Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have Fallen So Far Off The Wagon. Can I Get Back On?

I had my surgery in August of 2010, and weighed 262 prior to the surgery. Within six months, I was down to 215 and was feeling great and hadn't had any problems. Went from a size 20 to a size 14, was happy with that. I'm a tall, larger boned girl, so I look pretty good at a size 14.

Then, all hell broke loose in my personal life. Found out my husband was cheating, divorced his lying and cheating ass, was laid off from my job, lost my medical insurance, had my first post-divorce relationship blow up in a very hurtful and spectactular fashion, am dealing with being a single parent of a special needs child.. And, I'm sure many of you understand, emotional eating is what got me to the overweight point I was at in the first place. When things were going fairly well in my life, with the help of my band, I was able to eat carefully and stay on task with walking. I've been so overwhelmed with various life stressors that having to manage eating just got away from me. I'm scared to death to get on the scale, because I think seeing that number would totally cause me to lose it. I would guess from the way my clothes fit that I'm somewhere in the 240's and a size 16 again.

Going to my doctor isn't an option right now, since I am unemployed and do not have insurance. My restriction has been all over the place. There are days I can't get much down, which is why I'm sure I haven't gained ALL my weight back. There are other days that I can eat like crazy. I do truly believe that for me, stress and hormones have a lot to do with how my band works. And, ice cream ALWAYS goes down well.

I really want to gain control of my situation back. I would really appreciate no one slamming me for losing control of my situation... I've dealt with enough as of late, thank you. If there's anyone out there who was able to make their band work for them again after a period of falling off the wagon, I would like to hear from you. I just need some inspiration!

Thanks!

Wow it sounds like you have been through the ringer!!! I am so sorry for the heartache you have been through - how great though that you want to get back on track. For one thing you could go back to the basics, especially if you have your paperwork and stuff. Maybe you could go to some seminars and get them again even if you don't go back to a dr. Start tracking what you eat. Start exercising. Start making your band work for you even if you don't have restriction, just like you did in the beginning before you were filled, etc. At least it's a start, right?

sorry for all your troubles.

thanks for posting and sharing on here.

i hope no one (slams you) as you stated.

we all have different lives and trials and tribulations that

we deal with. nice to meet you.

I've not had your expeiences but right now my band is rather loose. Occasionally I get stuck for a few minutes but it's always my own fault for taking much too large a bite and not chewing properly. I may go back to the doc in January and get a fill. That could speed up my weight loss plan. My band(tool) is similar to where your band is in tightness I would think?

However, I'm still losing weight, although only 1-2 lbs a month now. I'm OK with that. But, my point is, I could fall far away from the bandwagon if I chose to do so. I don't. For you to get back on the wagon with the limited tool you have, you will have to make adjustments in the food you eat and your exercise regimen. There is no miracle pill or comment that can make you start eating healthy again. No one can make you start walking, biking or exercising in your living room but you.

You must already know what you have to do because it wasn't that long ago you did it. Recognizing it here is a first step. Putting together a plan of action and making a commitment is the next step. You CAN do it. You know you can and to be healthy, you must.

tmf

First, I am so incredibly sorry for all you've been through. I also divorced a lying, cheating ass so I know first hand the pain you've been through. It sucks. My heart truly goes out to you.

Maybe you can start over? The 5 day pouch test helps some start over. It starts you back at the liquids diet and over 5 days slowly brings you back to real food. Many say it helps them to mentally start over because it takes you back through the phases you went through post surgery (just faster). Here's a link if you'd like to take a look: http://5daypouchtest.com/plan/theplan.html

I'd also go back to band sized portions, no more than one cup of food per meal. It's another way to get your mind and body both back onto the bandwagon.

Best wishes to you, and remember, it's never to late to start over and get back on the bandwagon.

I'm so sorry Yiuve been dealt such a crappy hand In life lately!

No one is perfect, especially here on lbt. If we were we wouldn't have needed a band in the first place! Try to not beat yourself up over your mistakes. I think the five day pouch test would be great for you to restart!

I am so sorry for your troubles and all the heartache this must have caused you. This is my advice for what it is worth. First you need to get a handle on your emotional eating, I understand you can not go back to your physician at this time but do the have free support groups? This may be a place to start, Another suggestion is to join WW, I know we are not on a diet but WW is a minimal in cost and it is a group of people who can lend support and help you get back control over your head hunger. The five day pouch test may work, I have no idea, never tried it. Maybe if you start tracking your foods on MFP this may help you realize what you are eating. First and foremost you need to start believing in yourself again and not allow the past mistakes continue to drive your future. You did this once and you can do it again.

Looks like life has slammed you enough. Old patterns are hard to break in times of stress. When life is so stressful we reach for things that make us feel loved I would try the 5 day pouch test first. But if that doesn't work go get a fill it will have more meaning for you if it's a sacrifice .Should be around 100.00 and you are worth that. Nothing will feel better then having one section of your life in control and what you put in your mouth you can control.

I promise you 100 times once you feel better about your weight and body , life will look so much better. Besides you have already lost an extra a--hole right????? Best of luck sweetie you CAN DO THIS ...WE ARE CHEERING YOU ON........

Sorry for you..glad you posted here....we have all made that first step and that is the hardest...I agree maybe try support groups....or hang around here and we will all support You.....You can do it.....Remember if God brings you to it....He will walk You through it....

~hugs~ Dee

What I see is that you want help. you came to the right place, keep posting each day. read lots of the posts for ideas. take it easy on yourself and do it one day at a time. maybe sometimes you will have to do one hour at a time. I want to see you succeed and I know I am not alone, we all want you to succeed.

thank you for trusting us with your life.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You've been through quite a lot! I had an issue with my band being too tight and started to get really bad acid reflux and had to have an un-fill. Basically I can eat almost anything and I've gained 23 pounds in three months. I'm trying to get a handle on things without getting a fill. Have you tried increasing the amount of Protein that you eat? I've had some recent success with having lots of protein for Breakfast and lunch. Also, I use the "Lose It" iPhone app to keep track of everything that I eat. It helps me to be more aware of the number of calories that I consume. Please keep in touch and let us know how things go for you.

Ok so you have heard the I'm sorries......and now what to do.

First, swallow hard and step on the scale.... ok that's over with. Now you know where you are at.

Time to put you first!!!! Start by logging your food. I suggest 1200 to 1500 calories a day, high Protein, about 70g. And start exercising, whatever works for you.

You can do this, IT IS NEVER TOO LATE!!!!!! Did you hear me? IT IS NEVER TOO LATE!!!!!!

Oh and finally keep checking in here. This is the best support you can get.

And by the way, I'm sorry, too!

I believe in you. You can rock this thing again!!!!!!!!!

I also had a setback, started back to the gym this week and need to start eating like I was before. 70lbs done and gained back 20 over the last 6 months. It's very defeating but at least we have the tools and know we can do it! Hope you get back in the game!