Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Losing - What's Up?

I was banded Oct. 12, and lost 13 pounds quickly. After a week, all weight loss stopped. My first fill appointment was six weeks later, and I discovered that I already had 2.5 cc. in the band. An attempt was made to double that, but I couldn't swallow Water, so 1 cc was removed. Now I'm able to eat more than I want to, and I'm not losing very much (maybe 2 pounds). I expected more, but I know I'm doing well. Is anybody else disappointed at slow weight loss?

I am disappointed by my slow weight loss. Banded on Sept 17th, started pre op on Sept 2nd and am at 27lbs, 19 of those were pre op and 1st week post op. I am no where near restriction, trying to eat 1200 calories/day - more like 1100-1400 depending on the day and activity level. But am really trying. Am at the gym 4x a week. Going for my 3rd fill in 2 weeks. My clinic fills very slowely.........1cc at a time. At least I am not gaining, but after paying $16k, that is not really good enough right now.

15 lbs in less than 2 months is very good. No need to worry or be concerned. You're in bandster hell and will be till you get the fill that takes you to the green zone. I lost 12 lbs immediately and then nothing for the next 3.5 months.

"Until there's restriction, it's just another diet"...B-52 esteemed forum member.

tmf

yes...THE SAME.

Did well for one week losing 11 lbs and then over the next 4 weeks..only 5 lbs. Had a fill Friday...cant really tell much difference. I will say i stay full a little longer but thats if.

yes...irritated kind of..was so hoping for more. I have not cheated...eat my cup of food and thats it.

I see on this forum a lot of people speak about eating a cup of food three times a day. How do you do that? My pouch is a 4 ounce pouch. I'm sure that must be the standard size. A cup of food seems like it would be more than 4 ounces. I tried to eat a cup of food and couldn't do it. Is there something I'm not understanding because I would love to eat a cup of anything that's healthy.

I can eat way more than a cup of almost anything. I do stay full for a good while. I get very hungry in between and realize that I have to find something to satisfy me until mealtime. I'm able to eat more than expected by eating and chewing slowly and taking sips of Water in between some bites. I have begun to eat things I shouldn't due to discouragement and no weight loss. I do know its my failure. So I'm back on it right this minute. Thanx to all of you for your comments. (This is harder than I thought).

Some of the experienced ones will chime in im sure...but a cup of food isnt that much really and what we are supposed to eat..no more than that. then you have to think about chewing that cup of food to mush and it dont end up to be that much in reality going down

The goal of the lap band is slow but steady weight loss. It sounds like you are doing fine. Everyone loses at a different rate.

I was advised to limit my meals to 5 oz by volume; 3 of lean Protein and 2 of a healthy Fiber carb choice.

Until you have some restriction, you will likely have to be creative with identifying ways to manage your hunger between meals. For me sipping Water to reach my daily goal of 60 Fluid oz a day helped immensely...along with distracting myself with projects around the house or exercise.

The band is only a tool; you have to learn how to use it properly and understand the unique relationship you will have with your band. Just because you can eat more than a cup of healthy foods does not mean you should. Until you have restriction you will be able to eat just about anything you want to...however again, just because you can doesn't mean that you should.

Your weight loss success will be directly tied to how completely you embrace and follow the "bandster" way of life of strict adherence to Portion Control, healthy food choices and regular exercise.

1200 calories a day does seem to be high for weight loss. For those of you who feel that your weight loss has stalled, look at what and how much you are eating. Through my own experiences, I have identified 3 reasons why I won't loose weight; not enough calories, not enough exercise and not enough Protein.

The band, being the tool that it is provides for a slower rate of weight loss, which in my opinion is a healthier way to loose weight. I've had to learn to become patient. The reality is that you did not become obese quickly, nor will you loose weight rapidly.

Take a day and a pound at a time...and stay focused on your goals. Everyday there are choices to make...make yours healthy ones to be successful.

Best wishes for everyone's weight loss success...

I see on this forum a lot of people speak about eating a cup of food three times a day. How do you do that? My pouch is a 4 ounce pouch. I'm sure that must be the standard size. A cup of food seems like it would be more than 4 ounces. I tried to eat a cup of food and couldn't do it. Is there something I'm not understanding because I would love to eat a cup of anything that's healthy.

Your understanding of how this all works is inaccurate. No one has a 4 oz pouch. We all have a one bite at a time pouch. The pouch above the band is only there to allow one bite at a time to pass through the band to the lower stomach. It does not hold 4 or 8 ozs of food. The band is designed for us to eat one bite at a time. The pouch will massage the bite of food through the band in about one minute. That's why we are instructed to eat slowly.

And all of you are experiencing what most all bandsters go through. The period between being banded and finding restriction can take up to 6 months. Yeah, I know, no one told you about this part of your journey? But now you know. You will be in bandster hell until you find enough restriction to find satiation by eating 1/2 - 1 cup of food. Satiation is the goal here.

I highly recommend you watch all 4 videos of this series, but at the minimum, watch this video. It will demonstrate what your band is doing.2:30 minutes into the video begins to explain how this all works?

The video was great thank you so much for putting that up. I can feel it working like that now but people talk about what it is n the inside so differently . Back to the problem at hand and month weight los should be 8-10 lbs and u are doing fine it doesn't matter what part of the month it came off just that it did. The band doesn't make u loss weight it keeps u from being hungry...so the junk we put into our band is still junk. get it out of your house and work place. go over the rules again and do some meal planning and track everything and get your fill 1 cc or less every 2 wks if u need to, to be in the green zone. good luck

Yes let's talk about how much you should be eating. The pouch is only supposed to be able to hold 4 ounces of food. That is a half cup. I have not starved in three years on a half cup of food. A cup of food is a misconception. Next time you go to your doctor dont ask him how much you are supposed to be eating ask him how many ounces your pouch should hold. His answer may surprise you. He is not going to tell you 8 ounces which is a cup. The whole idea is to have enough calorie deficit to lose weight. Starvation mode is also a misconception. Your body has no choice but to eventually lose weight on less food. Just because you can eat more why do you. Follow instructions and you will lose. I can not possibly eat a cup of food. When you eat more then four ounces the food is backing up in to your esophagus whether you can feel it or not thus causing the esophagus to dialate.

Realize that you are not supposed to stuff the pouch, my doctor told me the pouch can hold no more than one ounce of food at a time. This does not mean you can only eat one ounce at a meal. The food is constantly moving past the band, about a small bite every minute.

Chew well and eat slowly, pausing 1 minute after you swallow well chewed food. You may be able to eat more or less than one cup but you are expected to stop eating once your hunger is satisfied.

My doctor expects me to eat half a cup of Protein first followed by half a cup of veggies. If I am still hungry, I can have a quarter to half cup carbs. The green zone comes when you can eat comfortably without getting stuck and do not feel hungry between meals.

Yes let's talk about how much you should be eating. The pouch is only supposed to be able to hold 4 ounces of food. That is a half cup. I have not starved in three years on a half cup of food. A cup of food is a misconception. Next time you go to your doctor dont ask him how much you are supposed to be eating ask him how many ounces your pouch should hold. His answer may surprise you. He is not going to tell you 8 ounces which is a cup. The whole idea is to have enough calorie deficit to lose weight. Starvation mode is also a misconception. Your body has no choice but to eventually lose weight on less food. Just because you can eat more why do you. Follow instructions and you will lose. I can not possibly eat a cup of food. When you eat more then four ounces the food is backing up in to your esophagus whether you can feel it or not thus causing the esophagus to dialate.

Like I said and PGKpjs said, your pouch does not hold 4 ozs of food. It's really not a pouch. It's a staging area for the food to pass through to your stomach. It should only have one bite of food in it at one time. If you are stuffing your face with 4 ozs of food at one time, then you are stretching out your esophogus.

tmf

My doctor expects me to eat half a cup of Protein first followed by half a cup of veggies. If I am still hungry, I can have a quarter to half cup carbs. The green zone comes when you can eat comfortably without getting stuck and do not feel hungry between meals.

This is precisely how I was instructed to eat as well.

tmf thanks for posting that video. Very helpful and a nice refresher!