Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Big Book Of Lap-Band ... Major Oversight

So, it's been a while since I last posted on Lap-Band talk. I received the e-mail last week about the new book from the creator of this website. I think the book is good...for pre-op purposes only. Most of the books on the market are targeted at novices and not at the of us who have been living with a band and still struggle ever day. I was just hoping this new book would do more to address life multiple years past ones surgery.

Sadly, I asked my doctor about this and she said what I am experiencing now four years out is sadly more normal than not. I did really well before the surgery, but ran out of steam too quickly and slipped into some nasty habits. I went through 1 year eating a LOT of ice cream. Last spring I was actually down to 240 (20lbs from my goal). Over the summer, I gained it all back -plus another 10 for sport!

This post is more of a need to acknowledge that some of us struggle for years post-op. There are days when I just get so tired of the struggle and just want to give in.

Recently, my doctor recommended I do Protein Shakes for three days. I learned during this time that I really can go days without feeling hunger, but I just wish I could turn off the thought hunger. At least in my house, I've thrown away all of my food but Protein shakes, shooters, and calorie controlled meals. However, so much of my social life is built around going out with friends to eat. When I go out, I just find myself selecting really bad choices.

I just need encouragement. I get, I eat. I eat, I gain weight. I gain weight, I get more depressed.

Grrr....l

Wanna Be FFK (former fat kid)

Sigh. Look, I have just accepted that I an "sick", suffering from obesity and I always will be.

There will never be a time when I eat what I want when I want and stay thin. I will always struggle with wanting to eat more than I can burn off. I think it comes from both sides of the equation - hightened appetite with slower metabolism.

I could be diabetic, could have a rare genetic order, or Parkinsons or lupus or epilepsy and I would need medical attention and medication to manage that condition for life. I dont suffer from those diseases, I suffer from obesity. Thankfully, with a positive attitude,I have a damn good tool for managing it. Like any disease, some periods of my life I will manage better than others. I have gotten too skinny, I've regained more than I wanted, I've been in despair becuase although my body is no longer fat, I have had weeks of eating chocolate till I want to puke, or let my insane carb and sugar addiction take over again. But it is always possible to get back on track.

Thank god I love to run, spin and go to the gym. It really really helps. And if you dont love it, well do it anyway. Unlike eating, exercise IS all about willpower. If you're able bodied then you can and should be doing it. And pushing hard.

I think the sooner we all face up to that harsh reality, the sooner we can stop beating ourselves up over what we perceive as moral failings, and start the business of managing a disease.

So well said.

The unfortunate part of food addiction and obesity is that most folks dont view this as a disease. To them, we are out of control. Lazy. Slobs.

Social scrutiny makes this even more challenging to manage.

Although i have struggled with my band--7 years out and recently got rebanded--i am so grateful to have this tool to help me control some of the problem. I hold myself accountable for the rest of the equation--which is exercise and dedication to be better to myself in all ways.

Personally, I plan to start seeing someone about emotional eating. I know i need to treat this from a few directions if i am going to make it work over a lifetime.

Wannabe...have you considered seeing a therapist to help out with the sabotage and head hunger? It may prove helpful.

Hang in there. You can turn this around.

I agee with everyone. I have to recommit to this journey daily. I have to remind myself of where I was and where I want to be. I have been banded 4 yrs, and I've had a wave of highs and lows. I've gained, but not major. I'm getting back on track. I'm exercising and forgiving myself for not giving my all. It will get better in time.

Stay encouraged people

So, it's been a while since I last posted on Lap-Band talk. I received the e-mail last week about the new book from the creator of this website. I think the book is good...for pre-op purposes only. Most of the books on the market are targeted at novices and not at the of us who have been living with a band and still struggle ever day. I was just hoping this new book would do more to address life multiple years past ones surgery.

Sadly, I asked my doctor about this and she said what I am experiencing now four years out is sadly more normal than not. I did really well before the surgery, but ran out of steam too quickly and slipped into some nasty habits. I went through 1 year eating a LOT of ice cream. Last spring I was actually down to 240 (20lbs from my goal). Over the summer, I gained it all back -plus another 10 for sport!

This post is more of a need to acknowledge that some of us struggle for years post-op. There are days when I just get so tired of the struggle and just want to give in.

Recently, my doctor recommended I do Protein shakes for three days. I learned during this time that I really can go days without feeling hunger, but I just wish I could turn off the thought hunger. At least in my house, I've thrown away all of my food but Protein Shakes, shooters, and calorie controlled meals. However, so much of my social life is built around going out with friends to eat. When I go out, I just find myself selecting really bad choices.

I just need encouragement. I get, I eat. I eat, I gain weight. I gain weight, I get more depressed.

Grrr....l

Wanna Be FFK (former fat kid)

I have been away also, so fill me in on your details.....

How much weight did you initially loose?

How many cc's in what size band?

Would you say you once had good restriction?

I am only 2 years out......I can understand how easy it can be to eat bad foods....I have ice cream all the time...plus unhealthy Snacks, etc.

But for me, I depend upon a TIGHT band.....it prevents me from over indulging...I may grab a donut, but one bite/swallow and I can feel that lump, a pre-cursor to getting stuck.

so I HAVE to throw it away OR ELSE!

as a rule, I have always gone to 2-3 days periodically of straight liquids just to keep my pouch from over expanding....that's the only "True" maintenance I do...I believe I need to give it a rest from time to time.

I believe our pouches will stretch allowing me to eat larger portions.....I will notice that I am eating more than usual, and taking longer than usual to feel restriction. It is then I will go with all liquids, shakes, Soups, etc, to give my pouch a rest, letting it return to normal size. I have seen x-rays of over sized pouches, and it is not pretty. Some refer to this a the 5-day pouch test...but it's just giving it a time out for a few days, letting things settle down.

Another thing I have found, is because our food intake is so small for so long, our lower (actual) stomachs shrink! So, even if I partake in "Slider" foods such as ice cream, or have more than one beer, I can feel that traditional "Stuffed" unbuckle my pants feeling very quickly.....before being banded it would take a lot to get that feeling, now it happens very quickly with food that passes through the band easily.

Another thing, for me, having the band adjusted as it is, I am very seldom hungry.....a characteristic of the "Green Zone".....does not mean I won't crave something like ice cream, but in actuality I am not hungry....

If I am occupied with some activity for the day, I can forget about eating at all....I have to remind myself to stop and eat something. Plus, like I said, eating less keeps my band tight. But it is important to me to keep busy also.

And lastly, daily exercising is key!!! Aside from life with the band...exercising can cover a myriad of sins! The same way skinny people eat bad things and get away with it!

Loosing weight is, and always will be, all about burning more calories than you consume.....we are banded to restrict our calorie intake because we could not do it on our own by willpower......but we still need to take the initiative to burn off more than we take in.

3500 calories burned more than consumed will equal 1 lb of fat....

My problem is that I'm not burning enough calories. I work out regularly, but something is not going right. Maybe I neef to have more liquids a day and less solids. I'm trying to figure it out. I was doing so well, and it two days the scale is up. I'm confused. My cycle came, so it could be Water weight, but I'm very nervous about it, because I haven't been lazy so I should have some benefits.

Go back to the basics and follow them. If you still have head hunger issues, you have two choices, live with them an d continue to struggle or get professional help with the underlying issues. I can say that because I have had to follow my own advice!

I'm trying to do both. Its just one of those days. I'm doing my best to eat right. Today I'm having a tight band day. I wasn't home, cause I was caring for a friend of the family. I ended up eating Soup. chicken and rice. I don't think it was the soup was the best choice. Its sitting on my stomach. I don't normally eat rice, but for some reason I did. I think I need some broth.< /p>