Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Really Dont Get It. Very Disappointed.

I know, and knew from the start that the band is "only a tool", "not a quick fix", "doesn't do all the work for you", and all that stuff that everyone says when someone is not losing weight. I am just really disappointed that after 20 months with the band, I am only down 22 lbs., and only 29 at my best. I've tried but to be honest, I really thought that once I hit "the green zone" it wouldn't be as hard. I mean why did I even do this? There has been no change on my mind. Only in my stomach. Obviously, my mind is pretty creative because it always finds a way to fulfill its desire for food, even when the band says "nope, no more of that". I mean really, did I think that my issues with food would instantly go away once I had the band? I guess I kind of did. Well, it didn't happen and I still struggle as much as ever with make right choices and not eating out of boredom or emotion. None of that was affected by the band. I get really bummed when I see my friend who had the sleeve a whole year after I did the band, down 80+ lbs and looking great, and I'm not really any better off than I ever was. Don't get me wrong. I'm extremely happy for her? She has struggled for as long as I've known her. Makes me regret this band sometimes even though in my heart I know that without it, I'd probably be up that 22–29 lbs instead of down. Still, I'm a good 60 lbs over my goal and not feeling any hope that I'll ever get any closer.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for here. Maybe I just needed to vent. I don't really need to hear all the typical lapband/weightloss suggestions that I read here. I know it all already. Make better choices. Its up to me. Start exercising. Yeah yeah. I wouldn't have ever needed the lapband if it were that easy.

Sorry for sounding so negative. I'm just really bummed today about this. Thanks letting me vent.

I didnt exercise.... so I am proof that you can lose with out it. SInce you are aware of all the typical responses... I wount give you any of thoise either. But I am going to ask you a few quesitons. You can answer if you want. Do you track your calories? If so... How many calories do you eat every day. And lastly.. do you eat more than 3-4 oz of protien, 1/2 c veggies and 1/4 starch at your meals?

I'm very sorry you're struggling.

Yes, I'm going to give you advice because you didn't mention it in your list of stuff you already know. Counseling.

food addiction is very real. When an alcoholic wants to kick their addiction, they never have to go near another drink again. However when we do, as a food addict, we still have to eat multiple times a day for the rest of our lives to live. It's little wonder so many of us falter so often.

A counselor can help you deal with the food addiction and the self destructive behavior it brings.

Best wishes to you.

No I don't track, and actually I'm positive I take in more calories than I should. Meals are not usually the problem for me. I don't eat much at meals. I just don't feel satisfied and so I end up looking for easier things to eat in between meals.

Well, for starters you seem to reconize and validate many things about lapband surgery and how the band works. You also acknowledge that the band is just a tool only. You are not nieve and certaintly not oblivous. Now, with all that you mentioned above you are right to say that the band is just a tool, a tool that can work for you, but you have to help it.

Honestly, I don't have a magic answer for you, wish I did. However, I think you know what you need to do in order to get your weight loss journey back on track. Are you trying hard enough? No more excuses, and just because your friend has the sleeve does not make her any less vulnerable than you, she too will have to fight with all her might to keep that weight off from coming back. Lucky you have a 'tool' to help you from doing just that, she is not that lucky. Any weight loss, no matter what you will have to find strength and willpower to succeed.

Starting over--- Yes you can do this! Why? Because you care about yourself and your health (that is the reason you had this done in the first place). Never give up on yourself,

Now, I am going to give you a virtual hug (((((hugs)))))) because I know how hard this is and I really do feel your pain and frustration. I have been there a million times.

Hope you hang around you would be surprised how much 'venting' can lead to actual motivation and results :)

Take care,

No I don't track, and actually I'm positive I take in more calories than I should. Meals are not usually the problem for me. I don't eat much at meals. I just don't feel satisfied and so I end up looking for easier things to eat in between meals.

Might it be possible that you need a fill? If a meal of 3-4 oz of protien, 1/2 c veggies and 1/4 starch isnt holding you for 4-5 hrs... it may be time.

Sorry, I didn't mean to send that yet. I can't eat more than a few bites of Protein and a lot veggies don't work for me at all. I can do salads carefully, but harder fresh veggies like carrots or broccoli, no bueno. Cooked veggies mostly ok depending on what it is. I don't have too much trouble with Pasta if I take it slow. bread never. So my issue is really my lack of control I think. It's not that I don't know what to do. It's just that if I had that kind of control I wouldn't have gotten the band to start with.

Pattygirl66, thank you! I came back here in hopes of something, anything motivating me to get back on track. I will try to stay on touch. Florida, I knew that question would come up, but actually, my band was fine tuned to .2cc's a while back, meaning, at my last fill I couldn't even drink and had to get just .2 removed to continue on. Unless things stretch out over time, I shouldn't need a fill. I still have issues with things not clearing the path very well quite often so I feel like any more would be too much again.

Mis73,thank you. I don't disagree with in the least. I have thought about it before. I just am not ready to take that step. I guess, financially, and also, explaining to my family. Just hoping in can manage to gain some insight here. I may go that way in the future.

Sorry, I didn't mean to send that yet. I can't eat more than a few bites of Protein and a lot veggies don't work for me at all. I can do salads carefully, but harder fresh veggies like carrots or broccoli, no bueno. Cooked veggies mostly ok depending on what it is. I don't have too much trouble with Pasta if I take it slow. bread never. So my issue is really my lack of control I think. It's not that I don't know what to do. It's just that if I had that kind of control I wouldn't have gotten the band to start with.

Since you identified the problem it should be easier to deal with it. If you really want this to work...

Make a deal with yourself that maybe for a week you will try to eat 3 meals a day of than 3-4 oz of protien, 1/2 c veggies and 1/4 starch , 2 Snacks if needed and keep your calories around 1000-1200. Drink 8 cups of Water and track everything you eat. You may find those meals will hold you and prevent the mindless grazing you are doing.

Jbaker-- when u say that u arent satisfied, is it due to the quantity of food or quality of it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY SII Skyrocket using LapBandTalk

Enuff, maybe a little of both. I'm not really sure. I know it's not that I'm hungry still. I just still want to eat. Maybe not at the meal but within an hour or 2.

I feel for you is very hard to stay on track the band has helped and I have had 3 fills but still not there yet. I don't keep cheating food in the house even though I have kids if junk is around I can not resist but I work real hard to just have a very tiny portion.but make no mistske this is very hard. counsoling would help you I am sure check into it,its never a waste of time to go......hugs and good luck......line dancer

I am sorry this has not been a better experience. I think you are facing what many of us feared would happen to us. I don't have a wonderful fix for you, wish I did.

I can say that I use to be a mindless eater and a gorger at times. I would just eat to be eating not because I was hungry or wanted it. What has helped me is counting those calories with myfitnesspal. That way I can see- holy crap- dinner was worth WHAT! It has made me more aware and helped me learn some things I thought were good aren't and something things I thought were bad aren't. I would highly recommened educating yourself on nutrition, if you can't afford nutrtionist or counseling.

It's okay to vent- venting sometimes helps us see our issues more clearly so vent away!!

Honestly if you have time and really want to get down to the bottom of it, keep a detailed journal. Not in any specific form if you dont want to.

Note things like

sleep wake times

Eat times and what you ate

Especially what you ate and what you WANTED to eat.

Your mood

Planned or unplanned meals

Any stressors if you can identify

Etc.......

I am on the road to being banded and found this worked for me. I learned a lot about my day to day habits and really found out I wasnt eating food that satiated me. It may have filled me but didnt hit my taste buds just right ... finding out what makes you eat can help you find other activities to combat it. Tweaking recipes and combining flavors is a joyous occassion. As mentioned in another post, counseling is great too. Talking to us helps too. We wont judge only nudge you jn the right direction.

Dont kick yourself while you are dow. Stand back up, dust off, plan your course and start moving. Most importantly, keep it moving once you start! Your new habits and knowledge will kick in and all will be well. Take your time and accept the changes as they happen :-) feel better senorita!

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY SII Skyrocket using LapBandTalk