Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Be Honest- Is Banded Life Hard?

It's not so diffilcult.im alot better off now than I was.I can't say that I follow a strict diet.I know what I can't eat.what I can't drink.I don't measure my food.on the same token.i just don't load up my plate with garbage.All you can eat joints and buffets aren't on my favorite list anymore.I get surprised sometimes.When I begin to eat something.It goes down.I chew it really well.Then I have to go chuck it up.Thats how I know I'm finished eating.

The only thing i regret is that i didnt do it sooner !! Im down from 225 lbs to 163 in 11 months with my goal of 140 lb in site. My sleep apnea is gone, i ve gone from a size 18-1x to a skinny size 14, i swim 3x a week, started on a running program, walk when i can, can paint my own toenails (the big tummy is gone !!! ) wear cute clothes, have lots more energy, like what i see in the mirror, enjoy the frequent compliments, etc etc etc. i can still eat 90 % of the foods i used to, but i take only a few bites of "sliders" or choose not to eat them at all. I followed the Drs rules 95% of the time and we're both very happy with my progress . It just keeps getting better and better !!! So , no regrets at all, instead im very grateful that with just a few diet and exercise changes, i've been able to lose weight and not feel deprived and still live a normal life. Best of luck !

I have not been banded yet but I am anticipating getting it done soon hopefully. I'd love your open and honest opinions about whether you find that following the new lifestyle is easier or harder than expected. Do you still have cravings? How often are you hungry. Do you feel that you have more control with the band than you did without it? Anything and everything you would like to offer to future bandsters would be great!

Thanks- Jennifer

I believe that your mindset and determination to be successful before you are banded will be major determining factors for your level of success with your weight loss journey. Looking at the quote in my signature will give you my approach to my life with the band.

Life with my band has not been difficult, however I was determined to be successful with my weight loss as I was pre-diabetic and knew I would never be a compliant diabetic. As so many others have shared, it was much more difficult to live with excess weight than it has been to make the lifestyle adjustments necessary for a successful weight loss journey.

I have not experienced any cravings to date with the exception of understanding more about how the cycle of eating unhealthy carbs (i.e. white, over processed foods such as white bread, Cookies, any foods with added sugars) and the craving to continue to eat those unhealthy carbs. Eating a piece of crumb cake will be certain to make want me to have another piece. I understand that I was a carb addict, and you have to avoid those items that feed your addiction.

For me, the pre and post op diets were the most difficult parts of this journey...and just being honest those weeks were a B***H. However there is an endpoint to that part of this journey, and for me it has become easier over time.

One key point is to understand that just because you can eat something which is not on your "allowed" list of foods does not mean that you should eat it. You likely will be able to tolerate most all foods, the difference between your success and failure with your band for weight loss is that you should comply with your diet despite being able to eat whatever you want to. No one will be with you 24/7 to enforce your diet compliance; it must come from within you, and you should be motivated for this journey because you want to loose the weight. Don't expect that you will be 100% compliant every day; tomorrow does come with a "restart" button, just don't use it too often.

When you "cheat" on your diet compliance, you are harming only yourself. Your band is highly self empowering, as you will determine your level of success with how effectively you make the life style adjustments for diet compliance and exercise.

I have no regrets for choosing to have my surgery, and I have benefited from the results to date. I have experienced some medical complications, however these were caused by my weight loss and not the band.

Whatever your choice is, just be certain to approach it with an open mind and a motivation for your own success.

Best wishes...

Hello Congrats to everyone who has lost and/or on their way to a new you!!! I am waiting for final approval and I can't wait. I have a question, what is the egg timer distraction?

I've noticed everyone saying its easy if you follow the rules. What are the rules? Do you find it's easy to follow the rules because the Lapband actually prevents you from over eating? Also, do you actually feel and stay full for four hours?

I've noticed everyone saying its easy if you follow the rules. What are the rules? Do you find it's easy to follow the rules because the Lapband actually prevents you from over eating? Also' date=' do you actually feel and stay full for four hours?[/quote']

Good questions :)

I've noticed everyone saying its easy if you follow the rules. What are the rules? Do you find it's easy to follow the rules because the Lapband actually prevents you from over eating? Also, do you actually feel and stay full for four hours?

The band will not prevent you from overeating, that is a skill you must master. It is easier to avoid overeating because you will pay negative consequences if you do overeat. The "rules" include measuring portions to limit the amount of food you have for every meal. Every surgeon seems to vary slightly in their recommendations; my surgeon wants each meal to have 3 oz of lean Protein and 2 oz of a healthy Fiber carb (i.e. fresh fruit, sweet potato, steamed veggies). Following those rules and staying with the foods you know you are able to tolerate well will help you to not stretch your pouch over time and allow your weight loss to begin.

I do still get hungry between meals, however not before 3.5-4 have elapsed. I've discovered that getting all of my fluids and limiting my meals to the right sized portions is easier if I structure my time to drink a minimum of 25-30 oz between every meal.

There have been comprehensive discussions about diet approach on this forum. My surgeon has advised me that if I make good choices with meals and measure my portions there is no need for me to count calories. To this day, I have never counted calories, and this approach has worked for me. Others have been advised to track their calories. It depends on what you are advised to do by your surgeon.

One universal rule however is that having enough Protein and being certain to take all of your Vitamin and mineral supplements is a must. We have to learn to time meals (20 minutes is my limit), eat slowly, take only small bites, and chew every bite 20-30 times to be certain to minimize your risks to get food stuck.

Another wide variation exists with surgeon instructions as to how long you need to abstain from drinking after meals, and if drinking during meals is allowed. As per my surgeon, I need to wait 1 hour after finishing my meal before I am supposed to have anything to drink, and never drink during my meals. I've found this is not difficult to follow providing I am properly hydrated prior to a meal.

Over time, if you have additional fills, you will discover that you need to be more aware of your menu choices, as there will be likely foods which you can no longer tolerate eating, and many that you no longer want. Many posted stating that they cannot tolerate raw vegetables; I have a small salad every day. Everyone is an individual, and you will learn through trial and error what your limitations with diet are.

Initially all of this did seem overwhelming to me, however over time it has become much easier to follow. I have never regretted my decision to have my band placed, and as others have written, I only wish I had been able to have this done sooner!

Best wishes...

I have not been banded yet but I am anticipating getting it done soon hopefully. I'd love your open and honest opinions about whether you find that following the new lifestyle is easier or harder than expected. Do you still have cravings? How often are you hungry. Do you feel that you have more control with the band than you did without it? Anything and everything you would like to offer to future bandsters would be great!

Thanks- Jennifer

Yes and no. It's hard following the rules at times and simply not being able to have some foods. And when food gets stuck, it can hurt kinda bad. But all in all I would do it all over again, knowing what I know now. Just remember that you are working for the band and it will let you know what you can and can't digest. Listen to it and don't force yourself and take your time eating. It's worth it.

Life with the band is so much better....befor banded...I was always tired...always hungry ...so I thought...I was always depressed on not having clothes that fit me...or waistbands that didn't dig into my bellie....I always felt people were looking and whispering about my size..or about the frumpy things I tryed hiding in....I was discusted trying to get a seat belt around me....so yes all that being said...banded and 100 lbs gone is so much nicer...I eat when I'm hungry...I fit into so many nice clothes...I have confidance...and I'm loving getting out of bed in the mornings...

Its harder now seven years out than it was to lose the weight over the first three. I feel like there is definitely an adaptation to the band where the body gradually resumes its old appetites and habits and I have to work very hard now to keep to the bandster rules and not to give in to my continual urges to binge on sugar - I really, really have a problem with sugar. I'm successful four days out of five, but once or twice a week I do tend to have massive sugar binges, where I will eat eight or nine Cookies (or similar). Generally I make it through a normal Breakfast and lunch and by 3pm, the urge simply overwhelms me and there will be no healthy dinner that night, I will just pick for hours on crap.

This seems to do no damage to my weight at all but it upsets my very sensitive gut and makes me feel terrible about myself! I have taken years to get to the root of my eating problems (I've been banded seven) and its only inthe last year that I really have accepted that I do have a real disordered eating pattern. I am a perfectionist, over controlling, all or nothing and scarily I can identify with ALL of the thoughts and mental outlooks that you'll find on any list of anorexia symptoms. I've never managed to get myself anorexic thin, but its not for want of trying. I like the look of being underweight, I've never been happy to stop at a BMI of 25, that was never good enough for me, etc.

This all escalated markedly for me with being diagnosed with cancer and I struggle now to eat sensibly, regularly and in moderate amounts that are consistent from day to day - rather than starve one day binge the next.

I find it hard to accept that there's people out there that are much much heavier than I ever was who actually probably have an easier time of it because they dont harbour so many dysfunctional thoughts. Hunger never ever was a part of my problem - yet the band worked brilliantly for me my dampening that and limiting what I could eat - so whatever your issues, it is a tool you can work with.

I'm actually really glad that I feel like finally, 45 years into my life, I think I have a better understanding of what makes me tick. I may or may not seek professional help- I feel I'm in good control at the moment but it swings to ovrwhelming at the drop of a hat, so I think it would be good for me.

What I feel the band gives me is control. It takes away the fear for me that I will eat and eat and not stop. With it, I can allow myself the luxury of having confidence in my body's signals - so for me its a huge psychological prop. I actually at more and better with my band!

So banded life is hard, but life without it would be hard too. Lets face it, obesity is a horrible disease that causes hardships in your life. You have it, so its a question of how to manage it, not whether the band is easy or not.

This is a great thread and I love everyone's candidness

This morning I PB'd a little bit after eating bread too fast. It was rough and felt lousy but then I remembered how far i've come so far (30 lbs in 3 months) and realize how GOOD this band has been for me. Maybe I won't always feel this way, but for now, 3 months out i'm lovin it

I love my band for all the above reasons. I am going to be 60 years old in a couple of months and feel like 30! This band has given me a new lease on life and I am not on any meds and just had a check up and all my blood work is excellent! This is a journey and you have different emotions along the way, but don't let people's remarks or negativity get in the way. I come on this website every single morning and they inspire me to keep this way of life and thanks for all the support everybody gives you on here. I am loving life and all of these great people.

I'm happy that everyone is pretty happy with their experience and it is definitely comforting for a hopefully soon-to-be bandster :)

Do you find it easier to follow the food/calorie intake because the band helps? In other words, if you didn't have the band and the doctor told you to eat 1500 calories, x oz. Protein, etc. would you be able to have the willpower the way you can/ do with the band? I hope that makes sense.