Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beginning My Pre-Op Journey & The Nutritionist Suggests Herbal Life?

Hello All--

So this is only the second time I've posted. I found this site while researching the lap band procedures. I've read hundreds of the stories each of you have shared. And many of these stories have reaffirmed God's word to me that I should take this step of faith.

Little background...I'm 45, a proud mother of a college freshman, and I've been overweight all of my life EXCEPT when I was pregnant. During my pregnancy I lost weight (about 60 lbs!) and I made the mistake of believing that my metabolism would stay there and I'd keep it off...NOT! So...needless to say, over the past 18 years I've gained that weight back ++++ more.

I, like many of you, have tried EVERY (& I mean EVERY) weight loss plan out there. And they all work...for a while. Then you stop buying all of those expensive products, stick to the program for a while...then the weight loss plateau...you get discouraged and can that attempt...then the weight comes back.

I, like many of you, am TIRED of carrying these extra unnecessary pounds. I thought I was beyond the normal health conditions that are associated with obesity until the last few years of my life. I've never, I mean NEVER, had problems with my blood pressure until 2 years ago. Now I'm on medication. Reflux that NEVER leaves...yeah I got that too. Constant joint pain from carrying the additional weight..that's me too. Diabetes runs on both sides of my family--I've still escaped that one, but who knows...it could be knocking at my door too.

I want to live to see my child graduate college, get married, have kids. I can't do that how I am now. I'm an only child, and while I'm blessed to still have my dad, God called my mama and best friend home almost 5 years ago to cancer. If God calls me, I don't want it to be because I didn't take care of my temple...my body.

Hence the reason for my screen name...I'm ON A MISSION IN 2012 to take my life back!

So I began my mission with my insurance BCBS CareFirst. I was surprised to find out that I do not need pre approval to have the surgery because I live outside of the United States. I asked the CSR 4 times to be sure. I said "I don't want any surprise bills from BCBS...ARE YOU SURE?" lol and she referred me to the benefits book and told me what page to go to. Hallelujah!!! I'm on my way! I want to be banded in December!!!

I still want to have the psychological & nutritional evaluations..just in case. And I believed that they would benefit me in the long run. So I scheduled an appointment with the nutritionist for yesterday. I expected her to tell me that I didn't need the surgery...that I COULD DO THIS...with her help of course...but I did not expect her to try and tell me that Herbal Life was the only way!!! I figured that she would map out a meal plan...with regular foods...to learn to eat healthier and to learn Portion Control. She kept pushing the Herbal Life. I was so mad. I finally said "look lady, I'm positive that Herbal Life works...for the time you're on it. It's no different from the hundreds of other weight loss programs I've tried. But when you've been overweight all of your life, and you've yo-yo dieted for most of that time, it comes a point when you have to CHANGE YOUR LIFESTYLE. I believe that with the lap band I can do just that. It will allow me to eat regular foods (not shakes) for the rest of my life..at no additional cost (lol) but it will assist me with portion control. It will make me listen to my body and stop eating when I'm full." She really didn't have a comeback...so she asked me what I wanted her to write in her evaluation for me. She did ask me to do the Herbal Life until I had my surgery...I told her I'd think about it.

Whew...I guess I've said a mouthful. :rolleyes: I'll continue to be encouraged by your posts...your struggles..your triumphs..your knowledge. My appointment with the surgeon is 22 Oct. I'm excited. I've met him before because I went with a friend of mine to one of her appointments. My goal is to be banded mid December. I always said that I never wanted to have surgery again (I've had my gall bladder & spleen removed), but God is guiding this ship...and I'm on for the ride.

Blessings to each of you.

Congratulations on your decision. My first step would be to find another nutritionists............perhaps your surgeon can recommend one. Wait to see what your surgeon wants you to accomplish between now and surgery, keeping in mind you will probably have to do a pre op liquid diet of some sort.

I would have been on fire when she mentioned HL after your rant........good for you for staying calm.

Thank you..

I'm all for the liquid diet pre & post surgery...but for her sole reason to sell me her product? NOT!

One thing I have a lot of is patience...I'll be alright...I'm just READY now, you know?

Take care.

Wow. First of all...great job. You seem like you have done your research and are mentally prepared (which is the most important!)

Forget what the dietitian/nutritionist said about herbal life. If you really want to follow this to the T then I suggest you seek another opinion. My dietitian gave me a meal plan for a person having a bypass, and said it was the same thing. Totally different, I threw the paper as soon as I got outta that place.

Your mind and heart are on the right place, everything else will fall into place. Congrats on making the first steps to your new you and journey. If you have any questions feel free to message me.

B)

Thanks for the encouragement! It's harder for me to find another nutritionist because I live in Europe, but the surgeon does have a nutritionist that works with him.

Even though BCBS doesn't require it for pre-approval since I live outside the US, I was trying to cover my bases in case BCBS developed a case of amnesia! lol

And yes...I am so spiritually and mentally ready for this next season in my life!

Congratulations on your decision. My first step would be to find another nutritionists............perhaps your surgeon can recommend one. Wait to see what your surgeon wants you to accomplish between now and surgery, keeping in mind you will probably have to do a pre op liquid diet of some sort.

I would have been on fire when she mentioned HL after your rant........good for you for staying calm.

wow, wonder how much Herbal Life is paying her for referrals?

I would definitely look for a new nutritionist. That is just not right.

Best wishes with your surgery! I would say get with a different nutritionist and start ASAP