Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Happens At Goal? Un-Fill :-(

Im really depressed and nervous about this. I went into to complete debt 3 years ago as a cash patient. best 15k (fills included) I have ever spent though (sleep apnea went away, better habits and I feel great!). My last fill was 2 years ago which is when I finally started to loose weight. I am 5'5'' 137 pounds and have maintained this weight over the past year .

My doctor text messages me from time to time to just "check in". last time I sent him a picture and his response was "you look perfect, now lets un-fill your band and give your stomach a rest. now it is up to you to just keep up the good habits"

I am soooooo terrified! I fear that I will begin gaining my weight back and he will not re-fill me (so he is just done with me) .

Is it dangerous to keep your band filled indefinately?

once you reach your goal is it typical to un-fill?

I've never heard of such a thing. If you have an unfill you no longer have a tool.

Never heard of this either, but I have heard ppl say when they got a total unfill b/c of surgery or problems, their bands were never the same.

I wouldn't let him force you into an unfill, by using blackmail. Ask him for info from LB manufacturer stating such.

Keep us posted!

Hmmmmm, I certainly hope that is not common. Personally, I am hoping to keep my band at least five or 10 years, and possibly then consider going it alone.

Definitely not standard practice! I have more fill than ever to maintain - smaller body, less fat equals more fill for same restriction plus your body does adapt somewhat over the years.

If you remove your fill you'll probably gain. I managed six months unfilled while I had cancer treatment and it nearly drove me mental. I had to be do focussed and determined not to gain that I did stupid things lie running in the heat ten days after major cancer surgery (bowel resection) with a new ileostomy and I definitely developed all the hallmarks of anorexia.

Believe me you do not wan to live the life you'd have to live to avoid regain unfilled. Your body and metabolism is never the same after major weight loss from restricting calories, you can never eat a normal amount of food again. Women half my size eat twice what I do and maintain petite 130lb weights. at 5ft 10 and 150lb and running, spinning and strength training, it makes no sense that I must stick to 1500 calories to maintain, but that's how it is.

Do not let that doctor unfill you unless you can't stop losing. The band is for LIFE not five or ten years. If one thing goes wrong and you not fix it, you will probably gain again.

And yes, my band has never been the same since unfilling.

IT GET worse.. I just spoke to him and he said his goal would be to unfill so that we can eventually remove it??? In my consultation 3 years ago I believe I asked about whether it stays in and he said only if there were complications.rhat was a MAJOR surgery , so why should I go in again and take it out? Also why would I not need this tool simply because I reached my goal ? I'm beginning to think he just wants to remove it so he doesn't need to worry about keeping tabs on me in definately ? Or maybe he wants more money for another surgery? Or something bad happened to another patient ? I'm really depressed at the thought of all of this. I have read from various lap band clinics that removing the band is not recommended .

I have never heard of this. You may stop getting new fills, but what is there when you stabilize should be what you keep.

I am currently sitting in my surgeons office, I will ask the question. I am in maintenance and am not willing to give up my band, scares the crap out of me and I have very good habits. My band is my insurance and I am not willing to tempt fate.

You need a new doctor! But dont panic. Nobody can force you to drive to a hospital, submit to an anaesthetic and let them operate! Just dont do it.

My doctor says I will stay with what I have in my band unless I have issues, meaning a fill or infill. I keep my band as is unless there are problems. My vote is tell him your not interested in any changes at this time , your band, your body, unless he can give you sound documented research that states differently, remember you are the patient and u have rights!