Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restriction Or Suppression?

Hi everyone!

I'm a little confused....Does the Lapband suppress the appetite? Or is it about the restriction? Or both? My primary doc said it doesn't suppress!? And can you really stay satisfied for 4-5 hrs?

Thanks guys!

Well, that's not easy to answer.

First, this link explains it extremely well: http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

It does suppress the appetite. When you have adequate Fluid in your band, you can go 4 or more hours without physical hunger. Maybe appease the physical hunger is a better word? Regardless, I can easily go 4-5 hours without hunger after eating very little food.

Thanks Mis73! Dr. Simpson's site is great....I thought about having him do my surgery. I love that he does plication with the band.

I hope to have a great loss as you, you are AMAZING!

Thanks Mis73! Dr. Simpson's site is great....I thought about having him do my surgery. I love that he does plication with the band.

I hope to have a great loss as you, you are AMAZING!

Oh thank you, you're very sweet, but I assure you I'm not amazing. Just a fat chic desperate not to be a fat anymore so I'm willing do whatever it takes to lose it :)

For Breakfast this morning though I wasnt hungry I ate because I knew it would be awhile befor Id be having lunch...so at 7:30 I ate a greek yogurt cup with 1/8 C granola.....then I went to dr appts and took a cheese stick with me just incase I ran late....good thing...didnt get out of Drs till 1:20...I ate the ww cheese stick and I really sat and thought about it...I was fine....not starving...just didnt really care if I ate or not....I got home at 3:30 made a salad and had a Protein Bar and Im good to go......Band life....gotta love it....

Oh my goodness yes I will have dinner..I have a plate in the fridge from the other night I made thinking it was going to be that nights meal and I could only eat half of it...so i will have that tonight...a 2 oz piece of fish a 1/2 c rice...and Im going to make a small salad....and arounf 8 pm I have snacks...a yogurt or SF pudding....and maybe a string cheese....

Thank you...if you had only seen how I use to eat...Id never believe this would fill me....heck befor banding I could of eattin all that befor lunch !

It truly is a great tool. I too can eat a small amount of food and stay satisfied for at least 3 or more hours. I am surprised everyday at how little I can eat and not feel hungry. I was banded 6 weeks ago. I am so happy with this decision.

I don't think the band is magical but I kind of think it's magical lol. It really is amazing how well it works and how great I feel. I wasn't losing all that well the last bit (about a month) and feeling discouraged so I got back to basics and did it all again like I'm supposed to, actually listening to my hunger and also tracking calories etc and lo and behold I finally dropped. It will work for you too!!

Personally, I feel restricition in my band is what helped me to lose almost 100 lbs.I still routinely got hungry, but after only a few bites of food, I was satiated. After a slip 6 mths ago and unfills/fills/tweaks, I'd love to go back to feeling that same restriction I once had!

Marci

Missy said it best when she said " Maybe appease the physical hunger is a better word?". My band appeases my physical hunger. It is a great tool, however it does not 'fix' the head hunger. That is up to us! It also doesn't make our food choices. That is up to us! If we can manage the food choices and head hunger then we are on our way!!!!! :lol:

I have to say that although the band does not "fix" head hunger, it sure does help. Before the band I was constantly thinking about food and obsessing over what I could put in my mouth next. Some days I still battle head hunger but food is not always controlling my thoughts like it used to. Some days I don't really think about food at all!