Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carb Cycling- An Experiment Gone Right!

Thanks! I just recently tried Hummus for the first time and now I'm hooked. Half of my carbs came from the pita chips (18g), but it was well worth it. Tomorrow is high carb day. I love carbs, so it should be an easier day for me. That being said, today wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be.

Oh and I can't eat 30 mins. after I wake because of medications I take. And when I can finally have something, I have to have liquids, because my band is way too tight in the morning to eat solids. So I ate my carbs (pita chips) as a morning snack. I don't think that will hinder this program...I hope.

Thanks! I just recently tried Hummus for the first time and now I'm hooked. Half of my carbs came from the pita chips (18g), but it was well worth it. Tomorrow is high carb day. I love carbs, so it should be an easier day for me. That being said, today wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be.

Oh and I can't eat 30 mins. after I wake because of medications I take. And when I can finally have something, I have to have liquids, because my band is way too tight in the morning to eat solids. So I ate my carbs (pita chips) as a morning snack. I don't think that will hinder this program...I hope.

No I think you did great and made great food choices. It won't hinder it all!

I'm like you, high carb days are much easier for me. I struggle to even get in enough calories on low carb days.

I only carb cycle when on a plateau and when you're only on low carb every other day your body doesn't go into ketosis.

I normally don't count carbs at all' date=' I just make sure to get enough Protein.[/quote']

Mis,

Do u use my fitness pal to track your food?

Thanks Missy! I've come across several of your comments on several other threads and I truly value your opinion. You have done so well and seem to be such a caring person. I'm excited to see how carb cycling works for me. I'll let you guys know!

Ok, Missy. I tried it and hate it. Too much like being on a diet. BUT I dropped 3 pounds, so if that is what it takes to break a plateau, I think I can handle it for a week or so :lol:

Ok' date=' Missy. I tried it and hate it. Too much like being on a diet. BUT I dropped 3 pounds, so if that is what it takes to break a plateau, I think I can handle it for a week or so :lol:[/quote']

I never claimed to like it, I only said it works ;)

Why do you think I only do it for a couple weeks at a time to break plateaus? LOL

Thanks! I just recently tried Hummus for the first time and now I'm hooked. Half of my carbs came from the pita chips (18g)' date=' but it was well worth it. Tomorrow is high carb day. I love carbs, so it should be an easier day for me. That being said, today wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be.

Oh and I can't eat 30 mins. after I wake because of medications I take. And when I can finally have something, I have to have liquids, because my band is way too tight in the morning to eat solids. So I ate my carbs (pita chips) as a morning snack. I don't think that will hinder this program...I hope.[/quote']

Hi

Just something I read. (I think you done great and ill be pinching the hummus idea to lol )

If you can't eat first thing put some Peanut Butter in your Protein shake this way you're getting the carbs he suggest to start the furnace (his words) id even pop in a small banana xx it tastes yummy too x

His book totally makes sense on keeping the fire burning (metabolism). Just we need to tweak so much being bandsters x

Hi

Just something I read. (I think you done great and ill be pinching the hummus idea to lol )

If you can't eat first thing put some Peanut Butter in your Protein shake this way you're getting the carbs he suggest to start the furnace (his words) id even pop in a small banana xx it tastes yummy too x

His book totally makes sense on keeping the fire burning (metabolism). Just we need to tweak so much being bandsters x

Thanks for the suggestions. And yes, we absolutely need to tweak it for a bandster lifestyle. I actually did put Peanut Butter in my Protein Shake, but I only put 1 1/2 tsp in, so the carb amt was only 2 grams . I assumed I would need more than that, so that's why I had the pita chips and hummus later (it was also a good excuse to have some, since they are my new addiction) ;)

Today is my high carb day and low fat, so instead of using peanut butter, I'm going to use PB2. I've heard wonderful things about PB2, so I had my hubby drive me all over town yesterday to 5 different stores before I found it...lol You can also get it online, but I was being impatient :wub: It has 1 gram of fat for 1 tbsp., 3 grams of carbs, and 23 cals. I may have some toast a little later after my band loosens, to up my carbs a bit. Not sure what I'm going to do for the rest of the day to up my carbs. Perhaps a potato with dinner.

Today was my high carb day. I feel like I have eaten way too much food!

Breakfast: Protein shake

Snacks: Apple & a Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwich (just for the carbs!)

Lunch: English muffin topped with ham and smoked gouda

Dinner: Pork loin, 1/4 c. basmati and wild rice, 1/4 c. zuccini & onions sauteed in a tad of olive oil

Total count for the day:

Calories: 1005

Carbs: 117

Fat: 26

Protein: 84

I really surprised myself and found that increasing my carbs was more difficult than I thought it would be. Before banded, I lived off carbs. I hope I got enough in though to keep my furnace burning. I also went to the gym today and had a good cardio session. Tomorrow is going to be a little more difficult, I think. I'm having my family over for swimming and a barbeque. We're grilling steaks and I'm also going to do some roasted veggies and potatoes. No potatoes for me though, its my low carb day, and I love potatoes :unsure:

I peeked at the scale this morning and I was down 2 lbs. So yippee!!

Today was my high carb day. I feel like I have eaten way too much food!

Breakfast: Protein shake

Snacks: Apple & a Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwich (just for the carbs!)

Lunch: English muffin topped with ham and smoked gouda

Dinner: Pork loin' date=' 1/4 c. basmati and wild rice, 1/4 c. zuccini & onions sauteed in a tad of olive oil

Total count for the day:

Calories: 1005

Carbs: 117

Fat: 26

Protein: 84

I really surprised myself and found that increasing my carbs was more difficult than I thought it would be. Before banded, I lived off carbs. I hope I got enough in though to keep my furnace burning. I also went to the gym today and had a good cardio session. Tomorrow is going to be a little more difficult, I think. I'm having my family over for swimming and a barbeque. We're grilling steaks and I'm also going to do some roasted veggies and potatoes. No potatoes for me though, its my low carb day, and I love potatoes :unsure:

I peeked at the scale this morning and I was down 2 lbs. So yippee!! [/quote']

I think you you did great, especially since you still got good low fat Protein in!

..and it's awesome you've already dropped 2 pounds! :)

I know! I was so excited to see the scale drop. It hasn't moved in a month! I'm not going to adjust my ticker yet, though. My scheduled weigh day is Thursday (since I was banded on a Thursday). I'm kind of funny that way. I won't record a weight change until my scheduled weigh day. I like consistency :).

You don't think my carbs were still a little low? I was determined to get it over 100, and that's when the Skinny Cow came in play. It was 29 carbs and only 2 grams of fat! Oh and it was yummy too :D

I know! I was so excited to see the scale drop. It hasn't moved in a month! I'm not going to adjust my ticker yet' date=' though. My scheduled weigh day is Thursday (since I was banded on a Thursday). I'm kind of funny that way. I won't record a weight change until my scheduled weigh day. I like consistency :).

You don't think my carbs were still a little low? I was determined to get it over 100, and that's when the Skinny Cow came in play. It was 29 carbs and only 2 grams of fat! Oh and it was yummy too :D[/quote']

I think what you're doing is working so go with it. Look at your % of carbs rather than the actual number and it's really good. Remember, as banded people we have to make adjustments.

Apparently I have no self control when it comes to the scale. I got on it again this morning and I couldn't believe my eyes. I'm down 4 lbs in 2 days!!! Seriously?!? I still can't believe it. I've been stalled for a month and now the scale is finally moving, and its moving at a good pace. Thank you so much Missy for sharing this! I was starting to get frustrated and was beginning to feel like I was failing my band, but now I feel confident that I CAN lose this weight. I had my band surgery in January, and 5 more pounds will put me at my halfway point. I might make it there this week if I keep losing at this rate! Thank you thank you thank you!!