Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have Fun While Eating Out!!!!

I totally love going out to eat! What is even more fun is that I have the ability to choose "healthy" items without "desiring" those EVIL things!!! Heeeee! Seriously! We lovvvve going to Cheddar's to eat. It was amazing today! I ordered Grilled Salmon (lunch portion), Rice Pilaf, Baby Carrots, Steamed Broccoli, and a side of pico de gallo. Soooo yummmy! Plus, I had plenty to bring home for

dinner too! Total calories for the whole meal--which I ate twice on--was only 500! Now, that is my kind of eating! Not all healthy things have to taste yucky...In fact, it is all about the cooking method. I have learned that I can still go out to eat and have FUN! It is the choices I make that are important....and most EVERYWHERE has yummy healthy choices...you just have to be wise and selective. I am actually enjoying being able to make those choices now...I am am in control! LOVING IT!!!!

so gad you share I am very new and don't go out cause I don't think they have anything I csn eat. I am slowly learning what a good meal looks like and more importantly what it reads like. I will go out to eat I can see that now.

Most certainly! Just because you have the band...doesn't stop you from "living". In fact, it helps you to LIVE BETTER!!!! I think the main thing to remember is to balance things out. Choose "good" fats over bad fats...good carbohydrates over bad...and lean cuts of meat...and tons of veges--fruits.

Some folks really like sticking to a low carb diet...but for me...and it is different for all folks..but for me, I like living a balanced life...Meaning, I can eat carbs. If I don't, my body craves them. It is surely better to eat a few "good" carbs...brown rice...and such than gorging on doughnuts...like four at a time! LOL!~~~Which I have been known to do! Heeee! Not anymore!

Wishing you all the best with you endeavors!

Dana, I am with you. I love eating out, ordering what I like and telling them how to make it! Always more satisfied eating what you like! I used to love Duncan Donuts several times a week now I may have one donut hole once in a while.

So glad you have realized we can still do these things and enjoy them without sabbotaging ourselves.

I go out to eat from time to time and I LOVE that many restaurants are now (as of Jan. 1 required to list calories). Plus, many restaurants have special meals under 500 calories that are quite tasty. I typically order from those or will do like you ordered. We have a cafeteria at my work (and 80% of the items are healthy). They list what is in everything and the nutritional content. I find I can still eat out too and enjoy myself. The only caveat is I eat much slower than others that are gulping down their food but other than that... it's all good.

So happy for you and this IS a great story to share so others, especially newbies, can see that life does go on and we can still do most things we did before, just better than we used to. :)

Is prepared the way I want than an entire plate of something that tastes mediocre. Funny thing is, I just had this conversation with my dietician last week. Lately I find that I'm searching for richer flavors and more intense seasoning, but I'm also finding that it takes a lot less to satisfy me. She says that's what thin people do-imagine that!

Thank you all for the encouragement! I am still learning...and still somewhat a newbie...but I am REALLY loving being a NEW person! It is exciting! Embracing the NEW me and the NEW life!

Is prepared the way I want than an entire plate of something that tastes mediocre. Funny thing is, I just had this conversation with my dietician last week. Lately I find that I'm searching for richer flavors and more intense seasoning, but I'm also finding that it takes a lot less to satisfy me. She says that's what thin people do-imagine that!

I am TOTALLLLLY loving the "thin" people part!!!!!

Me too! i would much rather have a small amount of something that's prepared the way I want than an entire plate of something that tastes mediocre. Funny thing is' date=' I just had this conversation with my dietician last week. Lately I find that I'm searching for richer flavors and more intense seasoning, but I'm also finding that it takes a lot less to satisfy me. She says that's what thin people do-imagine that!

[/quote']

Sorry, had to repost this. It was missing half of what I said.

I am TOTALLLLLY loving the "thin" people part!!!!!

I know! She could have told me that I had two heads or something. I didn't hear anything she said after that!

So true! Also exciting to see the change in yourself. I now would not even think of ordering thing I used to order. Doesn't even interest me anymore. I want to see the scale to continue on it's downward slope!