Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shirataki Noodles

Has anyone tried Shirataki Noodles.

Pasta is the one thing that I think I am really going to miss if I cannot stomach it. I am only a week post-op so I obviously have not tried anything thicker than yogurt; so who knows, maybe I will be okay with Pasta.< /p>

I tried them. OK at first then they turned my stomach. Not for me. Find them in organic section of grocery store.

Are they "ok" to eat? What are they made out of?

Shirataki noodles are made from the tubers of an Asian plant (Amorphophallus konjac) called a konjac plant. The tubers are dried and ground to make a flour which is then used to make noodles.

Just so you know what they are. They aren't bad... but they have a smell... you need to rinse them really really well before you use them.

I am 8 weeks post now and I have had a tiny bit of Pasta. Honestly it was the one thing I thought I was going to miss the most and I haven't craved it at all! Never thought I would say that I am going to pass on Pasta at a restaurant out! Now I look at the pasta... think about it a minute and then I am okay with getting something else... i don't feel like I am at a loss anymore!

Good luck and congrats on being 1 week out and here is to many more wonderful weeks!

They are ok. They do not taste like Pasta but will do. The first day they were a little Gummy second day ok. try it

wendy

The most important thing is that they are zero cal, zero carb.

Pasta is my favorite food. I tried the shiratake (sp?) noodles and couldn't stomach them. I rinsed them a few times, but the smell and the texture and taste... Yikes! :/

What about spaghetti squash? Anyone try that instead?

It still taste like squash and it's a starch veggie. I personally don't care for the grainy texture.

The most important thing is that they are zero cal' date=' zero carb.

[/quote']

:::jaw drops:::

"Did you say 'zero calories' for a Pasta? How?"

:::jaw drops:::

"Did you say 'zero calories' for a Pasta? How?"

They are made from the Konja plant and they really are zero cal. Here is the upshot: they are see-through much like other Asian noodles. The come in a bag with liquid in them. You cut open the bag and it smells much like seaweed or fish ( probably from sitting in the water). Rinse rinse and rinse again. They are a little chewy. They are not HORRIBLE but not the absolute best either. You can try to make them with several different types of sauce to get what works for you. They make you feel full longer than Pasta. ( there is even a supplement of Konja for dieters)

I found them by called the local Japanese market. They are in the refrigerated section. I couldn't find them elsewhere.

Doctor Oz sings its praise if that is worth anything to you.

We have tem here in Australia, I came across the more as a gluten free thing, and a fantastic source of soluble fibre, which i really beneficial for m particular bowel issues.

They're called Slimpasta here.

For a zero calorie alternative to Pasta, they're fabulous! They do taste the same but are near enough to satisfy, my kids will even eat them!

But if you can't handle Pasta with your band, I doubt these will be any easier. The texture is very similar.

Gave up pasta; a real sticker for me...one bite and I was done.

You will be surprised that you really do not miss foods that were soooo important.

I would love to have some hashbrowns, can not eat re-cooked potato. I do have a baked

potato occasionally....it is my big carb splurge. Oh ya; I would kill for a grilled

cheese sandwich...but I'd rather be wearing these size 12 jeans.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT WHAT YOU WILL BE MISSING....IT'S JUST NOT IMPORTANT ANYMORE.

Good Luck

The way I look at it I have crammed my lifetime share of Pasta and pizza and sticky rice into the first 42 years of my life. If I don't have those things ever again well I had my fair share already!

The way I look at it I have crammed my lifetime share of Pasta and pizza and sticky rice into the first 42 years of my life. If I don't have those things ever again well I had my fair share already!

I completely agree!

Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard about "SlimPasta." Fascinating.

Overall, I'm eating mostly Proteins and veges but I do let myself taste foods I enjoy. Thanks to the band (the best health decision I ever made) I'm eating wayyyy less than I used to and that's made all the difference. It's now possible for me to have a spoon of something and consciously savor it rather than bingeing on three cups of it but not really enjoying it and regretting it afterwards.