Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The negatives of this lap band.....

....are really starting to scare me.

I appreciate all the honesty on this board, it sure makes me think. If I thought there was any other way, I'd do it.

This seems like the most effective, I don't care how slow my turtle goes, and it seems the safest, but damn, I wish there was another way.

Paulax,

I wished there was another way also, I have tried a lot of things. I would not consider the rny because of the negatives. I am over 2 years out and the biggest problem I have had is loosing slow and the occasinal PB.

I am very happy and know now that I made the right decission for me. I have lost 90 lbs to date. 50 the first year 40 the second, hope to go another 30 before I stop. The thing that is most important to me is that for the first time I do not feel like giving up! Never went this long on any program before. I attribute this to less hunger sensasions after surgery and haveing to eat slowly and carefully eating is a chore.

Each of us need to make sure what is right for us, because what is right for one person is not necessarly right for another.

Trish

What negatives specificially are you refering to Paulax?

For me, the only negative, if it can be called that, is that I can not eat as much as my head wants to.

What negatives specificially are you refering to Paulax?

For me, the only negative, if it can be called that, is that I can not eat as much as my head wants to.

I just read DeLarla's post on http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=16715

I guess that is what really bothered me....

but thanks for your reply...If the only thing I have to complain about is that I can not eat as much as my head wants to. I will consider tjhe band a godsend.

Paulax, I agree that her thread was a little overwhelming to say the least. However NOT ALL PEOPLE ARE DELARLA. You may NEVER experience a problem in the least bit. I am not saying that you will be problem free, however your body is different from mine, Delarlas, HarleyNana etc etc etc. Her problems could have been cause by the eroded band, slippage etc. We will never know. You have to live your life for you!

I think of it like this, without the band I would still be 265lbs...no I would be bigger by now. You have take every moment with the band and embrace. Lose your weight, live, learn and enjoy. Retrain yourslef as much as you can. Try and teach yourself to eat like a "smaller" person does. Eat when you are hungry, get through the head hunger. Prepare yourself for the day that you may lose your band but dont let it rule you.

Just know after my big speil there, I am re reading it and thinking I really have to take my own advice more. Its soooo much easier said than done, but I would do this again in a heart beat...over and over again.

I Love my band. I wish that i know about it before!

No problem i can eat everything just chew good and its all.

Banded 08-11-05 286

current 03-25-06 231:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

There are negatives with every thing in life...but for me I focused on the possitvie things my band did for me regardless of my erosion. I do not regret my band for one single second. Even though I NO longer have it I am happier and healthier then I have been in years. I am maintaining my weight loss without my band and I am damn proud of that !

Do not let the negatives scare you..think possitive :confused:

I am still sore from having to have my band replaced due to slippage, and there has not been one single second (not even when I was going through reflux and told I needed another surgery) that I regretted my decision to get the band. Yes, there are some potential complications, but even with a slip I would do it again. And again, and again (but I sure hope I don't have to!). :confused:

I honestly cannot say there's been a negative for me so far. Easy surgery, easy recovery, miraculous weight loss, head catching up to body. I"m so happy!

The only negatives I've had with the band are bouts of reflux (preventable by managing my own behavior) and spending lots of money on clothes. Living as a banded person is something we have to learn how to do, and there are bumps and changes we simply have to adapt to. If we can't or won't the negatives will be greatly increased.

But losing almost 130 lbs vs. the "negatives" of occasional reflux? No contest.

Yes there are those POSSIBLE negatives like erosion, slippage and esophageal complications. Not everyone faces them.

Personally, the negatives of morbid obesity or other malabsorptive procedures are much worse.

The positives of the band, thus far for me far outweigh (pun intended) the potential negatives. I never would have lost 70+ lbs and kept it off this long without the band. Yes, we all struggle a bit and we may lose slower but that's O.K. with me. The point is, we lose and the band is always there as a tool to help us in our endeavors.

So far...I could not and do not imagine any negative that outweighs the positive of this band.....Its worth it versues the negatives of being overweight and dying...just my HO

Much love

I am very happy with my decision to get the band...The only negative that I see is the money I have to spend buying new clothes, new shoes and even jewlery!! :D Actually as I am typing this post, my UPS driver just dropped off new clothes for me!!! :biggrin1: How funny is that!? Anyways.....everyone is different and as long as you take care of your band and listen to your doctor...eat right, chew right, exercise and have a positive outlook everything works out. And if something happens, then it happens, you work through it with support from your family, doctor, friends and most of all....your spirit. I have found that I am much happier now than before...I look in the mirror and love it....I get compliments more now than before....cuddling with my husband in bed is different too...now I feel so small and safe in his arms where before I felt like a big blob of yuck!!!!! I hope that you decide to look at the positives more than the negative...your life can be so much more healthier, happier, sexier, vibrant and alive...more than you could ever wish for.

Take care and think "positive"....:)