Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for all:

Shortly after my last few fills I have been having instances of sliming.., that is a rush of saliva in my throat accompanied by a large air bubbles. Does anyone have a remedy. I take very small bites, chew thoroughly and have recently discoveted (on a side note) that cold or iced liquids seem to tighten me up considerably. Thanks in advance for your comments...

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

Many, if not most, new bandsters do not eat like a bandster. I know after 2 fills I thought I was doing it right. I thought I was eating the right foods too. I met with a nutritionist late in my 4th month and she set me straight. I made some minor changes to what I ate and snacked. The 3rd fill and her advice made all the difference.

But, I still slimed(and still do) 1-3 times a week due to distracted eating. That's where I revert back to my 63 year eating habits and eat too much, too fast and do not chew enough.

It's possible that you are too tight of course. But evaluate why and when you get stuck and slime before you decide to have some saline removed?

tmf

Herein lies a true secret of each Bandster that must be carefully observed.

I've had several 'long episodes' of heavy slimes and PBing, which were always under these conditions:

1) Error in eating procedure: too much, too fast, too dry....usually from going too long and being too hungry to follow the NEW 'Rules of Eating'';

2) shortly after a little fill which initially seemed to be inconsequential but in short order proved that 'too tight' can be hard to self-diagnose;

3) outright concern of esophageal dysmotility and/or a host of other similar issues.

In my 3rd year postOp I did go 'too DAMN tight' for about 4 months without having it properly adjusted.

In my 4th year postOp, just to prove I'm a slow learner, I did it again.

And recently, I suffered over about 18 months of ever-increasing symptoms.

This was thoroughly investigated by multiple barium swallows, a upper GI under sedation, a series of consults with my med team, and finally self diagnosis of being again too tight. A little out 7 months ago gave major relief, with some remaining complaint. A little further out 3 months ago has provided almost 100% relief.

Although it has become too easy to eat too much once again, I am undertaking steps to overcome this little episode.

Do not underestimate the NEED to 'adjust/readjust/reevaluate' and by all means seek to understand what a pattern of symptoms may well indicate.

Cheers on your journey

I too was a little tight,my 3rd fill, but had some taken out and gained25 lbs , so be very careful to go back and see how you eating that could make all the difference in the world to you, before you have an unfill.

I had my surgery August 2012 and I'm now at a 7 cc fill. I've not had any trouble until now and I've not had a fill since January. I definitely cannot eat as much now and have to be very careful with some raw foods like carrots, cabbage. Apples and bananas are ok but I does take me about 3 hours to eat an entire apple. I'm finally seeing some movement in the old scale, stepped up consistent exercise. I'll keep a watch on this and if I continue these sliming episodes I'll have to think about letting a little out. The episodes are seeming to last longer and the carrot debacle made me vomit twice.

Many' date=' if not most, new bandsters do not eat like a bandster. I know after 2 fills I thought I was doing it right. I thought I was eating the right foods too. I met with a nutritionist late in my 4th month and she set me straight. I made some minor changes to what I ate and snacked. The 3rd fill and her advice made all the difference.

tmf[/quote']

Just curious, what do you mean by "many, if not most, new bandsters don't eat like a bandster"

Just in a sense they don't eat the right foods? I'd love to be as best informed as I can. I'm 9 days post op and feel pretty educated on the band, do your advice is welcomed!

Just curious, what do you mean by "many, if not most, new bandsters don't eat like a bandster"

Just in a sense they don't eat the right foods? I'd love to be as best informed as I can. I'm 9 days post op and feel pretty educated on the band, do your advice is welcomed!

No, the foods we all eat may be different but it's how we eat that's important.

You've heard the saying and will hear it a lot, that we need to eat small bites and chew, chew, chew to mush and we need to do this slowly and methodically. Many believe they do eat this way but seem to have no problem eating slider foods like chips, ice cream, Soups, lasagna, macaroni and cheese etc. If we can eat these foods and not eat healthy foods like lean meats, vegetables, fruits that means we must not be eating small bites and chewing propertly. Because if we were eating correctly, the foods we eat would resemble the same mush consistency of the aforementioned slider foods and pass through our bands without the stuck episodes that doom some bandsters.

It took me about 10 months to figure out how to eat correctly. Some others it may take less or more time. We're all different but many bandsters fail, simply because they refuse to eat correctly. After all, we all have a lifetime of eating incorrectly and changing old habits dies hard.

tmf

No' date=' the foods we all eat may be different but it's how we eat that's important.

You've heard the saying and will hear it a lot, that we need to eat small bites and chew, chew, chew to mush and we need to do this slowly and methodically. Many believe they do eat this way but seem to have no problem eating slider foods like chips, ice cream, Soups, lasagna, macaroni and cheese etc. If we can eat these foods and not eat healthy foods like lean meats, vegetables, fruits that means we must not be eating small bites and chewing propertly. Because if we were eating correctly, the foods we eat would resemble the same mush consistency of the aforementioned slider foods and pass through our bands without the stuck episodes that doom some bandsters.

It took me about 10 months to figure out how to eat correctly. Some others it may take less or more time. We're all different but many bandsters fail, simply because they refuse to eat correctly. After all, we all have a lifetime of eating incorrectly and changing old habits dies hard.

tmf[/quote']

That makes compete sense, thank you!

The times that I make most "errors in eating" are these, in no particular order:

starving hungry, in a hurry, gulp it down

distracted

not chewing adequately

ignore that little 'something wrong' whisper and continue to eat

overeat, ie 'eat when not hungry' but trying to finish

sport eating

trying to talk on phone/eat at same time

there are others

There IS a difference in method between Old Morbidly Obese emotional eating frenzy, vs New Bandster Rational eating for health, IMHO.