Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very Unpleasant Fill - Skill Level?

Had a fill two weeks ago from my surgeon and it went so smoothly. Didn't feel a thing. He did it quickly, painlessly and professionally. My appt. today for my fill went a bit differently. It was not with the surgeon, but rather a Physician's Assistant. This time, there was a lot of forceful pushing around and all over my port site. The surgeon didn't push on the site at all! This was followed by a lot more physical discomfort when the needle went in, and to top it off, the needle broke or didn't work or whatever the first time (after it had gone in), and a second needle was used and this meant having to endure the pushing all over again! Am I crazy to think that some people are simply more qualified to do fills than others? Mind you, my port is right at the surface and I can feel it very well. I want to request the surgeon again next time, but didn't want to offend the P.A. when I was making the appt. b/c she was within earshot. She is very, very nice, but the thought of having another fill like this makes me anxious. I think I am going to call and change the appt. to request the doctor. Has anyone had a similar experience getting a fill?

Not experienced that, but I would change your appointment to your doctor and tell him about your experience with the PA. He is responsible for the PAs treatment and needs to know if they are hurting the patients.

Good luck.

I can see not wanting to offend the PA while you were there; however, don't feel bad at all about switching the appointment. This is your treatment and you shouldn't feel angst about your upcoming appointments. I would talk to the surgeon at your next appointment though. It wouldn't mean you are trying to get her in trouble, it could just be a learning opportunity for the surgeon to work more with her to provide the patients a more pleasant experience.

Be your own advocate and you shouldn't feel bad about it.

It's the opposite at my drs office. His PA does a painless job and leaves no bruising, however when the dr does it, it hurts a little and he leaves a bruise for a few days. But I actually like the dr better - he doesn't lecture me on eating low carb, like the PA does!

I agree. You can request a certain person. When I make an appt, they always ask me whether I want Dr Tersigni or AJ, his PA. One does appts on Mondays the other on Wed's. Good luck!

Marci

It's the opposite at my drs office. His PA does a painless job and leaves no bruising, however when the dr does it, it hurts a little and he leaves a bruise for a few days.

I have this same experience, the PA is painless and the surgeon is a brute!

EVERY one of my fills hurt and leave me bruised for about a week afterwards. It doesnt matter if the PA or the Doctor does it. That is partly because my port seems to flip...ALOT. Its never in the same place twice and it flips quite easily.

I feel lucky, I've received fills from 3 different PAs, never hurt & never bruised.

I've only had one bad experience. It just happened to be at a new fill center and the PA could not get the needle into the port. She tried many, many :( times before asking for help and finally made it. Of course they kept numbing me, but, it was so stressful. I didn't want to go back and I definitely didn't want her to stick me. Well, low and behold, my next appointment it was her. I was anxious and reminded her of how many times she tried before. She got it right the first time. I went back two months later and she got it on the first try again. I don't know what happened the first time, but, I made it through and won't mind going next time.

EVERY one of my fills hurt and leave me bruised for about a week afterwards. It doesnt matter if the PA or the Doctor does it. That is partly because my port seems to flip...ALOT. Its never in the same place twice and it flips quite easily.

Why does ur port flip. Mine seems to be at an angle. Dont know if its normal or not

My PA does a better job than my surgeon! She does poke and prod (with her fingers), and I do have to lift my straight legs about a foot high to tighten my tummy so she can find the port. But she gets it every time.

Do not worry about offending anyone... If you prefer your dr do the fills then tell the receptionist when you make the appointment that you want to make sure the dr is available to do the fill.

You have every right to get the provider you want. I have a Nurse Practictioner who is excellent no pain or bruising.