Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At A Stand Still. Help!!!

4 1/2 wks post-op 21 pounds down. Now I'm at a stand still. I know I should not get on the scale everyday. But it's hard not to. Question...how many calories are people eating? I was never told how many to have at this point. By the way im on soft foods now. Thanks in advance for the help.

I don't know the calorie answer, but are you doing any exercise?

Maybe changing it up. I have been told your body gets use to the same exercise.

Even a few flights of stairs added can make a difference. Also lifting hand weights build muscle, more muscle, more calories burned

Keep in mind the first 4-6 weeks after surgery are for healing, not losing, so the fact you lost anything at all is very good. Congratulations.

Also remember that plateaus are very normal. How long have you been at a weight loss stand still?

I would strongly suggest seeing a nutritionist. It is crucial to set up food guidelines that work within your lifestyle and to understand healthy eating to be successful with weight loss. They can help you establish a good calorie range for your needs, too.

Best wishes.

1st great job on the weight loss- that is good for 4.5 weeks!

2nd- it is okay to weigh daily IF you do not let it stress you. So many people told me not to weigh daily, but I just couldn't stop. I talked to my doctor and I was told, if that is what you want, do it, just don't allow it to control you. So what I do is keep a chart. Each daily I write down my weight (I weigh as soon as I get up, after I pee, with only a little night shirt on). I look at my trends to see how I am doing rather than looking at the weight for the day. I also write down when my TOM is suppose to be, and if I exercised. After a month or two of this I was able to see patterns to help me make better choices. Just do not allow frequent weighs stress you because that can cause your body to retain the fat (stress horomones).

Until you are on regular foods its about getting Protein in and eating nutrious foods. During that time I was told to eat between 800-1000, but now I eat between 1200 and 1300. Like I said before I chart everything, including my calories. If I keep my calorie intake in that range I loose if I drop it I plateau if I up it I either plateau or gain.

It's tricky, but if you try you can figure out what works for you, each bandster is different and must find their own success pattern. A nutrionist can help with this.

I decided to weigh weekly, cause I stress over mini ups and downs. I did weigh daily for a bit when I first got to "onederland" cause I just loved seeing the "1" in the first digit. Remember this is a slow steady journey. It is not surprising to lose only 1-2 pounds a week and that can get slower as the weight falls off! Hang in there. We are with you!

Keep in mind the first 4-6 weeks after surgery are for healing, not losing, so the fact you lost anything at all is very good. Congratulations.

Also remember that plateaus are very normal. How long have you been at a weight loss stand still?

I would strongly suggest seeing a nutritionist. It is crucial to set up food guidelines that work within your lifestyle and to understand healthy eating to be successful with weight loss. They can help you establish a good calorie range for your needs, too.

Best wishes.

I been at a stand still for 2 1/2 wks. But im back to work and not getting to the gym as of yet. They have only cleared me to walk so far. I had henia surgery also. And you are right I will talk to my nut next week. Thanks for the advice.

I decided to weigh weekly, cause I stress over mini ups and downs. I did weigh daily for a bit when I first got to "onederland" cause I just loved seeing the "1" in the first digit. Remember this is a slow steady journey. It is not surprising to lose only 1-2 pounds a week and that can get slower as the weight falls off! Hang in there. We are with you!

Thank you for the well wishes. I will hang in there..it can only get better from here. Thanks again!!

1st great job on the weight loss- that is good for 4.5 weeks!

2nd- it is okay to weigh daily IF you do not let it stress you. So many people told me not to weigh daily, but I just couldn't stop. I talked to my doctor and I was told, if that is what you want, do it, just don't allow it to control you. So what I do is keep a chart. Each daily I write down my weight (I weigh as soon as I get up, after I pee, with only a little night shirt on). I look at my trends to see how I am doing rather than looking at the weight for the day. I also write down when my TOM is suppose to be, and if I exercised. After a month or two of this I was able to see patterns to help me make better choices. Just do not allow frequent weighs stress you because that can cause your body to retain the fat (stress horomones).

Until you are on regular foods its about getting Protein in and eating nutrious foods. During that time I was told to eat between 800-1000, but now I eat between 1200 and 1300. Like I said before I chart everything, including my calories. If I keep my calorie intake in that range I loose if I drop it I plateau if I up it I either plateau or gain.

It's tricky, but if you try you can figure out what works for you, each bandster is different and must find their own success pattern. A nutrionist can help with this.

Thanks alot for the advice. And it doesnt stress me out to much. But I think I will go down to once weekly. Thanks again!!

Talk to my nut in the cafe today. We work in the same hospital. She said to keep calories under 800. Which at this point I can't even eat that much. Im glad i seen her...it made me feel much better. And the best part is...I didn't have to pay a copay.

Also I would like to thank you guys. For taking the time to ever respond. I hardly post...because no one really response. I know I'm new...so thanks again.

I was at a stand still at 4-6 wks too. I added Mfp on my phone, got a second fill, and Im off and losing again.

My fitness pal is so good. I was doing stuff i shouldn't and not eating stuff i can!

Get rid of the scale! Take it out of the house :) lol hard to do I know! My husband was bandw Oct 4th (my ban is scheduled Nov 13th) he gets discouraged by the scale and causes himself undo stress. He also takes it hard if he doesn't lose what he thinks he should... Heal first, then when you get a fill you may see more lbs melt off :)

I was at a stand still at 4-6 wks too. I added Mfp on my phone' date=' got a second fill, and Im off and losing again.

My fitness pal is so good. I was doing stuff i shouldn't and not eating stuff i can![/quote']

Good suggestion...I will look into adding that. I'm using lost it on my phone right now. Thanks again.

Get rid of the scale! Take it out of the house :) lol hard to do I know! My husband was bandw Oct 4th (my ban is scheduled Nov 13th) he gets discouraged by the scale and causes himself undo stress. He also takes it hard if he doesn't lose what he thinks he should... Heal first' date=' then when you get a fill you may see more lbs melt off :)[/quote']

Thanks for your advise. And yes I would love to take the scale out. But then I would just do it at work. Lol

When i stop weighting i cheat. Not all of us are the same. Some need daily support on the scale