Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too soon for scar therapy?

Hello, I have heard so many people say they start treating their wounds/scars almost immediately. I've also read it on many medical websites. I'm a week out of brachioplasty and tissue excision under both arms. I called my physicians office yesterday to ask if I could put any creams or ointments on and was told not until I go back in a week to get the stitches out. I had just begun putting triple antibiotic pain cream on after showering, so last 3 days. Please tell me what you all are doing that works for you. Thanks.

well, speaking for me, my 5 incisions at 6 months out are barely visable...the only one you can (visually see) is port one. its a very light pink. to me its not a big deal as i dont blame on being in my pink polka dot bikini anytime soon..but as the time passes, they do fad....

i have had several major surgeries, and the scars are almost not there.

Thanks Carolinagirl, my lap band and TT scars especially are visible. It's been 2.5 yrs since lapband and 1.5 since TT. The port site and TT are most visible because they are the largest scars. They are still raised as well, but are lightening up very little. That's why I want to be more proactive this time.

I did nothing per my Dr instruction and I am 2 years out and they are all 5 invisable.

I'll consider mine battle wounds of a war that I will surely win.

Floridays, that's great. I wish I had such luck, or better skin for healing (keloids). However, I'm thankful that I'm 70+ pounds lighter, less excess skin and fat hanging from my stomach and arms. I'll take that with a few scars. Maybe with even more time they will continue to lighten. Thanks!

I had breast reduction surgery YEARS ago and I do recall that my surgeon gave me something in a pill form to help with the scaring...............don't remember what, but if you didn't know it, you couldn't see my scars.

I would wait a while. I've had a TT and breast lift and neck lift. The TT was in May of this year and most of the scars are gone. The most important thing is not to get any sun on them for the first year. I have used the silicone tape. It's pricey but research has shown it's the only thing that really does anything. Beware of Vitamin E. Using it on the skin does absolutely nothing and can actually cause other problems. Several big studies have been done to test the effectivness of Vitamin E and they have all proven that it has zero effect.

I would definitely wait until the stitches are out, but I found Argan oil massaged in daily works well.

Happy New Year!

Thank you all so much. I did rub Vitamin e oil and bio oil on my TT scars and it wasn't very effective. I have been taking arnica and bromelflex (vitamin c, bromelain, turmeric rhizome extract, and citrus bioflavonoid) via pills in hopes that it wold help the bruising, discomfort, and may initial scarring.

Oh and I have silicone sheets ready for after stitches are out.

I would also wait until the stitches are out and the incisions are healed. I have a product from our dermatologist that is called Kelo Coat. Its for keloid scars but I put it on my incisions from my gallbladder surgery just a week ago and its almost gone now. Its expensive though about 50 dollars a tube but worth the scar disappearing. My scars from the lapband are gone.

Cheryl2586, I'm going to see if my dr will prescribe some after my stitches are out. Thanks.

Follow your Dr. Orders, remember the scars will look worse before they start to look better. Their is not much to do in the first few weeks until the bandages, tape, drained etc are out. Than you will start to treat them. Some of the worse scars now look the best. I had a body lift a year ago.

Thanks rosstheboss. I guess I'm anxious because my TT scars are still so prominent after a year and a half. I definitely don't want that for my arms. I'm ready to get my stitches out Thursday so I can get started. I have to admit, I don't do we'll with removing stitches, like a kid. I'm hoping I don't scream too loud. I don't know what it is about getting stitches removed that gets me other than the pain of course.