Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice Anyone?

Hi everyone!!!

I was hoping somebody could give me some encouragement and guidance.

I was banded in March 2011, with a starting weight of 202, yeah yeah I know that doesn't sound like very heavy however, please keep in mind I am only 5"1. I am down to 160 pounds to date and my goal is to get to 130. I am up to about 9.5 ccs in an 11cc realize band. I walk approximately 2 miles a day even though this is my only form of exercise. The biggest issue I'm having is not restriction, or not watching what I eat but the fact that i think i have hit my plateau and i am extremely frustrated. I am a creature of habit. I eat the same thing for Breakfast everyday, damn near the same thing for lunch. I am having a problem getting beyond this 160 pounds...I was considering maybe trying the master cleanse or something like that thinking it would give me a boost. I could use some suggestions...

Thanks.

weight.png

Date My Journey Began: May 1, 2010

Date of Approval: January 18, 2011

Date of Pre-Op Diet: February 14, 2011

Date of Surgery: March 1, 2011

Starting Height/Weight: 5"0 203 lbs

Current Weight (as of November 2012): 160 pounds

Goal Weight: 130 lbs

*When Your Ready To Change Your Life...

You Have To Change Along With It....*

Hi everyone!!!

I was hoping somebody could give me some encouragement and guidance.

I was banded in March 2011, with a starting weight of 202, yeah yeah I know that doesn't sound like very heavy however, please keep in mind I am only 5"1. I am down to 160 pounds to date and my goal is to get to 130. I am up to about 9.5 ccs in an 11cc realize band. I walk approximately 2 miles a day even though this is my only form of exercise. The biggest issue I'm having is not restriction, or not watching what I eat but the fact that i think i have hit my plateau and i am extremely frustrated. I am a creature of habit. I eat the same thing for breakfast everyday, damn near the same thing for lunch. I am having a problem getting beyond this 160 pounds...I was considering maybe trying the master cleanse or something like that thinking it would give me a boost. I could use some suggestions...

Thanks.

weight.png

Date My Journey Began: May 1, 2010

Date of Approval: January 18, 2011

Date of Pre-Op Diet: February 14, 2011

Date of Surgery: March 1, 2011

Starting Height/Weight: 5"0 203 lbs

Current Weight (as of November 2012): 160 pounds

Goal Weight: 130 lbs

*When Your Ready To Change Your Life...

You Have To Change Along With It....*

I would say sometimes you have to switch it up. You body gets use to the same old same old and gets board. Change up what you are eating. Stay with in your same calorie range, but change the foods up- like less carbs or more - less or more Fiber, ect. See what that does.

What is your caloric intake? For instance, if you normally intake 1200 a day, you may need to up it for a few days. Also, I am a big believer in your fat grams as well. Are you getting enough of adequate fat grams per day? Fat free is not a good way to go (remember fat burns) Adding extra fat (healthy) in towards your meal is very helpful. And as Kime-Lou said above you should really try to eat different foods. Keep track or a journal that is your best bet in doing this. I have also hit a plateau and lost only 1 lb in 4 weeks. I have started exercising 3 weeks now and I had to tweak my nutrients in order to jumpstart even the one pound. I know this is temporary and I will continue to lose. Also, be very careful on your salt intake too much of it swells under our skin and we retain it.

There are 5 key nutrients I watch daily when tracking, they are: Calories/Fat/Protein/Carbs/Fiber

Be super careful of the Carbohydrates expecially, they are sneeeeeeeeaky, LOL I usually stay under 110 grams a day, give or take.

Don't get discouraged, you probably ran into a small set back ....

Hi Patty! Thanks for the tips. Do you have an idea of how much intake i should be doing? I try to go according to myfitnesspal but for some reason i feel like its off...:Its weird because when i do 1000-1200 cal a day i stay @ the same weight..when i up i to 1300-1500 i lose...so its weird but its hard to get to 1500 calories a day for me. I don't snack much if ever, i mainly only eat three meals a day...

Is this correct:

Calories - 1000-1500 Give or take

Fat: less than 100g

Protein: 100g

Fiber: 20g a day? is this accurate?

I would suggest logging what you are eating (using myfitnesspal or something comparable). Many people don't realize they are eating more calories than they realize or way less than they realize and either way is detrimental to weight loss.

You should probably be around 1000 calories per day. Also, I was plateuing after just walking and switched it up. I found a great deal on Zumba classes in my area and am doing that a couple times a week. It has really helped.

Lastly, if you are still struggling, I would meet with a nutritionist. (My bariatric clinic has a couple on staff). They may be able to offer some guidance to help kickstart your weight loss again.

Hi Patty! Thanks for the tips. Do you have an idea of how much intake i should be doing? I try to go according to myfitnesspal but for some reason i feel like its off...:Its weird because when i do 1000-1200 cal a day i stay @ the same weight..when i up i to 1300-1500 i lose...so its weird but its hard to get to 1500 calories a day for me. I don't snack much if ever, i mainly only eat three meals a day...

Is this correct:

I would deff up the calories since you have experimented before and lost weight. I know I too have a very hard time getting to up my calories because its a matter of balancing out the calories and fat ratio. You can always switch back to what your normal range would be. Fat grams should be between 20-25 grams a day (healthy fat), you can do this by adding the good ones to your meals such as Peanut Butter, lite virgin olive oil, smart balance lite butter, mayo (just make sure to measure). Fiber would be around 20-25 grams daily (another hard nutrient to get in) Protein should be over 50 grams per day.

Last resort, if you tried everything and still your weight has stalled I would deff recommend seeing a nutrionist ...

Best of luck and keep us posted!

BTW, you look fantastic :)

Is this correct:

I dont concern myself with counting protien, fat or fiber specifically... but I do count calories and I would lose at 1000. I would not lose at 1500. But thats me. You should check with your Dr on what is best for you.

A typical meal is 3-4 oz pf Protein, 1/2 c verggies and 1/4 c starch. meals have 250-300 calories each. The 2 Snacks ...one in the morning and one in the evening... about 50 -100 calories each.. usually fruit in the AM and a treat like skinny cow in evening.

Is this correct:

Oh, and another thing I thought of..even though you said you don't snack per say. I would suggest you eat a lite snack between meals and make them healthy such as a fresh fruit, hard boiled egg (white), yogurt, or string cheese. This can help with adding on to your caloric intake as well :)

Hi Yannabee,

My suggestion would be to switch up your exercise. Try something a little bit more intense? If you really like your 2 mile walk everyday try using the HITT method with it, or take some classes at your local gym-Zumba or a cardio class. I think if you add some of these ideas you will see some results on the scale J Good luck and congrats on your weight loss!! Can’t wait to be where you’re at on the scale.< /span>

Crosstrain exercise. Keep those muscles guessing.And always remember strength training. Love how those muscles burn fat while you sleep!

Good advice, switch up on exercise and food!