Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has any one had trouble or been instruced not to eat corn,

I know this is a bad time to ask as I had it with dinner last night, It didnt even dawn on me untill my loving husband said, isnt corn on the not so good list?

:faint:

I was going to make corn chowder tonight and take my portion and put it in the food processor. Is it still a no-no even doing it that way?

Corn, popcorn and nuts are on my "avoid" list but I have heard many people here say they do fine with those foods. I'm sure your band will tell you if corn is a no-no for you. As stated my another person, corn is not the healthiest choice... high sugar content and a poor carbohydrate choice.

Neither my Doctor nor my Nutritionist said anything about corn. Well, popcorn but not corn corn. Hmmmm. I know it's high in sugars and carbs and that's probably a reason to avoid it on an everyday level but I would think that it's OK to have sometimes. I know that corn doesn't digest or break down very well for most people, hence the phrase, In a corn, Out a corn. Good question. Anyone else out there want to chime in here? Now I'm worried about eating the stuff.

Ok, sorry if this is gross to anyone, but you can't chew corn very well, and it (and all plant cell walls) are hard to digest. That's why you umm... poo it out so visibly. A long-time bandster I know can eat it w/o problems, but I've been too afraid to try. If it's visible in poo, I don't want to risk it getting through that little bandhole. ;)

the problem with corn, is not really the "tolerating" it. it is soft and mushy when chewed. it is the fact that it is high in sugar. eat it if you like, just accept the fact if ou choose corn regularly over broccoli or spinach don't be suprised by your slower weight loss.

I just got done eating some with dinner tonight. It is not something I have very often but every now and again it is the veggie of choice.

My nutrionist was firm and clear about corn: NO-NO! too much sugar, too many calories. It's surely a NO-NO if you're on a weight loss diet (independently if you are banded or not).

I guess if you use just a little portion to add some colour and flavour to a greens salad, with broccoli or similar, it won't make much harm, but even so, I try to stay away from it...

niki

There is no "do not touch" food list.

If you can handle it, eat it. Carbs are not bad, they are in fact, your friend. We need to eat the whole range of foods, not just protien.

One ear of sweet white corn:

83.2 calories, Protein 2.6, fat 1.0, carbs 19.3, Fiber 2.1, sodium 13.1

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_food.html

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c21VS.html for more complete corn information