Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandwagon Supporters

Studies have shown that the more moolah a person shells out the more successful they are. That being said, if you're like me this is my last chance to get my eating under control. I don't think I'm weak. I start to rationalize reasons for stopping diets i.e. I'm sick of it, I want to eat like everyone else, it's too hard with my schedule....

The reason I overeat most of the time, I'm hungary and I have no sense of portion control! This will help with both of those. GOODLUCK!

If you're looking for the cheapest healthiest way , I drink Walmart brand Meal Replacements times 4 (only 10 grams of Protein each) and then l Protein Drink a day with at least 20 grams of protein. I'm not allowed any solid food. I keep my calories under 1000, and my protein at least 60 grams. I also drink at least 96 oz. liquid (water and decaf) and usually 55 oz. of protein liiquid. I am older and know if I do not get the protein grams a day I will lose muscle mass. That is not what I want and anyway I do not want to go into surgery sick or dehydrated. The head hungry has been difficult at times, but then I get busy---always have a water bottle handy. Before you try anything on your own I would check and get the ok from your doctor and or nutritionist. If they understand your finances at this time, they probably will be glad to work with you. Regardless what ever you chose to take, it is the up most of importance to have a plan and all your suplplies ready before preop time. You want to set yourself up for success not failure. Good luck on your journey. Stay positive. You will succeed!!! Effie ps my surg. is Dec 10th and this is day 4 on my preop and I'm doing ok.

Hi everyone my op is the 12th so I start my pre op diet tomorrow I'm going to stick to 3 Protein Shakes a day I'm from England (is any one else on here from the uk) I'm going to belgium to be banded self funded I'm excited but nervous I'm convinced it's not going to work xxx

So excited! Getting banded next Thursday 12/7 less than a week away!!!

Sheilam123,

I'll be praying for you on the 7th. Best wishes and good luck on your journey!

Effie

Sheilam123' date='

I'll be praying for you on the 7th. Best wishes and good luck on your journey!

Effie[/quote']

That's so sweet, I'll keep you in my prayers too :)

Hello, I just met with my surgeon yesterday and set the date for December 21st.! I start liquids on the 7th and I am starting to get really nervous. I am to have found this site, it helps so much to read everyone's posts :) .

I go in on Dec 3rd I want the next two days to go by fast. I am sooo hungry. The liquid diet is so much harder than I ever thought. The emotional part surprised me!!! anyone out there this way.

Surgery scheduled for Dec 19th. Paying for it myself. Been saving for three years so I'm dedicated to getting this done. Lap band with plication by Dr. Carter (Arlington, TX). As I read more and more food grosses me out more and more. Well large amounts of unhealthy food that is. Feeling like I need more info though. Protein Shakes were recommended but I didn't get any details. Is everyone required to do a pre-op diet?

Thanks in advance to those that answer!

Tara-U, Have u met with the dietician? Every Doctor is different with their set of rules/standards, but seems like most do the preop Protein Shakes. I have surg Dec 10th, so I'm very new here as well. But these folks seem great, so I think your at the right place. Do u have another md appt. before surg? If not I would be calling him or staff with questions. You're among us December bandersters so welcome.....good luck! Effie :)

Hey Startingover,

I hear you about the hungry and it is not all head hunger. This is my 5th preop day and I too am getting hungry so I thought I would try 2 Gummy Fiber chewies and boy did that help. I felt a little gasy and some bloat, so tomorrow I'll probably cut down to 1. But for now bloat is better than HUNGRY;) Then after surg. I'll probably wait until by stomach heals before I go back on the fiber. Of course I will check with by doc first. You don't have too many more days. I know you can do it. I try not to dwell on the number of days---just one day at a time---and the time has a way of going by. Best of luck of your journey and prayers to you! Effie

Sweetspot- haven't met with dietician and have no more appts before surgery. I'll call on Monday. Just found this site and I do think it will be very helpful.

I just got my date -- December 27. I was really anxious to get it in before the end of the year because it would make the difference between getting 100% coverage by insurance vs. having to pay for it 100% out of pocket.

As for pre-op diet, yeah, every surgeon is different. Mine (Dr. Baker in Minneapolis) is having me do a liquid diet, but only for one day pre-surgery. I might switch to mostly liquids a couple days before surgery just to make sure I come in at the right pre-surgery weight and don't have any unpleasant surprises on the day of surgery. He does like the Protein Shakes, and I in particular like the EAS Carb AdvantEDGE ones you can get at Sam's Club -- they're pretty tasty and satisfying, and only have 110 calories, 3 g of carbs, and I think 20 g (or so) of Protein.< /p>

im rarely on forum as im usually busy with other things, but if this is any help...............i was banded LAST December 13, 2011, and i cant believe it almost been a year ! Im down 63 lbs , feel great , get lots of compliments, and cant believe i have my life back ! I swim and walk , follow the Drs rules 95% 0f the time and watched the weight roll off. I 've gone from 225 lbs, frumpy size 18-1x clothes to 163 lbs, wear a size 14 skinny jeans, my sleep apnea is gone, i look and feel healthier and younger, and it just keeps getting better and better ! I still can eat 90% of normal foods , including thin crust pizza, steak, pineapple and celery. the only favorite foods i had to give up was broccoli and thick chicken and thick pork chops, and i can only eat a few bites of any potato item before they expand. i cant help you with the soda pop or alcohol problems as i dont like soda but have a margarita every month or two. Most wheat breads are fine, but depending on the type or brand of biscut i might have a problem. hope this helps you calm your nerves, getting banded was the best decision ever ! Good luck !

This is awesome!!! Inspiring! I started at 230, size 20, 1-2X … I can't wait to slide into a pair of 'skinny jeans' and the whole sleep apnea thing came at me as a total shock w/ pre-op testing! I am trying to lose as much as possible w/ pre-op so that post-op will be easier (or so I am told). I look forward to getting back on track w/ 'normal' foods, but with a 'new-normal' approach to how and what I eat.

I hear a lot of mixed words about soda. I have never been much of a soda drinker, but every now and then I like a Diet Coke or Ginger Ale … some threads and doctors and nutritionalists say NEVER AGAIN … but then others say, once we're past week 6, a little bit every now and then is ok … as long as it is diet and we don't over do it. What is everyone else hearing?

Thanks again for the post … your words are encouraging!!!

C'mon December 18th … !!! Yeah!!! :D