Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey Everyone! My name is Candace and I am so excited to find this forum. I have learned so much in just a few days. now about me. I started this journey in March. I have been doing Weight Watchers for 2 years with little to no success..I lost about 30 lbs and its been up and down since. I also have PCOS which makes my life even more difficult. I had been doing research and thought about having Weight loss Surgery for a while, but my insurance never covered it. The insurance I have now does cover it so I thought this was my chance to finally get healthy. I called my insurance and was told I needed a psych eval, nutritonist eval, and 6 months of documented diet. I asked if weight watchers would suffice since it was documented by date and weight. I was told it would. So I gathered my information, had the psych eval and nutritionist eval in the same day. I met with my doctor's nurse to go over everything and looked like I was good to go. She set the case up with a caseworker on a Tuesday and called me at work and said the insurance told her that the diet had to be dr supervised and they would not approve it if she submitted it. I was heart broken. All that I had studied for, worked for, researched, i felt like was a waste. On top of being over 400 lbs, i have high blood pressure, high cholestoral, PCOS, knee problems *need surgery, too young for total knee replacement, but losing weight will help*, and diabetes runs in my family. I was very depressed and felt like giving up. I didnt mess with anything for a while, and finally decided to not give up. Everything worth having is worth fighting for. 6 months later I have my final appointment on Nov. 29th. It will be submitted to insurance at that time and hopefully schedule a time to meet with the surgeon. I am so worried that they will find something else wrong and fight me on it, just because they can. I have called my nurse (bless her heart) and bugged the crap out of here trying to make sure I am not missing anything. I can't have a heartbreaking answer like i did last time, it was very rough to hear. Anyways..Hopefully I will post my surgeon dr appt soon enough and then I will have a sigh of relief..Until then i will read posts and keep my fingers crossed :)

I'm so glad you pressed on. Six months time would go by either way; whether you were seeing the doc for the diet or not. Good luck on your journey!

Hi Candace,

Welcome aboard! You've come to the right place for encouragement, support, motivation, and of course friendship!

We are all here rooting for ya :)

Don't give up, keep fighting. You will get this. In the meantime welcome. There are lots of great friends here to give suppory and answer your questions.

Good luck to you!

Welcome! You can do this! Insurance companies can be stinkers, but, if you meet the policy requirements, you're in! You will be healthier, so, its a win-win situation for you and the insurance company!

Hello my name is Michele and i have had lap band since 2008 have had so many problems with my band . I am alway to tight get unfills but still get sick . I have a self tighting band so many things make mine tight . I have even been put in the hospital with phenomena for 12 days due to choking on my spit at night when i sleep so i adperated and got phenomena in my lungs had to have a chest tub put in. After i got out of the hospital went to doctor to get unfill got most of it taken out . but still get sick everyday i don't eat or drink 3 to 4 hours before i go to bed but still choke and cough all night i hate it . but my band is tight in the morning, when i am upset pms and if i am having sinus infection. I do like my new look but i hate the way i feel . I need help

Sorry to hear of your problems Michele. Keep seeing the the doctors and I pray they will make it right for you!

Candace, not every one has bad experiences! Welcome and I hope you path to a healthier you go smoothly from here.

Thanks yall for the comments! I have read all of the negative stuff people have posted as well. At first it scared me, but then I realized that it can't be much worse than being this overweight and risk dying young from health problems. I know it may be hard, and I know it is life changing, but i HAVE to get this weight off and I need help doing it. I still completely want to do this and am so excited to finally have it approved so I can take a deep sigh of relief and know that there is a new life ahead.

Got my approval! dr appointment will be Jan. 16..2 weeks. surgery probably first of Feb. one happy girl right here!

congrats,,,keep us updated

[quote=APPROVED :) Candace83]Got my approval! dr appointment will be Jan. 16..2 weeks. surgery probably first of Feb. one happy girl right here!

You are doing the right thing. Thank goodness for your perseverance. It will be great.