Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carb Cycling- An Experiment Gone Right!

He doesn't give set amount for carbs and Protein, however he does offer formulas and charts to figure out your daily calorie intake. I will say the amount of calories he recommends is higher than I typically eat, but being a bandster I figure I need less anyway.

His rule for carbs on low carb days is, have your carbs with Breakfast then cut them.

I need actual numbers, so I've been staying between 30-40g of carbs on low carb days and well over 140g on high carb days. One day I actually had 223g of carbs even!

I find I eat less calories on low carb days but considerably more fat- which he says is fine so long as it's healthy fat (nuts, fish, non-saturated, etc)

He doesn't give set amount for carbs and Protein, however he does offer formulas and charts to figure out your daily calorie intake. I will say the amount of calories he recommends is higher than I typically eat, but being a bandster I figure I need less anyway.

His rule for carbs on low carb days is, have your carbs with Breakfast then cut them.

I need actual numbers, so I've been staying between 30-40g of carbs on low carb days and well over 140g on high carb days. One day I actually had 223g of carbs even!

I find I eat less calories on low carb days but considerably more fat- which he says is fine so long as it's healthy fat (nuts, fish, non-saturated, etc)

Okay, I am trying to get an idea because I am going to start this tomorrow morning. I am guessing on low carb days 1200 and no higer than 50 grams of carbs and on High carb days about 1700 ? no more than 240 grams of carbs . Yes, I assume the fat index will go high but as you said as long as its 'healthy' fats.

What calories are you doing on high carb days?

I am super excited to try this because I read all the reviews and people have wrote in that they lost a lot of weight. It makes a lot of sense about the program once you read it for those who are skeptical about it.

My calories are super low on the low carb days. Today I'll be lucky if I even hit 1000. The Protein is just so freak'n filling, I struggle to even get that much in. But I won't eat if I'm not hungry so I've just been leaving it be.

I know to maintain my weight, I need to eat 2388 calories a day. I know to lose a pound is 3500 calories a week, or 500 calories a day. I want to lose 2 pounds a week so I need to cut 1000 calories a day. So, the most I would ever eat (again, this is just for me) would be 1388. I currently have the Lose It app set for 1300 calories a day.

I do come very close to that amount of calories on a high carb day, too.

On high carb days, I pretty much eat what I want so long as it's lower fat and not sugary stuff. For instance, yesterday I had homestyle macaroni and cheese for lunch. It was sooooo good lol!

Its going to be a challenge with the calories because as of now I still have a hard time reaching 900/1000 a day. I really have to work on this , probably why my weight has stalled in the first place. Something has to give and I am willing to try just about anything to jumpstart my metabolisim. I really really hope this is what my body needs.

I will post the end of next week how all went (crossing fingers)......

I'm thinking the no milk is because it has so much sugar even skim milk has sugar. When I was doing the ideal Protein we couldnt have milk either it was because of the sugar. I always have done high carb low carb days never no carbs ever. It does work.

Omg.. Thanks Missy so much for this!! I bought it on Amazon for 10 bucks! I wanted the hard cover vs the kindle version because it gives charts? I didn't want to limit it to the kindle. lol. I am so excited to see this. I am new to the way all this diet and losing weight works. I try to stay around 1000 a day, sometimes less. Been stuck for a week now with no results and gained a pound >< .. not sure why but Only been out of surgery almost 3 weeks.

I'm almost finished with the book and have my menu set for the next week. I'm not going to do the "cheat day" because I think that will be a slippery slope for me. I hope I'm as successful as you, Missy! Thanks for sharing your info with us all.

Thanks for the info Missy! And congrats on your awesome weight loss success!!

I'm gonna try to carb cycle this week and post how it goes...

I as well NEED to have numbers- I need to know what "low carb" and "high carb" days should consist of. Estimating has never worked and I dont have good intuition with these kinda things

I'm almost finished with the book and have my menu set for the next week. I'm not going to do the "cheat day" because I think that will be a slippery slope for me. I hope I'm as successful as you, Missy! Thanks for sharing your info with us all.

I was really afraid of the cheat day, too. Mine was yesterday. I did exactly as instructed, I cheated breakfast and lunch only. I had a sensible dinner and nothing after dinner.

I woke up 3 pounds lighter this morning. I'm not kidding. I was shocked.

I found a listing of Low Carb Foods....

Proteins

Most Proteins come from animal sources and are extremely low in carbohydrates. It's important to exercise some care in choosing processed meats such as hot dogs and sausages. Try to select processed meats with no added sugar and less than two grams of carbohydrates per serving, and overall try to limit intake of processed meats. Instead select Protein sources like the following:

• Poultry
  • Beef
  • Lamb
  • Pork products
  • Seafood
  • eggs
  • Game meats
  • Unsweetened whey protein

Dairy

Most full-fat dairy is low in carbohydrates; however, you should limit quantities to one to two ounces daily.

• Heavy cream
  • Full-fat cheeses
  • Butter
  • Full-fat sour cream
  • Cream cheese

Vegetables

You can eat most vegetables in relatively unlimited amounts on a low-carbohydrate diet plan. It's best to avoid or minimize starchier vegetables, such as carrots, turnips, beets, peas and corn. Limit quantities if indicated below:

• Leafy greens
  • Cruciferous vegetables such as cauliflower and broccoli (in moderate amounts)
  • Summer squashes such as zucchini and yellow squash
  • Artichokes
  • Peppers
  • Onions (1/2 small onion)
  • Sprouts
  • Celery
  • Mushrooms
  • Asparagus
  • Green Beans
  • Jicama
  • Sea vegetables
  • Leeks
  • Eggplant
  • Spaghetti squash
  • pumpkin
  • Fruits

Limited amounts of fruit can be part of a healthy low-carb diet plan. Limit daily intake if indicated:
    • Strawberries (one to two ounces)
    • Blueberries (one to two ounces)
    • Blackberries (one to two ounces)
    • Cantaloupe (one to two ounces)
    • Rhubarb
    • Peaches (1/2 peach)
    • Nectarines (1/2 nectarine)
    • Avocado
    • Tomatoes
    • Squeeze of lemon or lime juice
    • Olives (one to two ounces)

Nuts and Seeds

Nuts and seeds are great snack foods for low-carb diet plans; however, quantity matters. Limit daily intake to one to two ounces unless indicated otherwise. All nuts should be either raw or dry roasted, and beware of honey-roasted products or those that contain other added sugar.

• Flax seed (two tablespoons)
    • Chia
    • Sunflower seeds
    • Cashews
    • Peanuts
    • Almonds
    • Unsweetened coconut (or coconut milk)
    • Macadamia nuts
    • Walnuts
    • Pecans
    • Pine nuts
    • Pistachios
    • Nut butter (one tablespoon)

Herbs and Spices

Herbs and spices are generally low-carbohydrate foods. Limit to one or two tablespoons. Below is a partial list of low-carbohydrate herbs and spices:

• Basil
    • Oregano
    • Rosemary
    • Thyme
    • Garlic
    • Pepper
    • Cumin
    • Chili powder
    • Turmeric
    • Tarragon

Fats

Pure fats contain no carbohydrates. Consider one of these options:

• Butter
    • Olive oil
    • Walnut oil
    • Coconut oil
    • Fish oil

sauces and Condiments

If you use them in limited amounts, a number of jarred sauces can be part of a low-carbohydrate diet. Limit quantities if indicated below. Check for added sugar and avoid those that have sugar in any form.

• Salsa (1/4 cup)
    • Marinara sauce (1/4 cup)
    • Hot sauce (two tablespoons)
    • broth (two cups)
    • Mayonnaise (two tablespoons)
    • salad dressing (two tablespoons)
    • Mustard (two teaspoons)
    • Tartar sauce (two tablespoons)
    • Vine gars

Libations

Limited amounts of alcoholic beverages can be part of a low-carbohydrate diet. It is important to note that the body processes alcohol differently than other nutrients, and this can cause blood sugar to be erratic. Limit alcohol intake to occasional drinks, and limit quantities as suggested below. Beware of mixers, which often contain high levels of sugar and carbohydrates.

• Dry white wine (three ounces)
    • Dry red wine (three ounces)
    • Low-carbohydrate beer such as Michelob Ultra (one beer)
    • Hard liquor such as whiskey or vodka (one shot)

As many of you know' date=' I was stuck for more than a month. I was monitoring my calories, getting in all my Protein and exercising, yet the scale didn't budge. I know, plateaus are normal, but they still suck. Around the time the plateau hit I also started taking birth control pills. I even gained 2 pounds, which for me was the deal breaker. I had to find a way to break the plateau and start losing again.

So I started researching. Low carb, high carb, no carb, etc. I see so many variations on here! What's right? What's wrong? I already knew it was a matter of choice without a clear right or wrong answer, but I also knew individual body needs also played a very big part in it. During my research I kept coming across something called carb cycling, so I decided to look more into it.

Carb cycling is essentially trying to optimize your metabolism by alternating high and low carb days. Body builders often do this to build muscle and burn fat before a contest but it's also very helpful for weight loss. Then one day I turned on Doctor Oz...and wouldn't you know it... it was an episode on carb cycling. Chris Powell, of The Biggest Loser, was on his show talking about he has all the contestants on the show carb cycle and how he does it. For me, this was the point I decided to give carb cycling a try.

Chris Powell's method is specifically for weight loss so I decided to go with his (there's many out there). He has an excellent book called “Choose to Lose: The 7-Day Carb Cycle Solution”.

His theory: No carb diets don't work. It's not sustainable long term and eventually it significantly slows the metabolism. Worse, people who cut out carbs usually end up gaining all their weight back and then some when they do suddenly reintroduce carbs. Carbs are the energy block of the body and a long term lack of carbs will cause the thyroid to slow down significantly.

7 day diet/carb cycling: High carb day followed by low carb day, alternating daily. Start on a high carb day and always eat within 30 minutes of waking up in the morning. Always limit or omit carbs after 6pm.

All this is within your own personal daily calorie allowance.

High carb day/energy day:

[*']Preferably complex carbs. Protein, low fat. unlimited veggies.

Low carb day/burn day:

[*]A little carb in the morning to boost metabolism

[*]Cut carbs the rest of the day.

[*]Protien, healthy fats, unlimited veggies

3 of each/low carb and high carb. 7th day is cheat day

Cheat day:

[*]Boost calories to boost metabolism

[*]Boost to no more than 1000 extra calories a day

[*]Cheat at Breakfast and lunch, not dinner. 6-12pm “behave”

[*]Cheat at a table. Not in a car, or at a sofa, etc. No “hypno binging”

[*]No leftovers allowed.

Mind you, this is the short version of all this. If this interests you, I'd strongly suggest buying his book for a better understanding. It's very enlightening.

...So this is what I've done for the last week. I am very happy to say, carb cycling broke my plateau, despite still being on the birth control pill too. I lost 5.4 pounds this week!

I have decided I am going to continue to carb cycle. I am not a fan of the low carb days, but I am getting more used to them. Plus, I find my "carb cravings" have all but disappeared since starting this- something I didn't think possible.

For me, it's working. I just thought I'd share the results of my little self experiment :)

You are truly my hero!!! You are one of the reasons I come back day after day. And yes I will get the book. I hope they have a ebook for it. Thanks again.

Omg I am going to try this!!! I have been stuck for over 3 weeks!!!! Thanks sooo much missy!! You are truly great!!!! The best!!!

I have been eating 800-900 calories a day and exercising no weight lose... :'( Need to increase my calories but have the fear of weight gain!:( I will defo try it starting from today! Hope it starts my weightloss again!!

Thanks alot!!!:)

Xxxx

I can't wait to try this! thanks for the post!