Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plication ~ Yes Or No?

This is interesting to me because I have plication but didn't know it. I am self pay so I didn't think it was included. It was more than two months later when they were talking about it at support group that I found out he does it to all.. I said they were wrong and the nurse showed me my chart and sure enough, I had it. Now that it's all done I am glad he did - I've had no problems, I feel really great and I think it will help. It sort of freaked me out though and I probably wouldn't have chosen it but I'm glad now that I have it. Does any of that make sense? Dr. didn't sneak it in, I just didn't realize.

And sommers, plication is where the fold a bit of the stomach up and sew some of it so your stomach is smaller in the portion it still holds. My understanding is that it IS reversible but haven't thought about it that much... google it maybe? Interesting pictures out there about it. I think it's becoming more common.

They did plication on you without telling you or your insurance company? That's kind of scary to me...Not the plication part, the part about not telling you...Just sayin'!

I have the band with plication. I was told they were both reversible. The band always was and with the plication still being tested that is was reversible up to 5-7 years.

The band always was done with plication? I've never heard that. I was banded in 2007, did not have plication at that time, so that's news to me.

The only published research studies I can find on early uses of the band with plication are related to adjustable gastric band placement in a juxtapyloric position as part of biliopancreatic diversion surgery (one of the most "drastic" bariatric surgery procedures). Juxtapyloric means placement of the band at the base of the stomach near the pyloric valve. That's not the same kind of plication that's now done as a stand-alone WLS procedure or in combination with band placement.

There is also a procedure called Nissan fundiplication, a treatment for reflux. I don't know if can be done in conjunction with band placement. It involves folding the upper part of the stomach up over the lower esophagus and stitching it in place.

Plication just means folding in and suturing of tucks, so I suppose it could be another way of describing the way bariatric surgeons pull a fold of tissue over the band and suture it in place to prevent band slippage, a technique has been refined over time.

having the plication (wont help you) lose any faster (or any) if you dont help the band/plication by changing eating habits and exercising some. its an aid just like the band. its not a miracle cure all. you have to still eat right and exercise.

there is no cutting only suturing and if done incorrectly, there can be complications. but any

medical procedure has that risk. hope that helps. it was just a decision my surgeon and i made

that works for me. and it is

just my thoughts.

Oh, one more thing.

About the rumor of tissue death resulting from any kind of plication - I have never found any studies or clinical evidence of that. I'm sure it's possible, but I suspect that it's rare.

One thing to keep in mind is that gastric plication as a WLS procedure is relatively new. The first patient I personally know of to have it is a Canadian woman, about 2 years ago. With such a new procedure, there just isn't enough evidence of anything (negative or positive) for us to be able to confidently state a list of risks and complications (other than those related to laparascopic surgery in general).

as always, jean is dead on.

pr my surgeon, i asked him about the dying tissue as i heard it referenced on here often

after all, he is the one who did my plication

he said if the suturing is done incorrectly and too high up towards the band, there is a chance of tissue

decay but he says its very rare.

he stressed its in early stages and the results seem positive but stressed patient management to make it work.

seems strange that people just toss out assumptions they heard about without asking their doctor about it.

no wonder things get (bad) mouthed

I wish they had routinely been using plication with the band when I had mine done 3 yrs ago. Maybe it would've prevented me from having a slip 6 mths ago and still sufferring from the complications! If I have to have a revision of my band done, I will ask for plication also this time!

Marci

Oh' date=' one more thing.

About the rumor of tissue death resulting from any kind of plication - I have never found any studies or clinical evidence of that. I'm sure it's possible, but I suspect that it's rare.

One thing to keep in mind is that gastric plication as a WLS procedure is relatively new. The first patient I personally know of to have it is a Canadian woman, about 2 years ago. With such a new procedure, there just isn't enough evidence of anything (negative or positive) for us to be able to confidently state a list of risks and complications (other than those related to laparascopic surgery in general).[/quote']

Jean did you have the sleeve or band done? You are so knowledgable about wls... Not to influence my decision but if you had to do it over tomorrow would you choose plication and lap band?

Jean did you have the sleeve or band done? You are so knowledgable about wls... Not to influence my decision but if you had to do it over tomorrow would you choose plication and lap band?

I had Lap-Band surgery in September 2007 but had to have my band removed in April 2012 because of esophageal stenosis (damage from 20+ years of silent reflux). I had sleeve surgery in August 2012.

I'm having trouble adjusting to life with my sleeve. I loved my band and if I could go back to 2007 and plication was available then, I would have band with plication done.

Jean

P.S. - Thanks for the compliment about my WLS knowledge. For the benefit of other members who might be reading this thread, I want to say that I'm not just a puffed-up know-it-all. I'm a freelance writer specializing in health and medicine.

I had Lap-Band surgery in September 2007 but had to have my band removed in April 2012 because of esophageal stenosis (damage from 20+ years of silent reflux). I had sleeve surgery in August 2012.

I'm having trouble adjusting to life with my sleeve. I loved my band and if I could go back to 2007 and plication was available then, I would have band with plication done.

Jean

P.S. - Thanks for the compliment about my WLS knowledge. For the benefit of other members who might be reading this thread, I want to say that I'm not just a puffed-up know-it-all. I'm a freelance writer specializing in health and medicine.

let me also add, for anyone reading this thread, jeannie

is one of the nicest people and will offer advice or just listen

to anyone regarding the band or whatever else you wanna talk to her about.. if you have concerns about the band, ask her.

in my opinion, she is a know it all when it comes to the band in my opinion and i mean that in all the best meanings and also someone whom i call a friend.

My surgeon in Sydney, Australia described the plication as part of the procedure. I wasn't aware that it was an option. He is considered one of the leading WLS surgeons in oz. I've had no issues and understood the reason they did sew a little bit over the band was to help secure it in place prevent slips

Maybe I misread what you wrote? I believe all bands are sutured in place, the plication is the folding of your whole stomach beneath the band. It's folded then sutured. Kind of two procedures in one. I see some people have either or on this forum, and some have both. Because the plication is so new ( not many long term studies on it) I was just curious about others' experiences/ fears of the "unknown" lol

The plication is different than the sewing of the stomach over the band. This video is pretty graphic but shows EXACTLY what is being done. I loved watching it! Are we allowed to post links to youtube? I found this on youtube in my research. I think it gives you a good idea about what is going on in a plication. If I am not supposed to post links, please let me know. I'm relatively new to posting to this forum. Thank you!!