Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Did You Decide You Were Through Being Fat

You know we have all dieted and gained a whole lot . But one day it clicks and we say enough??? No more and we go to WSL ..

For me I was in the hospital for emergency Gall Bladder surgery and said to the surgeon why don't you throw a lapband on while you are in there . And he said lets talk about that when we are done. First of all I was amazed he thought I was FAT enough to be a candidate(true denial) . Second my husband was onboard immediately(more denial)Third that I was actually FAT enough that BCBS would cover it.

It toook me 17 monthes to get to the operating table but 4 days before I got the official approval from insurance happen to be New Years Eve. I cried myself to sleep I just could not face another year OF BEING FAT, and I said ENOUGH I will have this surgery and if I have to beg borrow or steal it I will self pay . Understand this was a luxury and I did not give myself luxuries ever. It was the cost of a Boat. A darn nice vacation or two. Something for the kids like a house down payment and I was going to spend it on just me???????? YUP.

That was the day for me when I figured out that I was worth it. No more FAT NEW YEARS , no more I will do this on my own, no more guilt, no more shame, no more pills. I had to get to the point that it was enough and once I got there I never looked back.

well i was out of the (fat) category and into the morbid obese terms and soon to super obese...i couldnt hardly walk...was getting harder to take care of myself personally as my arms couldnt reach around my girth (sorry TMI) and i was in size 30 clothes and very concerned if they made them (bigger) and where to buy them...

but the turning point was my granddaughter just born. i wanted to be able to push her around the block in a stroller. that is my motivation. my eryn.

hope this is a good response to your post maya as its from my heart and 100% accurate.

my mother died.... and I believe she died because she wasn’t a good candidate for a surgery she needed because of several factors.. age (79), overall health / physical condition and weight (she was 5'4" @ 260). I watched as they had to constantly overcompensate for her weight...larger wheelchairs, bed with a scale in it, even a larger stretcher when she took her last ride to hospice.... It was a 7 month wake up call for me. That was in 2009.

At the same time but daughter gave birth to her first child and the baby died in childbirth. That was 3 weeks after my Mother's death. Needless to say it was a rough time. But it also opened my eyes to my own mortality. I was turning 50 the next year so I seriously considered my options but I never did anything about them.

Then I flew across country on business in August 2010. Southwest airlines decided I needed two seats. That was the final straw. I came home... started researching WLS, interviewed a couple of surgeons and made the decision in October. I was banded in December.

I'm happy for you & I'm glad it's working for you I felt exactly the same, I paid for it myself it was my last resort, however the bands not for everyone I'm not losing weight despite following everything I was told, I've given up which is sad & disappointing but I'm over it!!!

I wish you luck, sorry to be so negative but it's my story & it's the truth :)))

When I married I was in deniel of my size (wedding dress size 24). In my wedding pic I really saw my size, but still not ready to admit it. A year later I got pregnant and was so happy, but ended up losing the baby- six months later same thing. I went to a fertility doctor and my weight was 247 and they said that in front of my husband- I was mortified. I was almost 250, when would I stop 300.

At that point I toyed and research WLS, but was afraid. In 2011 I had to have gall bladder surgery- I was in pain all the time and sick. During that time I lost down to 232 and vowed to keep it off- 6 months later back to 244. I decided at that point to get more serious.

Finally in 2012 I told my husband I wanted to do it for me, I was tired of being fat and ugly. He supported me and In June I had surgery. Now down 45 lbs and so glad I took the step.

I always thought I was happy with myself inside and out but in reality it was just a cover up not to deal with my weight. I was always walking behind in family outings, I couldn't run after my 2 year old daughter and I was 100 pounds heavier than my husband. I decided to look into WLS and when I went to my first app and stepped on the scale for the first time, it read 299.5. I was shocked almost 300 pounds, I cried and decided enough was enough. 8 months later I had the surgery and today I said goodbye to the 220's. best thing I could of done.

Stepping on that scale really opened my eyes to the level of denial that I was living.

Stepping on that scale really opened my eyes to the level of denial that I was living.

Oh my gosh....me too. I stepped on the scale for the first time in a really long time at my first surgeon's appointment... I was figuring it would say 300. It said 377 which is pretty close to 400 lbs. I was mortified. Now I am on the scale twice daily and ignore people who tell me I am obsessed. Not being obsessed is what got me to 377 lbs!

Oh I forgot to add on that Fateful New Years Day I weighed a lot more then some of the football players in the games .They always give their height and weight. Decided I couldn't be a linebacker so I was going to do something so I wouldn't look like one. :angry:

Last year when I started to see my weight plumage! My body for years was getting too comfortable with being in the 280's for decades! But when I hit 304, then 310 and jumped right into 367 I knew something was wrong. I wasn't feeling right. sleeping a lot, the weight gain, swelling. My thyroid was a little off and I am being treated for that. Not to mention, I have degenerative hips (one replaced several years ago), I couldn't walk.

Today, I can walk so much better, move around faster, more agility. Best decision I ever made for myself. Yes, I wish I took control a very long time ago before it got out of hand with my health. Better late than never.....

The day my ex's new gf called me obese...enough said....I always thought I was smaller then her...woke me up to b called fat by another fat a$$ person.....lol....plus my daughter was just born n when I was pregnant I actually thought bout not having her bc I was afraid of getting fatter..just the thought if killing my first child bc I hsd wt issues was not fair. It wasnt her fault....it wad mines....I prayed to god n he told me to have his child that he blessed me with n he would take care of me....a year n half lster went from 392 to 296...banded june 14 2012.. lost 63 since then total 96 since I started my journey in jan

I had started looking into lap band in June 2010 had an appt set for the end of July and found out July 9 th I was pregnant... That scared me to death I was 39 over weight and on blood pressure medicine. And my 12 year old son was 9 weeks early due to complications and I was young then... Oh and not married to my bf of 6 years who is a "few " years older than me. So we got married and and I carried my daughter 9 months with no complications other than advanced maternal age... That's what they called me.. Anyway I had her went on weight watchers and lost 45 lbs and then Stopped..got stuck. Gained 10 lbs back and my husband said what about lap band? So I went to my first appt in sept 2012 had my surgery oct 17th and to date have lost 34 lbs... I've struggled my whole adult life with my weight and I don't want this to be something my daughter deals with, we eat less and healthier and I am so happy I financed the surgery... Yes it will be hard to afford the payments but when I think about what was around the corner for me... I believe it's well worth it.

I got so sick of trying every diet known to man kind to just lose 20, gain back 30. Then I was 240.... I saw a friend one year after her surgery and she lost 75 lbs... I went to the meeting two weeks later and was banded 6 weeks later. Im so happy that I don't have to do anymore fad diets. This will be my second Christmas as a thinner person. My only new year resolution will be to work out more, not to lose weight this year.

My knees were getting close to needing to be replaced, and I thought to myself... Self... you KNOW what the problem is, so fix it! I started investigating the band that day and have never looked back! Knees not perfect, but not painful anymore. It has made a huge difference in my activity level and willingness to do things. Never going back to Morbidly Obese!

I just got tired of feeling poorly about my physical self and realized that being 29 and on blood pressure Meds was unacceptable. I had the band 3 weeks ago, am down 30 and feel confident I will be off my BP Meds very soon. Best decision I have ever made for myself and my health!

I just reached the end of my tether.

You know, this is in no way a criticism, merely a subjective view of how I felt in myself, but when I see people's stats, or even observe my own friends, several of whom are very obese, I cannot for the life of me figure out how they could tolerate being so heavy.

I was just worn out. I was 37 and living the life of a 70 year old. I had no energy, I was unfit, I couldnt make it through the afternoon without a nap, I couldnt buy clothes that I wanted, I felt completely unattractive, I had heel problems, I just felt completely sh*thouse and I knew major major health problems were in my future if I didnt act now. As it turns out, I already probably had an early rectal cancer. It is just beyond me to think that people tolerate that and go on to get heavier, but by the same token, I was at the point of either do something now or give up and sink into morbid obesity. My BMI was 36 at the time and I really felt every pound of it.

So I said no more. I'm admitting defeat, I cant do it on my own.