Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking For Advice...i'm Too New On My Journey To Be Having These Troubles Already...

Hi all,

In a nutshell, I'm so discouraged by my band...

Let's begin by saying that I was banded on 5/4/12 initially. My preop diet went great...I lost 14 pounds in those 2 weeks doing the Optifast diet per my surgeon. Postop was also fine...no initial complications except that I've never felt the "restriction" like my doc says I should.

My doctor wants all his patients to only be able to eat 3-4 ounces per meal. Understandable, assuming my band would actually work. I've lost count of the fills I've had...I think I'm up to about 5 since my surgery. With each fill, I only feel restriction for the first 72 hours at best...after that, nothing.

Needless to say, I am so frustrated. An the real kicker is that on 10/12/12, I had to have a revision done because my port flipped, but according to my doc, my band was fine. The most weight I've lost was 51 pounds...now I'm at 43 pounds. I've got 108 pounds to goal weight and I feel like I'll never get there because I'm just yo-yoing right now.

Has anyone else felt this way? If so, what did you do? I want to get my records and go elsewhere for a second opinion. In my case, I selected a doctor that is 50 miles from my house because I thought he was the best one for me...but his idea of coming in every 3 weeks for more "fills" that cost me a $25 copay and $20 in gas each time is not fesible. In addition, I just started working nights as a Nurse Tech...since doing so, I seem to be holding on to more weight even though I'm being run ragged.

Since I've already had one issue with my band and feel like it's leaking, I want to revise to the sleeve, but I am so hesitant that it would even work. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Some people do take many fills before they have adequate Fluid in their band. I've read of people who ended up with their bands nearly full after a year of fills. Just because you're not in the Green Zone yet doesn't mean you won't be. I hate to say it, but you're going to have to be patient with your fills.

54 pounds since May is very good weight loss, btw. Don't underestimate how far you've already come.

Best wishes to you.

It took me a year to find the green zone with fills every 4-8 weeks along the way but finally got there with 95 pounds lost. Lost it slowly and have more to go and I did feel like you that maybe it was leaking but then all of a sudden i was in that zone! Give it more time...54 pounds since may seems about right. My doc says 1-2 pounds a week is about the average loss.

I would definitely talk to your Doctor and have then check to see where you are at with your fills. I suggest this for two reasons.

1. It will give you a peace of mind knowing your band is not leaking. They can do this by inserting an empty needle and draw back the Fluid and measure it and then put it back in. They can compare that amount with their records.

2. It will be informative for you to know exactly how many cc's of Fluid you got in there. record this information for your records so you always know where you are at.

Lastly, like the above folks have said getting to the green zone can take months. I know that is discouraging but it's part of the process.

For example, my history:

I had surgery on April 14 of this year and it took me 9cc's and 5 months to hit the green zone. Even longer if you factor in the 6 week healing time where I had no fills. April 14 to May 28 with no fill.

1st fill 5/29/12 5cc

2nd fill 6/12/12 1cc

3rd fill 7/02/12 1cc

4th fill 8/14/12 1cc

5th fill 9/4/12 1cc

Everyone is different and everyone's timeline is different so you just need to keep working at it. It is very important for you to know the status of your band. Always have a record of the fills for yourself. Me I keep a file on my computer plus I have it my signature in case someone is curious they don't have to ask.

Good luck and don't give up!!

Libra, I understand you frustration, this is a slow process to hit the green zone. As my clinic says, they would rather I creep upon it that blow right past it and deal with those problems. I travel 6hrs and about $100 in gas each time I get a fill and they are doing it 1cc at a time. They work with me for my appointments and are good if I decide that I can't do the drive at 4weeks but it is more convenient for me at 6 weeks. But, it is my life and my health and it is so worth it.

Perhaps see if they will see how much you have in your band next visit and compare it to how much they think you have and that may put your mind at ease.

50lbs is fantastic and according to my information, you are right on track.

Thanks so much everyone for such the positive encouragement! It was such a breath of fresh air to wake up to all your posts this morning. I plan on going back the week of Thanksgiving for another fill, so I will be talking to my doc then. I'll keep everyone posted to what he says.

I'm sorry to hear that you're disappointed in your band, but I think it's too soon for you to give up on it. You may find my comments below uncomfortable to read, but try to think of them as tough love.

Hi all,

In a nutshell, I'm so discouraged by my band...

Let's begin by saying that I was banded on 5/4/12 initially. My preop diet went great...I lost 14 pounds in those 2 weeks doing the Optifast diet per my surgeon. Postop was also fine...no initial complications except that I've never felt the "restriction" like my doc says I should.

My doctor wants all his patients to only be able to eat 3-4 ounces per meal. Understandable, assuming my band would actually work. I've lost count of the fills I've had...I think I'm up to about 5 since my surgery. With each fill, I only feel restriction for the first 72 hours at best...after that, nothing. What are you eating? If you're eating soft or slider foods, you will never feel restriction even if your band is filled to 150% of its official capacity. Only solid food provides the early and prolonged satiety that the band is meant to give.

Needless to say, I am so frustrated. An the real kicker is that on 10/12/12, I had to have a revision done because my port flipped, but according to my doc, my band was fine. The most weight I've lost was 51 pounds...now I'm at 43 pounds. I've got 108 pounds to goal weight and I feel like I'll never get there because I'm just yo-yoing right now.

Has anyone else felt this way? If so, what did you do? I want to get my records and go elsewhere for a second opinion. I doubt very much that you will find another surgeon who (in addition to accepting another surgeon's patient) will do fills and aftercare any differently from the one you have now. And most surgeons charge a non-refundable program fee or patient transfer fee when taking on someone else's patient. I had to pay $300, but I've also heard of $500+ fees. Is that financial feasible for you? In my case, I selected a doctor that is 50 miles from my house because I thought he was the best one for me...but his idea of coming in every 3 weeks for more "fills" that cost me a $25 copay and $20 in gas each time is not fesible. You didn't know in advance that that's how it was going to work? Or you knew that seeing the doc every 3 weeks was part of the plan and didn't consider the feasibility of that for you before you had surgery? In addition, I just started working nights as a Nurse Tech...since doing so, I seem to be holding on to more weight even though I'm being run ragged.

Since I've already had one issue with my band and feel like it's leaking, I want to revise to the sleeve, but I am so hesitant that it would even work. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Checking for a leak is extremely simple. In fact, many surgeons automatically withdraw all the Fluid from the band to check the amount before they add more saline. So if your surgeon's records say you should have 5 cc (for example) and they can pull only 1 cc out of your band, it's likely that you either have a leak or the fill needle has been missing your port altogether. Have you had a fill since your port repair surgery?

Do plenty of research before you jump into sleeve surgery. It's not as wonderful as it may seem, and I say that based on personal experience with both the band and the sleeve. I had to have my band removed in April for reasons too complicated to explain here (mostly unrelated to my band) and revised to the sleeve in August. Ever since then, I've had a bad case of buyer's remorse. The sleeve didn't eliminate my hunger - in fact, I'm constantly hungry no matter what or how much or how often I eat. I've become anemic, my blood sugar has gone crazy, I experience dumping syndrome when I eat anything with more than 5 or so grams of sugar in it (and sugar lurks in places you might not expect, like milk, Protein powder & bars, fruit, yogurt, etc.). As a result of all that, I've had to take time off work and spend $$ on gas & medical co-pays in order to have more medical tests & visits in the past 3 months than I needed in the 1st 24 months I was banded.

I had the opposite problem, I can't get to the green zone because every time hit 5cc I'm so sick. A second hiatial hernia repair in Feb then gallbladder out in Sept. Hoping that will help. Do you do liquid diet after fill? Also I tried to change docs and they are giving me a hard time. Don't seem to want to step on my surgeons toes, just a heads up if it happens to you. Hopefully you get to the green zone and kudos on the weight loss. That's a lot!

I learned from a very knowledgable woman-see Jean McMillan above-that you shouldn't waste much time searching for the VERY elusive "Green Zone". I think you should be proud of the weight you have lost so far.

That being said, are you honestly recording what you are eating? I was shocked when I started journaling EVERYTHING that I was eating. I use My Fitness Pal-a free app- to journal everything I eat. I had surgery in July of 2010 and my weight loss had stalled. I started honestly recording everything in August and have lost 13 lbs and am now at my lowest weight in over 12 years. My new motto is "if I eat it, I own it".

You're really doing great weight loss in such a short time. If your doctor fixes the port maybe your problems will go away. It is important to be concerned about how much fill your doctor is putting im. Since you are paying a deductible every visit ask the doctor for all information . You are entitled to this information.

Best wishes and good luck