Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I Or Shouldn't I?

Hey guys, new here and looking for advice!

I am currently considering lap band surgery and am looking to hear from people either in the same boat or who have had the surgery and can offer some words of wisdom.

I have gone through similar things to a lot of you, I have struggle to get and maintain control over my weight for years. Things have gotten especially tough in the last couple of years since I graduated from college and starting working in an environment that pretty much provides unlimited free delicious food for Breakfast, lunch and Snacks.

My willpower is really awful and the conventional methods don't last long because of this. My weight has fluctuated a lot over the years but I have really been piling it on the last 2 years.

This is why I am considering the lap band procedure.

I weigh 200lbs and am 5'8" which puts my BMI at 30.5, in the obese category but seemingly relatively low for this procedure.

After a lot of online research I think I have found a surgeon who will do the surgery at 30.5 BMI and who has a good reputation too.

From people who may be in the same boat, or people who have had it before, what do you think of this? I really want to do this before I continue to gain, which I think I will.

But do you think that 30.5 is too low? I think it would really boost my self confidence!

Thanks guys, your thoughts on this are really appreciated.

:)

Go for it! You will not be sorry. Without co-morbitities you may have to self pay, but I did and I have never regretted it!

I say go for it. It's the best decision I have ever made and I finally feel like I am in control of my weight loss. I wish I had done it sooner.

It has been the best thing that has ever happened to me. But it's not something that happens overnight and there will be ups and downs along the way. My BMI was way higher than yours (55.5) but it all depends on your situation. If you have comorbidties or issues like depression or anxiety caused by being overweight then I highly recommend this surgery. And like you I also had problems with will power but I think this surgery has changed that. I'm eating way better now and the more weight I lose the more active I get. I had severe social anxiety before this surgery and although I don't know if it will ever fully go away it has gotten so much better. I'm not kidding when I say this surgery has changed my life, I'm actually looking forward to going out now.. I used to cry even thinking about it. I've done all the fad diets and pills, nothing worked except for this surgery.

I, too, started with a lower BMI. I am only 4 weeks out from surgery, but so far, very pleased and looking forward to the end of the yo-yo. I am also in counseling with an eating disorder therapist because I know I have to make a permanent change. I'm very good at losing a lot of weight - and then putting it right back on. I'm working toward a long-term solution and the lap-band, therapy, exercise, and food tracking are my primary tools.

I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide.

My advise to you is to work on getting the weight off and maintaining in a natural way - I wish I would have thought more about this life changing surgery before having it. Yes, I've lost weight but not in a healthy way - I have so much problems keeping food down and most of the time eating is painful. You are so young to have to deal with this thing for the rest of your life. I'd love to tell you it's the most wonderful thing I've done, but honestly I can't. I'm 1 1/2 year out and it hasn't gotten any easier - in fact, I have such horrible reflux now - I haven't been able to eat in several days - back to the MD again this week. Please consider all side effects and read all you can before you decide. Sorry to be such a downer, it's really not my personality - I wish you the very best of luck in your decision.

My advise to you is to work on getting the weight off and maintaining in a natural way - I wish I would have thought more about this life changing surgery before having it. Yes' date=' I've lost weight but not in a healthy way - I have so much problems keeping food down and most of the time eating is painful. You are so young to have to deal with this thing for the rest of your life. I'd love to tell you it's the most wonderful thing I've done, but honestly I can't. I'm 1 1/2 year out and it hasn't gotten any easier - in fact, I have such horrible reflux now - I haven't been able to eat in several days - back to the MD again this week. Please consider all side effects and read all you can before you decide. Sorry to be such a downer, it's really not my personality - I wish you the very best of luck in your decision.[/quote']

It's sounds like you are too tight. No wonder you're so unhappy with the band. Get yourself a slight unfill and you'll feel worlds better!

k horsley, you need a unfill of at least 1 - 1.5cc out of the band. You will feel amazing after this. Check in with your doctor very soon.

dublinbandgirl, Welcome!

The lapband is truly a useful tool but you must restrict yourself from eating the wrong foods. You work at this over time and it does get easier and the full feeling gets longer when you get close to your green zone. Most doctors will put saline solution called a "fill" and it restricts the pouch opening a bit at a time. My bmi was close to 50 when I started. It is the best thing I ever did for myself. Go for It!

It's sounds like you are too tight. No wonder you're so unhappy with the band. Get yourself a slight unfill and you'll feel worlds better!

I so wish it was that easy - I've had issues from the day I had the surgery - had no fill for 6 months and very little now. My surgeon says that "it's not for everyone". It has been the most perplex thing I've ever encountered (and I'm pretty darn old :). Anyway, I don't want people going into this thinking it's a piece of cake - cause it sure is not!

I so wish it was that easy - I've had issues from the day I had the surgery - had no fill for 6 months and very little now. My surgeon says that "it's not for everyone". It has been the most perplex thing I've ever encountered (and I'm pretty darn old :). Anyway' date=' I don't want people going into this thinking it's a piece of cake - cause it sure is not![/quote']

I know the band is not for everyone. I have had friends it was an answer from Heaven, another it was answer from Hell. It is not a magic cure all. It takes Work, Work, Work. Anyone who thinks that they will just get a band and they will get thin, is thinking wrong. Do your research, talk to people who have had the band and those who have had it taken out. There are plenty of both. I have had good success so far. I'm 69 year lady with diabetes and other medical problems that a band has helped. For ME, I had few choices left and have support of a husband who cares. You can have your cake and eat it too, just smaller amount and not too often.

I love my band!!!! I have a niece that had low BMI but based on all of her aunts and mom she was headed to the heavy point. She banded and is doing awesome!

Hey guys' date=' new here and looking for advice!

I am currently considering lap band surgery and am looking to hear from people either in the same boat or who have had the surgery and can offer some words of wisdom.

I have gone through similar things to a lot of you, I have struggle to get and maintain control over my weight for years. Things have gotten especially tough in the last couple of years since I graduated from college and starting working in an environment that pretty much provides unlimited free delicious food for Breakfast, lunch and Snacks.

My willpower is really awful and the conventional methods don't last long because of this. My weight has fluctuated a lot over the years but I have really been piling it on the last 2 years.

This is why I am considering the lap band procedure.

I weigh 200lbs and am 5'8" which puts my BMI at 30.5, in the obese category but seemingly relatively low for this procedure.

After a lot of online research I think I have found a surgeon who will do the surgery at 30.5 BMI and who has a good reputation too.

From people who may be in the same boat, or people who have had it before, what do you think of this? I really want to do this before I continue to gain, which I think I will.

But do you think that 30.5 is too low? I think it would really boost my self confidence!

Thanks guys, your thoughts on this are really appreciated.

:)[/quote']

I thought you had to have a bmi of 35 to even be considered for the surgery. So if you find a doctor that will do it I would make sure to research him. But honestly it's up to you. I have a love hate relationship with my band, but I'm glad I got it!

The choice is ultimately yours but I encourage you to thoroughly research it. There are surgeons that will do the band for a BMI over 30 but I don't know of any insurances that will pay for it. If you're planning on using your insurance I would give them a call first.

One thing you said alarmed me - that you had "really awful willpower".

Living the banded life takes will power and want power. Nothing will stop you from eating the bad foods. The band doesn't limit in any way the food you eat. The ultimate goal (at least, for me personally) is to lose weight by eating smaller amounts of healthier food. I've had 4 fills and now 1 measured cup of food keeps me full for 4-6 hours. The band is doing it's job, but I'm also doing mine by chosing high Protein, low calorie, healthy food to fuel my body. I've undergone a whole lifestyle change, as most successful bandsters have.

If you feel like you're ready to transform your life and way of thinking about food, then I say go for it. If you're thinking it's an easy fix for a problem, then really weigh out your options.

Whatever you chose, we're all in this together and we're all out to support each other. My own personal experience, I was banded with a BMI of 35.2 and have not for one day regretted my decision. It has by no means been easy, or a quick fix (as I've been on a plateau for about 2 months now), but I'm making it work.

I have to a low bmi 31.9, and I'm going to surgery, I have struggled with my weight since I was 11. I am now 21 and I believe in prevention as I believe in cure. I don't want to be 31 and then wishing I done this surgery 10 years ago. I am a very motivated person but when dieting hard I seem to get stuck on 11st6 and it won't go down which is frustrating. I am 5ft1 and my 12st4 weight doesn't belong to me!!! I would though suggest that you are mentally prepared for the changes on your diet, because the band ain't a miracle but a tool. A tool that I need the help to succeed, and with my determination I know I will. In uk people with 30 bmi over are allowed this surgery but self pay.

Hope you make the right decision for you