Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Do You Do When You Are On Vacation?

Am so excited! I was very nervous two weeks ago when I headed out on a two week cruise. I am a cruisaholic and always enjoyed the food! One of the main reasons I had WLS was because my husband and I love to cruise, but it was getting to a point where we were not enjoying it as much because all we were doing was eating because I was not able to get around and enjoy the locations we went to.

This time, I was able to getoff the ship and do some touring. I worked out twice a day! We even went to the gym onboard the ship together! We upgraded to a new program on the ship that had us eating in a healthy restaurant every night. It was actually fantastic. I even had a taste or two of desert each day.

Because I am a scale freak also, I weighed myself each day in the fitness center. By the time I left the ship I thought I was down 1.5 pounds. I arrived home on Saturday, my normal "real" weigh in day is Monday. When I hoped on the scale Monday morning, I was down 7 pounds from my last weigh in the day we left on vacation!

So I am ecstatic! I enjoyed great food, kept a daily journal of my food and exercise, worked out twice a day and lost 7 pounds! Yes, you can enjoy life working your band!

I agree. Vacation is not about food anymore for me either. I eat enough to be satisfied but I stay away from sugar because it is my total down fall.

It's tough to stay on track away from home. Losing 7 lbs is an amazing accomplishment for being on vacation!! I went to Vegas last month, am 5 months post-op, and was so thankful we were staying in a condo that gave us our own kitchen. I hit the grocery store the day after we landed and could load up on the yogurt, cottage cheese, etc that I was used to eating. We did hit the buffet one night, I was a little disheartened to pay $22 for one plate, but was proud that I didn't try to over-stuff myself like in the past. An all-you-can-eat buffet used to mean 3-4 plates. Eating 1, with food left over, was such a treat!

Congrats to you on your vacation success!

I love Vegas! We do the same thing. Next time you go to a buffet, ask for a kids price. I love buffets now because I can pick all of the grilled stuff. I just ask to see the manager, tell them I had WLS and I usually get the kids price or senior price. The restaurants I frequent here all know me now and also let me order off the kids menu. Granted, not all kids menus are healthy, but some are getting really good now. I also ask to see a nutrition menu or order a la cart! I eat out way too much!

Last. Action I lost a pound and I was thrilled. We heas out on Vacation in 10 days and since I am so close to goal I will just expect to stay the same. To echo what someone already said vacation isnt about food anymore!!!

DH and I went to WDW two weeks ago. At most restaurants, I shared meals with DH. Some of the restaurants even plated 1/3 of his meal on a small plate for me. I was also able to order one macadamia pancake at another restaurant. At a steak place, I ordered a shrimp cocktail appetizer and picked at DH's veggies.

It's wonderful to have a sense of controlling food, rather than being controlled by it.

Great job! I love it when you can do that and really enjoy the meal!

My definition of a great holiday is where I come home rested, healthy, well exercised and not fat!

its very doable. Its entirely possible to enjoy food, enjoy a drink but not gain weight and regret it all when you come home.

All it takes is to focus on the holiday not the food! who wants to lie around on their fat ass, stuffing their face and roll home unable to do up their pants? We've just gotten back from Thailand where my hubby got a little miffed with me once or twice because I didnt suck down cocktails and eat four courses every night. He wanted to and required my participation so that he didnt feel like a pig! I just see no point in it, its not worth it when you get home. But did I enjoy Thai food and the odd drink? Of course!

I also dont eat airplane food just cos its put in front of me :-) Its usually not worth eating!

Exactly, we do not have to follow others! Way to go!