Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low BMI....is there hope?

Hello everyone.

Im 35 (almost 36) been overweight for 8+ years and am considering lap band.

Im currently 220 but my weight yo-yos between here and 280, 5 10 and my BMI is 31.6. Is there a doctor anywhere that would do this surgery?

I have lower back issues due to my (done lapped over) belly, sleep apnea, borderline diabetic, and getting to the point I hate going out in public because of people asking when Im due and Im not even pregnant!

Has anyone had an experience or knows of someone who has had this surgery with a low BMI?

Thanks!!

ttbseffy

I had a relatively low BMI, but had to go to Mexico for surgery. That is another factor you might have to weigh, because I didn't find anyone here that would talk to me about getting it because of the federal regulations on the surgery. Somewhere out there you might be able to find it, but foreign shores are an option. Try a serach on low BMI. There are others on here with similar situations. Good luck!

actually there is a search feature at the top of the page on the main tool bar. i did a search for low bmi for you, but i didn't come up with anything. then i just tried bmi and still didn't get anything. that doesn't make any sense to me though. maybe my computer just hates me? :ban:

hopefully some folks will get on here and post. you are defintely not alone though. your stats are probably currently on the low end, but even then still you could possibly get it. i think a bmi of 30 is the cut off in some places. i will try a some more search and hopefully find something good for you.

You do NOT have to go to Mexico to have surgery. My BMI was 30 when I had surgery, and Dr. Spiegel in Houston placed my band. I don't think any insurance will cover a BMI under 35, but no American doctor will turn down a self-pay patient.

that is great news stewartS. i am glad you were able to get it here. i hope ttbseffy has the same luck. I guess i just had a bad run of luck, because no one even wanted to discuss it with me or would return my calls. i might have faired better with even more persistence. guess i should have stressed the self pay bit!!!! :ban:

I had plenty of American doctors turning me down with a BMI of 35 and I was self-pay. Although I never contacted Spiegal. I ended up using Dr. Rumbaut in Mexico who was excellent and who probably cost a lot less than US doctors. The hospital in Monterrey was nicer and more modern than any I've seen in the world so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. The only pain in the butt was finding someone to do the fills, but if you don't live near the doctor anyway, it doesn't make much difference.

Good luck!

I had low BMI, started at 187 and now I weigh 158. My insurance company paid for my surgery because I had a family history of heart disease and diabetes. My doctor is in the US. My fills are covered by my insurance, I just have to cover the $20 co-pay.

Hello, I had a high weight of 200 pounds but had lost some before surgery so my surgery day weigh-in was 180. I went to Monterrey, Mexico to have my band put in by Dr. Arturo Rodriguez. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the Doctor, his staff, the accomodations, the entire experience. I am one-week out of surgery and have lost over 10 pounds so far! I have a loose goal weight of 125 so I have aprox. 45 pounds to go! I haven't had a fill yet but am looking forward to it (sounds weird) but I am anxious to "get on with it". I have had a weight issue for about one decade now and no matter what diet I've done, I've gained it all back. Motherhood has been the hardest on my body though--I've been pregnant 6 times and have 4 living children. Each time, I gained 60+ pounds. Some weight would come off post delivery but I was always left with a little extra Momma belly. I love being a mom but I want my old body back! I want to be able to at least recognize myself in the mirror when I peer in.

So Yes! There is hope for those like us who are low BMI in Mexico! It's too much work and discomfort (remember, only 1 week post surgery) to use as quick fix but for me, it is/ was the right choice. :ban:

Thanks to everyone for the info!!

Ravensriches....I feel the same way!! I just want to feel good again. I want to be able to do things with my kids without getting so tired and out of breath so quickly! Im going to check into the Doctor in Mexico that you suggested and see what they can tell me. Do you mind telling me how much it cost?

ttbseffy

To ttbseffy,

I don't mind posting my cost with Dr. Rodriguez at all. I don't know if it is the same for everyone but for me, the entire process including surgery, hospital fees, and hotel room was $8,100 USD which I took in a bank check. My food and extras were another $200 (granted--I love silver jewelry and Mexico is known for their silver). My flight from OKC to Monterrey (stop in San Antonio Airport) was a little over $500. You can probably get a better deal on flights if you schedule at least 45 days in advance. I booked and purchased my ticket just under 2 weeks before surgery so the cost was higher; still not to bad. So all in all, I invested about $9000 into my future health and happiness. As a side note....my mother is about to have RNY surgery in Norman, OK and the fee is aprox. $30,000. For the band, they charge aprox. $20,000. :ban: Her insurance has finally, and I mean FINALLY, agreed to cover the cost (90/10 split) of the surgery. Now we just need to get my baby sister approved. :party:

http://www.lapbandassociates.com/ Here is the website for my doctor and his team in the US. There are lots of educational links and information here so search it over. I hope this helps! Call Susan and/or Patti and they can fill in any missing answers you might have. Tell them Hi! from Raven if you would.

Hi.

I had a lower BMI of 33 and had my surgery preformed by Dr. Rumbaut. I would highly recommend him to ANYONE. He is very skilled and has actually taught many of the doctors in the U.S.

The hospital he works at is very upscale and you get your own suite for recovery.

He has a great reputation that I know for sure as I did alot of research before I had the surgery preformed.

Hope this helps!

I had a BMI of 31 at the time of surgery... I am 5ft. 5 and weighed 183 at the time of surgery.. I had my surgery on Feb 3rd. with Dr. Huacuz... and have had my first fill with Dr. Powell in San Diego last Tuesday.. I have finally lost 7 pounds.... Hooray.. let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi,

I'm looking into the lapband surgery myself. I am 205 and my bmi is 35. I work out, tried different diets, nothing seems to work. I haven't been over weight all my life. I was always 110 - 115 lbs, until after my 3rd child when I had complications from a pic line induced blood clot (clots). I am going to a seminar at Brigham and Womens in Boston. That is where my cardiologist is, (he is the blood clot gurue (sp), that way if I get approved he will be in the process also.

I have a history of heart disease in my family. My mom passed away at 59 almost 3 years ago from a massive heart attack. Her mom died the same way at the same age, and so on in the family. Its on the female side. High blood pressure on my dads side and strokes. I have had a history of DVT's in my upper extremities (rare). I have an irregular heartbeat, but take meds for it and for the DVT, a blood thinner lovenox, I ended up being allergic to coumadin after 4 years being on it.

Anyways..sorry so long. I really want to have the lapband done. I'm just afraid that they might say no. Has anyone else had DVT's and have been able to have the lapband done?

Also, anyone ever go to B&W in boston?

Thanks for all your help.

Debbie