Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Is Wrong With Me?

I don't know what is wrong with me. I am 9 days post op and I am already testing my band limits. I am so upset with myself. I feel like I have no idea what I am doing. It's like I can't stand not to already give up on myself and self sabotage. I have lost 17lbs in 3 weeks and it doesn't even register.

Nothing is wrong with you. You are just getting used to all of this. It is really hard once you get your appetite back but it is important to follow the "banister rules". I mentioned this in another post - follow the bandster rules: Slowly progress through liquids, purees, mushies, soft solids, then real food, eat slowly, chew chew chew, don't drink anything during or after meals (for 90 minutes), and eat only a cup of food at a time. It seems really overwhelming at this moment, but take it one day at a time, then a week at a time. It will soon feel like second nature to you if you accept the path you are on. If you follow the "rules" you will be so much more satisfied and you won't put your body at risk. Your body is healing from a serious surgery and you need to give it time. I know you can do it. Keep your eye on the prize and care for your body. You've come a long way so far and you can't give up yet. You have so many great things coming. You just wait! Best wishes to you!

I hear you. I was on the same boat...day 3 post op and I ate half a sandwich. Just because I thought I could. I didn't eat another sandwich for about 6 months... I hate it them. Even the thought of them because of the guilt and above all the pain it caused.

I've been banded since 10/21/11 and I know my band limits because I tested them all. However you must have the will to succeed. If not the weight will win... You have to literally take it day by day until you are more comfortable and your mind jumps on this big change.

Your body will adjust faster than your mentality of having the band...Trust me. I went through it but I don't regret it at all. After 6 months and 3 fills I am at a place where I don't WANT anymore fills, I am loosing on will, diet and exercise.

Everything will be ok, its a learning experience and you've already taken the biggest and most important step B)

I don't know what is wrong with me. I am 9 days post op and I am already testing my band limits. I am so upset with myself. I feel like I have no idea what I am doing. It's like I can't stand not to already give up on myself and self sabotage. I have lost 17lbs in 3 weeks and it doesn't even register.

well, why are you testing it?

does that mean you are overeating in amount or eating something not listed on your post op?

Thanks for the honest and encouraging posts.

Emily how are you testing yourself? Maybe you are being a little hard on yourself. There has to be some kind of learning curve. BlackCad, thanks for sharing the 1/2 sandwich story. It makes me see how this is part discipline part trial & error with a dose of science on the side. & that we are only human too.I have noticed a lot of variation in post op diet and band management plans. I am 4 days post op and trying to follow liquids but am a little lost too. First added Protein Powder doesn't look "clear" to me. Lol

Second, Jello broth, diet juice, shakes are tasting and feeling soooooo artificial and processed.

Leaning on tea Water & popsicles. Todays plan

Is making homeade chicken Soup & straining it.

Adding skim & soy milk in "test quantity".

Any suggestions???? Much obliged!

For the first week I was lucky and didnt have a appitite...when I did get it back I was to scared to eat anything that wasnt mushies..but I was so hungry....finally I called my dr and told him...He told me to go ahead and try....I did and a few times ate way more then I should of...because I didnt feel any trouble...but through this site and the great people....I learned or am learning..to fallow rules...they are there for a reson....we want suscess ...Good Luck hun

Thank you for the encouragement. As far as "testing" my band...I ate some meat, had a little ice cream and the other day I had chips and salsa. I am on purée but I really don't purée, I just chew it well. I really feel like I don't even have the band. I have no restriction, no gas, no pain (except my port incision) and haven't even felt nausea. I guess I have not been extreme but I am an all or nothing type person so if I make a mistake it is over and I have failed. I love this site because it helps me realize that I need to take it one day at a time and never give up.

Thanks for the honest and encouraging posts.

Emily how are you testing yourself? Maybe you are being a little hard on yourself. There has to be some kind of learning curve. BlackCad, thanks for sharing the 1/2 sandwich story. It makes me see how this is part discipline part trial & error with a dose of science on the side. & that we are only human too.I have noticed a lot of variation in post op diet and band management plans. I am 4 days post op and trying to follow liquids but am a little lost too. First added Protein Powder doesn't look "clear" to me. Lol

Second, Jello broth, diet juice, shakes are tasting and feeling soooooo artificial and processed.

Leaning on tea Water & popsicles. Todays plan

Is making homeade chicken Soup & straining it.

Adding skim & soy milk in "test quantity".

Any suggestions???? Much obliged!

I was on Clear Liquids 24 hours after surgery and then 10 days on thin liquids and then 10 days on full liquids. I stuck to Protein Shakes and Soups on my liquid diets.

Thank you for the encouragement. As far as "testing" my band...I ate some meat, had a little ice cream and the other day I had chips and salsa. I am on purée but I really don't purée, I just chew it well. I really feel like I don't even have the band. I have no restriction, no gas, no pain (except my port incision) and haven't even felt nausea. I guess I have not been extreme but I am an all or nothing type person so if I make a mistake it is over and I have failed. I love this site because it helps me realize that I need to take it one day at a time and never give up.

Wow that was soo me again. I did'nt really start getting used to "having" a band until my first fill which was 1-2 months out. I did loose little (probably because I wasnt following the rules) from the time of my op to my first fill. In retrospect I only regret part of it because I would have been that much closer to my goal. That's about it. It will be a fighting battle with hunger, mental games, calories, scales, etc etc etc forever, however, you have the help of the band and this board and the battles get easier....can't say that they are won yet because I myself am not there, yet.

I had the band installed 3 years ago next month. I started at 312 post surgery. I studied so much about the GB that I decided I didn't like the what I read the Futhet out I went. So I went with the lapband. Once I got to the right restriction I was at 203lbs. Basically I had did it all myself. Few months later I had an issue at work. I could and would not move an elderly lady by myself when she was a 2 person lift. I told her I couldn't do it she insisted. I had anxiety and didn't go to work that day. Got meds from my pcp. And before the end of the month I was throwing everything up. I'm switching to the sleeve and feeling of with how rude the woman who answers the phone is. If they want you to fax a request yelling at me I can't do it myself?? Is so unnecasary. I don't want to go back where I was over a year ago so I'm doing the trial liquid diet to distract myself. With 4oz of meat n salad. The band doesn't work til you get to the right restriction. Hang in there

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by PatriotFan