Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here And Considering Surgery

Hi everyone! So glad I found this forum, has really helped with my research so I felt it was time to join. I've been considering this surgery for the better part of two years now. I've struggled with my weight since puberty, and I've lost and gained back the weight (and thensome) more times than I can count. Currently I have a BMI around 43, borderline hypertension, asthma, probably sleep apnea, and found out I have a genetic blood clotting disorder (which naturally can be exacerbated by my weight). I want to be around for a long time for my family, fiance and friends. I feel like now is the time to really pursue this before it's too late.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using LapBandTalk

Have you found a doctor you like yet?

FLORIDAYS, several of my friends and coworkers and even my future mother in law have had either the band or RNY surgery done by the same pair of doctors. They all have rave reviews, and this group is out of the same hospital group as my primary care doctor whom I actually see tomorrow. I'm hoping my pcp will finally give me the okay. He's been concerned about my weight for years, especially the last 3 or so because I've been at my heaviest.

FLORIDAYS, several of my friends and coworkers and even my future mother in law have had either the band or RNY surgery done by the same pair of doctors. They all have rave reviews, and this group is out of the same hospital group as my primary care doctor whom I actually see tomorrow. I'm hoping my pcp will finally give me the okay. He's been concerned about my weight for years, especially the last 3 or so because I've been at my heaviest.

Thats wonderful! The first step in my opinion is finding a Dr you trust and have complete confidence in. I hope it goes well @ the PCP.

Hi.

I've tried everything! HCG, boot camp, Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem... I always end up bigger than when I started. To make matters even worse I had a hysterectomy last year and I am heavier then ever. I'm 5'2" and weigh 205lbs. Yikes.

I have a consultation on Thursday and I'm nervous. :wacko:

Welcome! This forum is excellent. Good people on here. I chose to have the band because I woke up one day and realized that I'm almost 30 years old, and my 20's sucked because I was so self conscious and let my weight limit how I felt. I wanted to make a change, and I wanted to make it right NOW!

Good luck to you on your journey. Keep us updated!

Welcome! This forum is excellent. Good people on here. I chose to have the band because I woke up one day and realized that I'm almost 30 years old' date=' and my 20's sucked because I was so self conscious and let my weight limit how I felt. I wanted to make a change, and I wanted to make it right NOW!

Good luck to you on your journey. Keep us updated![/quote']

This is so me! I'll be 29 in February and I really don't want to be limited by my weight anymore. To a point I'm comfortable because I dress appropriately and I don't care if other people have a problem with my size...But on the other hand, my knees and my back always hurt, and it's hard to get comfortable especially at night, and it's embarrassing when I have to squeeze into a chair or into a ride at an amusement park.

Hi.

I've tried everything! HCG' date=' boot camp, Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem... I always end up bigger than when I started. To make matters even worse I had a hysterectomy last year and I am heavier then ever. I'm 5'2" and weigh 205lbs. Yikes.

I have a consultation on Thursday and I'm nervous. :wacko:[/quote']

Best of luck to you! I'm also at my heaviest. I'm 5'6" and nearing 270. I haven't seen under 200 lbs in probably 8 years. I've tried them all too, and they work for a while and then I start putting the weight right back on. My best friend and I tried My Fitness Pal together. In the same amount of time that she lost 30 lbs, I lost 8. Very frustrating.

Best of luck to you! I'm also at my heaviest. I'm 5'6" and nearing 270. I haven't seen under 200 lbs in probably 8 years. I've tried them all too, and they work for a while and then I start putting the weight right back on. My best friend and I tried My Fitness Pal together. In the same amount of time that she lost 30 lbs, I lost 8. Very frustrating.

Best of luck to you too. Please keep us posted. :)

banded Aug 20 and lost 34 lbs once I got enough in my band its was easier to stay on point this was the best thing I did. I feel so much better do it and stop thinking about it.................line dancerr

Hi everyone! My name is Monica, I'm 38 (mother of 4) and I'm just getting started w/researching the lapband as a weight loss option for me. My first appt for the intake seminar is this coming Friday, Nov. 16. I have about 60lbs to lose, and a lot of health problems to get rid of! Like many of you, I have tried several ways to lose the weight...(WW, HCG, Medifast, ViSalus shakes, etc.). Looking forward to meeting new people and any advice you guys have to offer :)

Well, saw my pcp today and he gave me the okay to call the surgeon! Also set me up to get a sleep study. I'm absolutely sure I have sleep apnea but I need a positive test if I want to end up banded. This surgeon says you have to have 1 of 4 comorbidities and I don't have the other 3. Never thought I'd be hoping to find something wrong with me before. Anyway, my pcp told me to come back in 4 weeks because he'll have to fax a monthly form to the surgeon for 6 months. Also scheduled an appointment to meet the surgeon in Dec 18th.