Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2012 Bandsters

Hello, I was banded on 10/14 and I've cheated a couple of times. I don't go in for my first fill until 11/27. :(. But I feel healed and able to eat regular food but in moderation. Am I hurting myself by doing this? Thanks

I feel the same way! I have no idea.

ladys and gentlemen ive discovered i can run !!! minf its at one minute intervals of one min running one minute power walk and a 20min sequel but still I CAN RUN

That's wonderful! Running has a way of healing the soul too. I'd sign up for a 5k in your area ASAP to keep the momentum going.

As far as hurting your knees go, skinny people hurt their knees too. I ran a marathon at 240 lbs two years ago in under 5 hrs with no injury so just take it easy and listen to your body. Runny gives you the fasted results too! Belly fat MELTS away and your hips shrink in no time.

Jeff Galloway's programs for running injury free are invaluable.

Congrats!

Hello' date=' I was banded on 10/14 and I've cheated a couple of times. I don't go in for my first fill until 11/27. :(. But I feel healed and able to eat regular food but in moderation. Am I hurting myself by doing this? Thanks[/quote']

What kinds of food are you thinking will hurt? Are you eating small bites and chewing good?

You are hurting yourself in two ways at least 1) the food phases are to help your band heal and create enough scar tissue so that it doesn't slip. Eating wrong foods at this stage does not help. even if you feel healed it doesn't mean that you are. 2) mentally, if you are cheating now, you will figure out how to cheat later too. Success depends on getting out of your own way and letting the band do its job. Working with the band and your team is fool proof!

I personally have found ways to cheat and stretch the boundaries for a long time. That's why I'm BMI 40. I've done that to myself, all alone, no help from thyroid issues or genetics. Why in the world would I want to keep those same behaviors now on my last life line?

You are new into this ( as am I) no mistake is irreversible. You are probably starving too which is a whole new territory in itself. I want to be successful and I want that for you too. Hope I wasn't too harsh.

Well, I am to days post op and so far so good. I just keep wondering if I am ever going to get the gas pain that everyone talks about. If I haven't had any yet, will I not get it? I am sill low on energy but that is really the worst of it. I have had one anxiety attack thinking "

what the heck have I done?" I have irrational thoughts like what if I can never eat foods I love again. As an addict, that is a hard thought:(

I didnt get much gas pain at all. Everyone is different so you may not get it.

Yes, you will be able to eat all the foods you like but in much, much smaller portions. As you progress on your journey you will find yourself making better choices as far as the types of food you eat.

Keep us posted on your journey!

I am eating soft food. For example, today, I ate half a pancake and egg beaters. Stuff like that. I can honestly say that my surgeon didn't really explain why the strict diet after the surgery. I basically got a piece of paper and that said soft mushy food for weeks 2-3. Thank you for the info on why all the restrictions :)

I am at a stand still, reached 290, some days its back up as high as 293, never under 290 though. cant figure out if I am doing something wrong, I know I am not as full as I used to be, get a fill the end of november and I sure hope it helps with a little more restriction.

I don't have my first fill for four more weeks. I am not really hungry, just really miss food lol. After only eating broth and Jello for three weeks, it makes you wonder when you go to mushies and eat more calories, will you not but on weight? I'm not complaining, just confused on how this works when our calorie intake has been extremely reduced. One more question, why is banders weight loss so much slower than gastric bypass? How much less can we possibly eat?

I don't know the answer to your questions but they are good ones and I am hoping someone will answer! I want to know too! :)

I was banded 10/26. I lost 15 lb the first post op week. This week I added 1 ensure daily and Soup. (cream of chicken with no fat milk) I have gained 2. Lbs. What am I doing wrong?

I was banded 10/26. I lost 15 lb the first post op week. This week I added 1 ensure daily and Soup. (cream of chicken with no fat milk) I have gained 2. Lbs. What am I doing wrong?

Ensure is for people gaining weight right? What's in it!

I am at a stand still' date=' reached 290, some days its back up as high as 293, never under 290 though. cant figure out if I am doing something wrong, I know I am not as full as I used to be, get a fill the end of november and I sure hope it helps with a little more restriction.[/quote']

I am sure everything is fine! I had to really get it into my head that I am going to have days or even weeks where the scale wont budge. I retain Water weight real easy so I don't kill myself when I am the same or a lb or two more. I bet your fill will do the trick! I go for my first fill on the 26th.

yea being a gym person is strange but im loving it' date=' im loving the new energy lease i have its fabulous and actually being able to work out hard n not be dying lol and it makes me so much happier with my moods[/quote']

Tomorrow will be my first day after surgery at the gym. I can't wait.

I would get Protein Shakes.< /p>

I don't know the answer to your questions but they are good ones and I am hoping someone will answer! I want to know too! :)

I don't know if these answers will fully tell you what you want, but this is what I understand. On the mushies gaining weight thing - no you will not gain weight so long as you are continuing to stay under your calorie limit for the day. A female human burns about 1700-1800 calories per day just to be alive (for heavier people this is higher) - that's sitting there, doing nothing, just continuing on - so even if you go from say 500 calories per day on broth and Jello to 900 calories per day on mushies you will still be well under this requirement and your body will have to use its fat stores just to keep going and make up that difference. You obviously wont be losing as much as you might if you are only doing liquids and jello, but that kind of diet is not sustainable or healthy for long periods of time. You should also focus on Protein and veggies rather than carb heavy foods like potatoes, etc. This will also help your body burn more of its fat stores.

on the GB vs band thing - I dont know exactly why they loose so much faster, but my understanding is that over a 5 year period, weightloss with both is virtually the exact same. In an incidental conversation where with my weightloss counsellor at my doctor's office about how I didnt understand why you would want to re-route your intestines he said that they would only recommend a bypass if a person literally had like 6 months to live unless they lost weight. It can lead to many issues with nutrient loss and something called dumping syndrome where the person's blood sugars go out of control because the stomach is what is supposed to absorb the sugars.

the band may take longer, but there are far less complications, and by losing the weight slower you reduce both heath problems and some things like extra, sagging skin, etc.

hope this helps!

October Bandsters...I have joined the Thankful November Challenge in the general lapband talk forum. It is about challenging yourself and setting goals for the end of November. Just thought I'd throw it out there for any others who might be interested!

Yay! My first fill an hour ago!

I was banded on 10/11/12. Turns out my surgeon put 6 ccs in my 10cc band when he places it! I really didn't start getting hungry until the last couple of days.

Today, she added 0.2 cc. I am so afraid I'm still going to be hungry!