Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! My BMI is close to 32.. yes I am obese and I am very depressed and on 3 meds. I am self pay for the lap band...and fills will cost 400 each' date=' This is alot of money for me, as I am on disability. The surgery itself is 15,000. I am afraid I am not in the right frame of mind right now. I am desperate to lose the weight, but I binge eat and I eat when I am stressed.

How hard will it be to resist eating with the band. I am not afraid of the surgery, but I am afraid I will want to binge...

SOS help thanks

right now none of my clothes fit. I used to be 146, then 157 163 182 195 now 207 OMG I am so sick and sad.[/quote']

The band can help by letting you know when you've had enough but if you eat even when you aren't hungry the surgery won't be as effective.

I would encourage you to spend several months trying to follothe post operative guidelines for how to eat so your prepared for the changes in how you eat. Also try to develop a habit of exercise so that's a habit before the surgery it will be one less thing to stress about while learning to adapt to the band.

I would also encourage you to spend some time learning about why you eat. There's a fine book called the Emotional First Aid Kit reading it and trying to learn from it before deciding about the surgery may help you on your journey.

On a personal note I weighed more than 207 lbs in Jr high. Remember your weight is just a number the purpose of the band is to give you a tool to be healthier overall. Eating is just one part of that.

The band is a great tool but you need to know how to use it and the more prep you do before hand the more likely you'll be successful.

Hi everyone! My BMI is close to 32.. yes I am obese and I am very depressed and on 3 meds. I am self pay for the lap band...and fills will cost $400 each, This is alot of money for me, as I am on disability. The surgery itself is $15,000. I am afraid I am not in the right frame of mind right now. I am desperate to lose the weight, but I binge eat and I eat when I am stressed.

How hard will it be to resist eating with the band. I am not afraid of the surgery, but I am afraid I will want to binge...

SOS help thanks

right now none of my clothes fit. I used to be 146, then 157 163 182 195 now 207 OMG I am so sick and sad.

Are you on Social Security disability? After 24 months you're eligible for Medicare coverage and bariatric surgery is a covered procedure.

BTW, my starting BMI was 48, I'm at 33 now...thrilled to be obese...4 pts to overweight! Losing 15 points on my BMI has made a huge difference.

Yes,

I am on Social Security Disability-8 yrs now. My bariatric doctor knows I have medicare and blue cross/blue sheild as a secondary..but she never asked me if I was on SS.

All she said was since my BMI was so low Medicare would not pay for it...

I will ask again.

thanks for the tip

Congrats and your success. That is quite a drop in weight. I am proud of you.

Do you live in Maui, what a lovely place. I have beem there once- when I was thin!

Yes' date='

I am on Social Security Disability-8 yrs now. My bariatric doctor knows I have medicare and blue cross/blue sheild as a secondary..but she never asked me if I was on SS.

All she said was since my BMI was so low Medicare would not pay for it...

I will ask again.

thanks for the tip

Congrats and your success. That is quite a drop in weight. I am proud of you.

Do you live in Maui, what a lovely place. I have beem there once- when I was thin![/quote']

Because of the risks of surgery if your BMI is below 35 approval often requires a comorbidity such as hypertension; diabetes, or heart disease.

Hello everybody! I was banded 5 days ago and my BMI was 32. This was my highest ever. I have been overweight for the last 10 years and you know the rest of the story of loosing and gaining all back and more, etc. I decided for the band because I realized that was not going to get any better at this point. I was really tired all the time, feeling depressed, not happy with myself, with PCOS, insulin resistance and taking 3 meds a day. I didn't have the normal diseases to be a candidate but my health problems were enough for my doctor. No to mention that I want to have a family someday and with this weight and PCOS is almost possible. Some people might think we are crazy because we took a drastic decision being not that big. But I truly think I took this decision BEFORE it was just to late for me. I always read stories about people wishing to have the band way before, and for me this was my only hope to get my life back. Maybe I was not as heavy as people might think about a lap band patient, but health is health, no matter what is your size, and being healthy is priceless right now! I'm only 5 days after surgery and I have loose 10 pounds, my BMI dropped to 30.9 and its not even a week! I'm blessed to have this opportunity.

Congrats lolarose13! Couldn't agree more with your post. Sounds a lot like my story.

Hope you drop in and let us know how it's going. Doing good here.

I have a low BMI, I have no intentions of losing 100lbs or more....having a stroke is just as drastic as any surgery or lifestyle change you can put me through.

This is not intended as a personal attack against anyone who has already had the lap band but I have to say getting a lap band when you have less than 15 pts to lose off your BMI to be a healthy weight is very dangerous. You are simply more likely to experience complications than experience other health risks. It's like having your gall bladder removed just to avoid something going wrong with your gall bladder.

On a second note as unfair as it is; it trivializes the procedure and feeds the social idea that WLS is an easy fix for people too lazy to just diet and exercise. It's an unfair assessment but rarely ate social views fueled by a fair and objective outlook.

I firmly believe WLS should be a last resort for losing weight.

This is your opinion and I doubt it is a medical opinion. WLS is an individual decision. What you are doing is the same as the rest of society.... judging others based on your own insecurities. If anyone wants WLS, anyone can get it. It's not just for certain people. If it helps a person, than it is worth it.

Wow...what an interesting thread. And I realized that I have a prejudice against those who are obese based on BMI, but not obese as in 'I have to lose at least 100 or more pounds.' I didn't even recognize this until reading these posts. Part of me thinks if you need to lose 50 lbs. or less, there's no need for WLS but I think it's just because I'm one of those people needing to lose so much weight. I was 267 lbs. and my BMI was over 50. I'm down to 199 and in order to move to 'overweight' from 'obese', I need to be 150 lbs.

Now I'm thinking who am I to judge someone else's journey? Why should my needing to lose over 100 lbs. be more critical than someone who has to lose a lot less. Fat is fat...doesn't matter how fat.

Or...maybe not. Fred has a point about surgery being a drastic step. It is. Should someone consider surgery if they don't have a ton of weight to lose?

I certainly don't have the answer...I don't know if there is an answer. The insurance companies often determine the criteria...which is so convoluted yet as the payer, I guess they have the right to do so.

Anyway, debate is good as long as it doesn't get personal and I enjoy reading differing opinions on topics surrounding weight loss.

Wow... This thread has had some very interesting comments. I agree. Very drastic step to take. But what others fail to understand is that this wasn't a matter of just 'losing a few pounds' no GOOD surgeon would do it for that sole purpose. This was a decision based on my personal situation. My struggle with depression. My seemingly endless battle with my weight because of the medication I had to take to function normally. Depression is a crippling disease. I am 25. Have a career have a loving family and the world at my feet but at the time of my illness I felt I had nothing and no one and that I was worth nothing. I feel taking this step HAS saved my life in more ways then one. Firstly I come from a family of obesity and diabetes it killed my grandmother a year ago. This surgery has at least halved my risk of becoming a type II diabetic. I can not change any genetic predisposition but I can control my environment and that is where a band has been a great tool for me. Secondly. I was headed down a very dark path. I had never considered self harm or suicide throughout my depression BUT had I continued to battle on my own, who knows if I would be here today.

I no longer take anti depressants

I no longer suffer anxiety

Within 6 months I am down to a healthy 65kgs (from approx 80kg)

I am strictly monitored by my surgeon to ensure I do not become "under weight"

I am a new person

Some of the comments on here appear to be all about the facts and the figures but its quite ignorant to think that weigh loss is just about numbers. Something to think about

I had my surgery 4 weeks ago and On the day had a BMI of 29 and no co morbidaties...

But the point is I was overweight.. Previously having had a BMI of 34 and sick of 14 years of being on a diet..

Done all diets know to man and lost weight well, but my ability to sustain the loss is poor.

I have obesity in my family, and I been fighting a constant battle to not allow my BMI to return to the over 30's. I am only 33 with 3 small children.

And don't want to have another 14+ years obsessed with my weight.

I know for me the lap band is about prevention not cute. I have lost 4kg already, putting me at 71kg.

Finally my battle with food is over, I can now live my life..

And don't want to have another 14+ years obsessed with my weight.

Finally my battle with food is over, I can now live my life..

Exactly how I felt :)

Wow what a crappy feeling when you're too fat for society and are made fun of, feel unhealthy, and cannot lose weight always hungry, your weight is just going up and up but then are made to feel like you're not obese enough within the obese community. Well. Here's my take; I have a bmi of 31.9. I'm 5'3" and 180lbs and I feel like shit. but I've been worse. 4yrs ago I was 260lbs and I had the band placed. I lost 130lbs. I felt amazing, like I was finally the girl I felt like I was deep down. I could wear cute clothes and had confidence again. But my band slipped after 2yrs bc it was too tight and my fill dr didn't want to take any Fluid out he thought I was just overeating and I didn't push the issue. I've gained 50lbs since then in 2yrs. So I'm having the band put back in next week. I'm scared it won't work as well as it did the first time when I lost 15lbs week one and 45 the first month. 90lbs the first year! Well I only have 50lbs to lose so yeah it will be slower but I still hope for 10-15lbs the first month...mainly cuz it's summer and I hate wearing cardigans and longer sleeves bc I hate my fatty upper arms. I know it's not how fast u lose, but if u say u don't want it to come off at a quicker rate, you're lying! So, my point is...if I don't get the band, I WILL be 260lbs again within another 2yrs. I'm not willing to ever go back to that misery and depressed state I lived in for so many years. I only have one body and one life and ppl can say "oh if I only had 50lbs to lose, I'd be happy!" But that wouldn't be the case if you were there. Yeah maybe if you'd already lost a bunch of weight and were on your way down, you'd be glad you only had 50 to go. But you wouldn't be happy and content staying 50lbs overweight and probably gaining more. And it is no easier to lose weight at 180 as it is at 260. If anything it's harder bc the weight comes off faster the bigger you are. We're all dealing with the same feelings and issues. We're unhappy and want to do something about it.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Kma87 thank so much for being brave enough to share your story. I am at 34 bmi and it's the heaviest i have been in my life since I was put on Cymbalta for my fibromyalgia. The weight came on so fast...spiraling out of control and negatively impacting my mental and emotional as well as physical well-being. My doctor agrees that based on my history and the rapid weight gain that lap band is the healthy next step for me. I am scheduled for July. Thank you again for your post. The weight from these medications is not controlled by regular means and I am happy to have this bariatric option to regain a healthy weight.

Edited by girlhasgreeneyes