Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bmi 30 - Am I Crazy To Be Thinking About This?

Thanks alicelopes. I am from Ireland so would have to self pay anyway' date=' but if I get it done it will probably be in Belgium as it is much cheaper there and I have looked into a lot of reputable surgeons there.

I am beginning to think it may be the best solution for me. I know I must be willing to change myself and that is something I really want to do at this point. I am going to need to save up money to pay for the surgery anyway so it will give me a lot of time to think about it.[/quote']

Hello dublingirl, I am from manchester uk and I was too thinking of doing abroad in Prague. But then decided to do it in uk because if I was going to go for fills it would end up being more expensive. So my only advise to you would be to weight the pros and cons about having it abroad just because of the fills and aftercare. Having said that I think you already have found a reputable place and you would be in very good hands. Yeah you have got time to think about it and I am sure you going to do the right decision. I hope everything goes wonderful to you. Don't forget to keep me posted. I will have my surgery January I'm sure to keep you posted too.

Who are any of us to say that someone who has a 30 bmi isn't "heavy" enough for the band? Do we know how many times she's gained and lost the same 40 or 50 pounds? We're not talking about 10lbs here, we're talking about 46 lbs to get to the top end of the bmi for healthy weight. And if she dieted down there....who's to say she wouldn't gain it back?

What the right bmi for the OP?

I agree WLS is not a quick fix. But OP...do some more research on what banded life is like and you're real reasons for not being able to maintain weight losses. Make your decision based on that for you.

My BMI is 34. I am 5'2 and weight 194. I am getting banded on the 28th of this month. I am doing it for health. I don't want to get bigger and have more to lose. So absolutely DO IT!!!!!

I don't think it's a matter of your bmi. I know someone who did not haven much to lose but her insurance covered it because she had severe blood pressure problems. I think it is up to what criteria the doctor has or insurance if using that. Only the person requuesting the surgery knows if it for them. Just remember its for life.

Best of luck

Hey guys,

Just lodged an initial enquiry with the surgeon. I am still thinking about it but just wanted to see what my options were and if I would even be approved for surgery.

The surgeon said I need a GP's letter to be approved for the surgery because my BMI is below 35. Only thing is I've moved addresses quite a lot over the last few years (I was at University) and therefore I haven't really had a consistent relationship with one GP for a while.

Did any low BMI bandsters find it difficult to get a doctor's letter?

Kind regards

Hi Dublinbandgirl,

I really think that the decision to go through with the lapband surgery is one of the biggest, and most personal, you will ever make in your life. But as you have opened up this conversation I thought I'd put in my two cents.

When I started this journey just over a year ago, my BMI was 47. That is massive. My weight piled on during different traumatic chapters in my life but I didn't actually realise how big I was until the weight started to come off after the surgery. I have now lost 50kg (110lb) and my BMI is now 30.2.

I still want to lose another 17-25kg but if I was starting my weightloss journey with my current BMI I would be doing anything and everything to avoid the surgery. I only know this now, having been through it. Don't misunderstand - I am so happy that I had the surgery, it has really made my present/future much more positive. However, the financial cost involved, the physical pain of having the surgery, and the scarring is something that you should really consider before going through with this. For the sake of 50-60 lbs, it may be more beneficial for you to look at other options - any other options.

If I could turn back time and start my journey with a BMI of 30.5 (only just obese), I would set out a plan with a nutritionist and trainer and work my arse off that way. It would be better than having major surgery.

And like everyone has said before me, getting a band really isn't an easy fix. It is hell and you still have to eat right and exercise.

Goodluck with whatever you decide.

Simone

Hi Dublinbandgirl' date='

I really think that the decision to go through with the lapband surgery is one of the biggest, and most personal, you will ever make in your life. But as you have opened up this conversation I thought I'd put in my two cents.

When I started this journey just over a year ago, my BMI was 47. That is massive. My weight piled on during different traumatic chapters in my life but I didn't actually realise how big I was until the weight started to come off after the surgery. I have now lost 50kg (110lb) and my BMI is now 30.2.

I still want to lose another 17-25kg but if I was starting my weightloss journey with my current BMI I would be doing anything and everything to avoid the surgery. I only know this now, having been through it. Don't misunderstand - I am so happy that I had the surgery, it has really made my present/future much more positive. However, the financial cost involved, the physical pain of having the surgery, and the scarring is something that you should really consider before going through with this. For the sake of 50-60 lbs, it may be more beneficial for you to look at other options - any other options.

If I could turn back time and start my journey with a BMI of 30.5 (only just obese), I would set out a plan with a nutritionist and trainer and work my arse off that way. It would be better than having major surgery.

And like everyone has said before me, getting a band really isn't an easy fix. It is hell and you still have to eat right and exercise.

Simone[/quote']

Hi Dublinbandgirl' date='

Simone[/quote']

I so agree with you . I look at how far I have to go and wish I had started so much earlier before it got so bad. Surgery was really my last option.

Hey guys just joined and looking for advice :)

I have struggled with my weight for years with it constantly fluctuating up and down - diet going well for a few weeks and then it all falls apart, weight piles back on, the usual.

This cycle has been going on for years and I am now at my heaviest having joined a workplace where there is free food and Snacks everywhere - and free all you can eat lunches with delicious food. This does not go so well for me, I have no willpower - however I know I could work with the bad.

My self confidence is really low right now as I cannot seem to keep weight off (even though I can lose it and have done a few times, it is not maintainable for me and as this has been going on for years it seems conventional methods are really failing me.

So I am looking into lap band surgery and I think it is something I want.

The only issue I have is that my BMI is 30.5 which seems to be pretty low for the surgery from what I have read. I am classified in the Obese category on the BMI scale but I think I have found a surgeon who will perform the surgery at BMI 30.5.

My question is do you guys think it is too drastic for my BMI? I would be aiming to lose 50-60lbs post surgery from 200 at 5'8".

I really feel this may be the right thing for me to do but just want input from others.

Also do the results tend to be good for a low BMI band?

Any thoughts on the matter appreciated!

Thanks!

I don't think you are crazy for wanting to get the surgery. I had surgery 4 weeks ago and a BMI of 31, I did research for 2 years before I decided to go through with it. No Matter if you have a BMI of 45 or a BMI of 30 we all struggle with the same issue. It is not an easy fix and you really do have to follow the bandlife style but I am glad I made the decision to do it! Good Luck!

The band will not take the place of willpower

No, it won't but it will keep one satisfied with less food for longer