Keep in mind its 1000- calories.... and I didnt spend any on drinks so didnt list it.

BFast

1 egg

1 pc whole wheat toast / marg / SF jelly

1/2 slice bacon

lunch

3 oz tuna mixed with fat dree dressing

6 wheat thins

1/2 c veggie or salad

snack

1/2 banana

dinner

3 oz fish, chix, beef, pork

1/2 c veggies

1/4 c starch like 1/2 baked potato, Pasta, rice etc

Evening Snack if needed

sugar free skinny cow bar or fruit

Here's a great link that I think may help you considerably. It does a great job explaining what the band is supposed to do, not do, and what you need to do to be successful: http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

Thanks I'll use this as a guide. Hopefully I can get on track :wacko:

The restriction will come soon. Eating in portions now will help you when you get there. The surgery works. You have nothing to worry about. The hard part is the restriction, so keep eating in portions and small bites. It took me almost a year to feel the restriction, but when i got there it was hard because i was not use to the portions. U need to exercise as well. Good luck!

Well with proper restriction that should be the case... so you must not be there yet.. I would certainly follow up with the Dr on that.

An average day would be as follows. Keep in mind its 1000- calories.... and I didnt spend any on drinks so didnt list it.

BFast

1 egg

1 pc whole wheat toast / marg / SF jelly

1/2 slice bacon

lunch

3 oz tuna mixed with fat dree dressing

6 wheat thins

1/2 c veggie or salad

snack

1/2 banana

dinner

3 oz fish, chix, beef, pork

1/2 c veggies

1/4 c starch like 1/2 baked potato, Pasta, rice etc

Evening Snack if needed

sugar free skinny cow bar or fruit

Floridays,

Thank you so much for the sample meal plan. Can you provide more samples?

Can you provide me with your menu too??? Always looking for ideas...

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

If you can join Myfitnesspal you can add a lot of people on here as friends. That way you can view their food diaries too x

I had 6.8cc in mine, I was banded 9/21/210 in 2/25/2011 up to 6.8cc in may and April is when I started feeling fullness and eating small portions but by Nov 2011 I felt even tighter 2011 I having acid reflux and food coming up when I slept so 11/2012 final the band was too tight with nothing goin down . Keep working on Portion Control and get a walking routine and maybe band needs time to adjust.

Can you provide me with your menu too??? Always looking for ideas...

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

Download MyFitnessPal.com and start adding. I'm mummajuju

Really help x

I was like you banded August 31, 2012 and I am only now starting to lose. I had to get my third fill to now lose 2 pounds a week and I just natrually now stop eating.

It is way harder to do that if you don't have the right fill and I felt like a failure and forked over a ton of money for nothing.

Hense this is my first post since Novemeber.

Hang in I went for a fill every four weeks until I got here it will work.

I was like you banded August 31, 2012 and I am only now starting to lose. I had to get my third fill to now lose 2 pounds a week and I just natrually now stop eating.

It is way harder to do that if you don't have the right fill and I felt like a failure and forked over a ton of money for nothing.

Hense this is my first post since Novemeber.

Hang in I went for a fill every four weeks until I got here it will work.

This is how I feel. I was banded on Oct 5, 2012 & there are times when I feel like I went thru all of hoopla for nothing. But, I will persevere. It took me years to reach this weight; so I must learn patience.

So, did any of you fail to lose much weight until you reached the green zone? Sometimes I feel like not even trying until I've reached that elusive green zone!