Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Out After 7 Years.. Sleeve To Go In Soon....

HI, I had my band removed yesterday afternoon Monday 22 October 2012. I had my band installed 7 years ago, went from 163KG down to 89, had some reflux related issues and went back to 102Kg. I'm typing this from my hospital bed. Band removal was straightforward ad I'll be released in a few hrs, so only had to stay overnight. In Australia the surgeon won't re-sleeve me till Mid December, after today's visit he will see if there was not much scar tissue removed from around the band, if minimal he will do the Gastric Sleeve Dec 14 otherwise Mid January, I am terrified to keep purring on weight now the band is out. I'll let you know of my progress.

Glad it went well, what was the reason for the band removal?

Glad it went well, what was the reason for the band removal?

I had reflux, even after having most of the Fluid removed and taking a tablet each night to combat it, weight went up from about 95KG to 102Kg.

Good luck in your journey!

Hang in there. Best wishes from a fellow Aussie

I had reflux, even after having most of the Fluid removed and taking a tablet each night to combat it, weight went up from about 95KG to 102Kg.

I've been struggling with reflux (banded 7 years ago) and I notice that some other veteran bandsters have too. I've been wondering if it is something that just happens when the band has been in for a while. Did your doctor explain why? Did you have any damage to your esophagus caused by the acid? I'm really paranoid about that. I hope you are doing OK with your weight while waiting for your sleeve.

Hi there, iv just started haveing this horrible acid taste during the night and not sure what to do about it... Is this anything like u are experiencing ?

I been having reflux since my last fill.. That was some time ago. Ive been overseas for nearly 2 years and certainly not in the type of places you find someone who knows what theyre talking about. Im sitting in the doctors office now to "hopefully" have all of the Fluid removed so i can give myself a rest and then see how it goes..

Like others i am a little worried of other damage caused by the daily acid.. Of course i have taken Mylanta through to Zantac.. Both work, but Mylanta does not last long enough these days..

Lets see what the Doctor has to say

Hello, how is your progress?

All the best from a fellow Aussie

Hi all.

OK had my surgery to have sleeve late December 2012, was 102Kg when band was removed, in 2 months ballooned to 113Kg, 2-3 weeks after the sleeve I dropped to 99kg.....

Had reflux for about 3-4 months and weight increased to 103Kg, saw the doctor in November 2013 because I was not losing weight and was constantly feeling hungry? Forums seemed too indicate hunger due to reflux... Doc put me on 40Mg Nexium for reflux, has been 1 week lost 1kg and not feeling anywhere as hungry as before, Nexium site says effects take 2-3 weeks maximum to fix reflux issues, so I am hoping I am now back on track. For anyone starving after having band removed and sleeve installed, consult your doctor, and maybe try Nexium or something to stop the acid which seems to make you feel hungry constantly and hr or two after a meal.

I been having reflux since my last fill.. That was some time ago. Ive been overseas for nearly 2 years and certainly not in the type of places you find someone who knows what theyre talking about. Im sitting in the doctors office now to "hopefully" have all of the Fluid removed so i can give myself a rest and then see how it goes..

Like others i am a little worried of other damage caused by the daily acid.. Of course i have taken Mylanta through to Zantac.. Both work, but Mylanta does not last long enough these days..

Lets see what the Doctor has to say

I tried TUMS for the acid, it offered very short term relief. 40Mg Nexium made instant results, I take 1 x 40Mg tablet a day.

Glad to see you're back on track!

How are you finding the sleeve?

Glad to see you're back on track!

How are you finding the sleeve?

I find the sleeve so much better than the band, no more throwing up, and can tolerate any food, just in a small quantity. I do think my starving sensation was due to the stomach acid mimicking hunger, will see if I continue to lose weight and i'll update the post in a few weeks.