Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question: Chicken Soup

Hi all!!! I am planning to make chicken Soup this week for dinner for my boyfriend and I. This may seem like a silly question but do I cook the cut up chicken breast before putting in the chicken stock with the raw veggies or do input it in raw to cook in the stock? I have looked at a few recipes (my fav is Rachel Ray's 30 minute soup) but none that I have read specify

You can really do it either way. As long as the raw pieces are small, like one-inch square, they'll cook through and flavor the broth. If the chicken is already cooked, add it when the veggies are almost done!

I have been forbidden to make anything for thanksgiving this year.

Last year my job was mashed potatoes.

I forgot the milk!!!

Loads of gravy was flowing.

I am now on dish duty.

Glad you got an answer from a successful cook.

Personally, I cook the chicken breast in a separate pan then add it to the Soup. Reason being is when I boil the chicken breast in the soup it gets all this slimey white residue that is hard to strain out. If you boil it separately, the soup won't get the white foamy stuff. :) Enjoy!

Cook the chicken in boiling Water, alone, once chicken is cooked (turns white ) take a small strainer to skim the top to get the fat out,thats floating, then add your veggies to Soup. be sure to add chicken stock to soup, i have so many soup recipes so anyone looking for some don't be afraid to ask me. good luck!

Cook the chicken in boiling Water, alone, once chicken is cooked (turns white ) take a small strainer to skim the top to get the fat out,thats floating, then add your veggies to Soup. be sure to add chicken stock to soup, i have so many soup recipes so anyone looking for some don't be afraid to ask me. good luck!

Kim,

Another way to make it is to get chicken breasts with the bones still in chicken, cook same process put raw chicken in Water, cook until meat falls off bone, remove the bones and follow the steps as you've done before, the chicken bones act as a flavor enhancer, the marrow from bones adds the flavor to Soup, I'm a cook, and love to share recipes and give advice, feel free to contact me whenever you've got questions,

Enjoy the soup!

Steve

chicken without skin but with the bones. Boil in Water, remove and shred. Add veggies cut up and sea salt. Return chicken to the pot and continue cooking until done. I use the bones too and I use thighs. Great properties to ward off winter colds.

Pre-op 275.9lbs -surgery 10/5 265.0lbs -11/11/12 241.8lbs

Kim,

Another way to make it is to get chicken breasts with the bones still in chicken, cook same process put raw chicken in Water, cook until meat falls off bone, remove the bones and follow the steps as you've done before, the chicken bones act as a flavor enhancer, the marrow from bones adds the flavor to Soup, I'm a cook, and love to share recipes and give advice, feel free to contact me whenever you've got questions,

Enjoy the soup!

Steve

Could be worse Jo. ..

Steve, that comment about the marrow from the chicken bones just made me cringe!! I can't stand any sort of meat on a bone. I only by boneless,skinless, trimmed and ready chicken beasts!! Lol. But I'm sure it adds flavor. Just not my thing.

Go to costco, buy a rotisserie chicken, boil it, skin and all, covered in Water in a Pasta pot ( built in strainer). Pull the chicken out, refrigerate chicken and broth separately overnight. The next day, pick the chicken off the bones, discard bones, skin and fat. Skim fat off cold broth. Cook your veggies in the broth, add the chicken, voila.... Yummiest chicken Soup ever! The broyh may need to be diluted, since the roasted chicken is so flavorful.

Go to Costco' date=' buy a rotisserie chicken, boil it, skin and all, covered in Water in a Pasta pot ( built in strainer). Pull the chicken out, refrigerate chicken and broth separately overnight. The next day, pick the chicken off the bones, discard bones, skin and fat. Skim fat off cold broth. Cook your veggies in the broth, add the chicken, voila.... Yummiest chicken Soup ever! The broyh may need to be diluted, since the roasted chicken is so flavorful.[/quote']

I've actually made this one before. It's quick and easy, so yummy. Thanks for the reminder.

Pre-op 275.9lbs -surgery 10/5 265.0lbs -11/11/12 241.8lbs

you can't get much simpler, good idea! see how easy it can be if your think outside the box!? very pleased to see everyone keeping a positive attitude, Again I reminded you all....the band is merely a tool, the key is to re train your mind to think of food as a task not a pleasure. for those of you whom are advanced stages will understand what I'm saying, I personally spent enough times depositing what I just attempted to devour in 3.5 seconds flat, and I'm been banded since 2006, when you've hit that point and a good % of you all will follow the footsteps and push the envelope. some have already done so and most likely aren't going fess to it, regardless, spend a few times dumping and the outlook on food will change really fast!