Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Waiting For My Brain To Catch Up With My Body

I've lost nearly 60 pounds. I see the scale and the number on it, but I don't think it's really registered that I'm at a weight I haven't been at in a decade. I remember weighing just over 300 pounds and thinking that reaching that 250 pound mark was sooooooo far away. Well, I recently broke that barrier and it all seems very strange to me. I've always had so much trouble, not just losing weight, but not gaining it. Now here I am, slowly, but steadily losing weight. I'm fitting into clothes I would have only dreamed about last year. A big moment for me was over the weekend. I was at my brother's house and they have a full length mirror in there. I saw myself naked for the first time in quite a while. Wow. I'm no skinny minnie, but I could see a huge difference. Finally, all the compliments are starting to make sense. Even with the scale moving, I've had it in my head that I'm still the same size I was.

How long did it take for all of you to emotionally catch up with the changes in your body?

My brain is still lagging way behind. I still see the same ol' girl in the mirror. It's been just over 5 months and almost 60 lbs. It looks like progress on paper, and clothes fit a LOT differently, but I still don't see it. It's a struggle :)

I just hit my 40 pound mark and feel the same way. I can see my clothes no longr fit but I still can't wrap my brain around being thinner. Not sure really I ever will. I have been fat my whole life so I am not sure if my brain will ever think I am thin!! LOL

It's very bazaar. People make comments and I feel like they're making fun, or kidding, etc. My dad tells me every time I see him that I'm "too skinny". What a concept!! I'm far from that s-word. I tell him he's just not used to seeing me not obese. Maybe I'm not used to seeing myself not obese!

It's been 3 yrs since surgery,and about 1 yr since losing 100 lbs, but I'm still not caught up! I still feel fat. I see myself in the mirror everyday and I don't really see the changes, until I look at before pics of me. Then I really see it. Good luck getting your head caught up with your body!

Marci

Me too!!! I am down 60pds, and it happend kind of fast, or faster than it has ever done before..no wait, I have never lost this amount before..and getting below 200 was huge, but I keep thinking, this cant last, and then I get shocked when people stop me, its a good feeling but at first I almost have a deer in the headlight look, who me?? really?? now the weight loss is slowing down a bit, and I need another fill...but going on a cruise at the end of Nov so I will wait...ugh...just upping my Water, and work outs..but so far maintaining!!!

I know this sounds crazy, but to this day my brain is still having trouble catching up at times. Its starting to become more real to me esp since having my Tummy Tuck.< /p>