Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Teachers...how Long Did You Take Off

I teach young elementary school and it's not a desk job, it's draining but it's not a lifting job. I am wondering how many days I will need to take off. I can have my surgery on a Monday or Wednesday in December- they gave me 2 dates. If I do Wednesday do you think I can be back to work by that Monday? I have to call office on Monday with the date I picked out of the 2 offered. I am also considering waiting to the December break if I feel I will need many days off. My work will not know about my surgery.

I have sleep apena so will be staying over night and I am having plication with the band.

HMMM, hope to have this all sorted out by Monday. TIA for your advice. I realize everyone is different, but just wondering a general guideline for this who are in between desk and hard labor jobs. Also, getting to the bathroom is not easy at my job.

Hi there...

Yeah for you! I had my surgery on April 16th and I am a special education teacher. I had the surgery on the Monday of spring break. I was down and out all of the spring break. I went back to work on the Monday after and had a tough time. I took the Tuesday off to rest. Then went back to work on Wednesday because I had a special field trip that I couldn't miss. I had a hard time so I took off the rest of the week. Being a teacher is tough..you know we don't get to sit down. I am lucky because I have an aide in my room so I can go the the bathroom. I also did not tell anyone about my surgery...just my husband. It was tough for the first two weeks. If I were you I would try and have it on a break. I had some issues with acid reflux so that made me feel miserable. So I would suggest taking Prevacid or some type of acid reliever and do not drink anything with acid. I am down 41 pounds and couldn't be happier. Let me know if you need any other information.

I'm a high school teacher with my office on the fourth floor. Average 7 out of 9 lessons a day - 45mins each. I had my surgery on a Tuesday and was back at school the following Tuesday. That first day was HELL! Tired, sore, weak, dizzy, name it...! That evening I fell into bed and slept for 12 hours straight. The following day I took a multi-Vitamin (Supradyn) and it went much better. I haven't taken any more time off school. No-one at school knows about my surgery. I still take the Multi-Vitamin religiously every day!

I wish you all the best! :)

I also teach elementary school; I scheduled my surgery for Spring Break so I would have an entire to recover. I wanted to make sure I rested and felt okay before I returned to work. ~ good luck ~

I work at an elementary school and scheduled my surgery for December 17th. Taking that week and Christmas week off. I'm hoping to be ready to go back the first of the new year. I plan on having great resolutions for 2013!

I am a teachers aide for special needs....I did mine over the summer. I didn't feel up to doing anything until after 2 weeks!

Ok...You convinced me. I will do it close to the break. Thank all of you for responding and helping me make my deision and now i am confident it is the right one. I have to wait 2 etra weeks, but in the big picture, that's nothing. So my surgery is in 6 weeks now!!!! Woo Hoo. And I will have until after New Years to recoup. Ok, don't think I'm crazy but now part two...

The closest I could get to the winter break was Dec. 19. Then the surgeon is off for the holidays. That's a Wednesday. I am staying overnight bc of sleep apena and plication. SO I'll be home from the hospital Thursday the 20. Is there any way, I can go to work for Friday the 21? My husband can drive me, it's an easy day. I can get away with sitting most of the day and even saying I'm still not feeling better. I hate to take 3 days right before a vacation off. (the 21 is our last work day) Not telling work about the surgery, unless my dr can write it up without it looking like WLS. I don't want it to look like I'm hopping on a plane for an extended vacation. I hate to be off before a vacation, not say good bye to the kids, give them their presents, clean up a little.

I will take the 21 off if I have to and it's best for my health. But is it at all possible I can suffer the one day at work, and then rest from Dec 22 to Jan 2???? I need to be realistic. Please help.

It's going to be a HELLISHLY difficult day for you, and you'll feel tired, sore, dizzy and generally sorry for yourself, but it is possible.... I wish you all the best!

I teach 4th grade and there is NO way I was up to anything for two full days after my lap band surgery. I was glad I had the full week of Spring Break to recover. . . didn't want to have any unnecessary set backs.

Im not a teacher, i work in accouting but i did have my surgery on Nov 8 and i have to go back to work tomorrow and i am absolutely dreading it. I dont think im ready at all but im going to attempt it. To answer your question, i dont think you will be able to make it the day after surgery. I could hardly get off the couch day 2, much less stay on my feet for a whole day. If you dont want to tell them you are having weight loss surgery, then just tell them you are having a medical procedure done that requires you to stay off of your feet for a few days. Maybe your doctor can get you something like you said without actually saying it. Good luck on your surgery.

I teach second grade, had surgery with plication on Tuesday and went back to work the following Monday. First couple days were rough but then it was fine. Hardest part was and still is eating during the school day.

I had surgery last Tuesday and today was my first day back. I teach computers in High School so I sit most of the time. I do wish I had more time off though. I am very sore and tired right now.

Hi, I am new to this forum and have made the choice to make this life change. However I am a store manager for a womens retail clothing store and on my feet all day. So this topic was much needed for me. I can not take off that much time. I am praying 7 days will do it. I have some Holiday time that will carry over to 2013 to use after the first of the year. The replies on here are a huge help.

I teach high school. I had my surgery on a tuesday and was back to work by Monday. I didn't have plication though. That may make recovery longer.