Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice Needed!

Hey All,

I am scheduled as a Self Pay for surgery on May 2nd and well Friday I found out that I was approved for Social Security Disability and that I will become eligible to get Medicare, no later then September 2006, so my question is:

I am borrowing the money for self pay for surgery on May 2nd, but now that I have been approved for Social Security Disability and will be getting Medicare, and the hospital I chose and the surgeon I chose in CA Medicare will pay for since they are consider a Center of Excellence and I meet the basic guidelines of a BMI over 35, at least 2 co-morbidity of Diabetes and Hypothyroidism and other diets havent worked, even though I dont have that documented so I hope that isnt a problem.

Should I postpone surgery till I get Medicare and then apply to have them pay for the surgery and pay what they wont pay?

I feel like I should because I would be saving money and if there were any problems I would have insurance to cover it, so I was wondering what you all thought since I trust your opinions and also has anyone been approved under the new Medicare Guidelines and what has been your experience with them?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Well, since I waited for almost a year fighting with my insurer, my personal feeling would be wait. I don't know how much of a dent the cost of surgery will make in your budget, but it would have destroyed mine. So for me it was well worth the wait.

There are people here who have had Medicare cover their surgery, so you'll probably get some feedback on that. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Thanks Alexandra,

Yeah it would kill my budget because my parents were going to borrow the money and I pay them back so it would make it easier all around. I would even be ok with if Medicare would just pay for the hospital part and I paid the surgeon. Anything saved is good, I just hate waiting and I hope I dont have to meet alot of guidelines either.

Thanks again!

I would wait a little while at least to see what will happen....if you just save 1/2 that is better than nothing....But I know how it is to want it and have to wait too Good luck in your decision and May God Bless You!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches