Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband Versus Adderall?

Hi there,

Banded 11/9/12

A few years ago I was put on Adderall for a few months, but discontinued after some unpleasant side effects. I hated the experience overall (it didn't help my concentration issues), but it was the only time in my life I was close to a healthy weight, because I was almost never hungry--except in the morning and after going all day forgetting to eat.

For those who have been prescribed Adderall or similiar, I wonder--is the feeling of being in the Green Zone similar to that feeling of not being hungry? Or how would you compare the two feelings?

I realize this is a silly question. Thanks for any insight.

I would not recommend a never hungry drug, malnutrition comes to mind. Go with Lap Band and I glad I did! Merry Christmas!

In my experience of appetite suppressants - duromine and tenuate back in the 80s - not similar at all. Those drugs made me buzz,I was super duper efficient, high energy, absolutely ploughing through my tasks and getting o much done, forgetting to eat in the process. I could look at food and feel no desire for it, never got cravings and easily lost 10kg quickly. Yes, I was prescribed tenuate at 16 years old for a 10kg weight problem!!!!

The band just allows me to gt full on smaller amounts, I still crave things, still am prone to making a bad choice because I saw something yummy, still occasionally over eat for my capacity because I don't want to stop, but my capacity for old is less and desire is slightly blunted, once I'm full I very suddenly stop wanting.

I don't get inappropriately physically hungry but my body still sends urgent signs that I need food - with the drugs I literally could have starved with no protest at all from my body.

I liken having a band to my third pregnancy wher I ad a booming 9lb breech baby sitting up under my ribs - I wanted and needed to eat but only small quantities old fit.

I took adderhal and for me it was a miracle drug but not because of my appetite. I had terrible side affects and had to stop. It took months of trying similar meds to find one that works. I am now on ritilan. It's not as good as the adderhal but I don't think I could do a well back on my band without it.for me it's the focus and it makes me not so impulsive. I call it my no voice I never had before. I have lost 29 lbs since starting back and following the drs guidelines. Since the end of October. I would never ever advocate taking a drug like adderhal for the sole purpose of an appetite suppressant.

Consider therapy before drugs or surgery, or with surgery. I hope you can resolve this issue soon!

Happy New Year!

I've already had the surgery. I clearly wrote "banded 11/9/12." Also, I'm not looking for recommendations. As my post very clearly stated, I was already prescribed Adderall and chose to go off it because I didn't like the side effects. My question is directed towards people who have taken Adderall in the past--I'm not looking for opinions about the efficacy of Adderall, since I already know what it's like and can no longer use it.

Piece of advice. Take what you can use and ignore the comments you know are useless. You will never win if you spend any energy on know it alls.

Thanks.I was beginning to wonder if I hadn't worded my original post clearly.

Just saying you all don't know everyone else's challenges including if someone has been through therapy or anything else. Please keep your comments to the questions at hand. You may not know or understands someone else's struggles.

Thanks.I was beginning to wonder if I hadn't worded my original post clearly.

I understood you fully the first time but have no experience with the topic. There's a mental health forum you might try posting there for more accurate feedback/discussion.