Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Difference Does Band Size Make?

I posted this question on the post op forum, and didn't really get any answers, so please pardon me if you are seeing it again. How does band size (4, 8, 10, 12, 14 cc) affect the pace of weight loss, and the fill amounts. Obviously, a 14 cc band holds more Fluid than a 4 cc band, but what does that mean regarding the amount of restriction? Does anyone know? Thanks for any info.

Laura

Good question ......I hope to see some replies too.

I have a 10 cc band, and I assumed it was because of my structure. I am large framed. I have a support meeting tonight and will try to remember to ask. It's a good question!

I don't think it matters what size band you have. My doctor only does 10cc bands, so do others. I do not think it effects your result.

doctor told me it depends on how much fat is around the area the cc is the length of the band to fit around the area. it doesnt matter your weight we are all differant on the inside.

Lne dancer

I have a 14 cc band (i think? I know it's the bigger of the two)

Anyhow, I asked my doc about this and he said not to worry about it because it just depends on the circumference of the esophagus. They make the decision during surgery. The size really doesn't effect weight loss pace. Restriction does

As far as the 4cc band, from what I understand they were too small and are not widely used anymore

I have a 4 cc band, and I'm having my first fill Monday. So if they put 2 cc's in, it would be like putting 5 cc's in someone that has a 10 cc band. I'm guessing it will take me fewer fills to get to the green zone.

Thans for your input!

Laura

I got the 10cc and my sister-in-law got the 14cc at the same Dr. They told me men were more likely to get the 14cc.

I have a 4 cc band and I had 2.25ml and had to get some removed as I was so tight I couldn't drink Water. The doc told me that 2.25 is the most they usually put in a 4cc band. I have 1.9ml now and I think I'm in the green zone (touch wood)

I ate half a salad wrap yesterday for lunch (1/2 cup) at 1pm and stayed satisfied until after 5pm. That's how I'm gauging it. Satisfaction from 1/2 cup of food is what my doctor is having me aim for.

So good luck with your 2ml but it might be too much for your first fill!

I had 1.5ml added for 1st fill

0.5 for 2nd

0.25 for 3rd

Then 0.35 removed

Thanks, Sohpie. I have no idea how much they're going to put in. I was just wondering if the comparison was correct. Interestig that you had 2 ml, and went back for another fill just to get it unfilled. It's a learning process. I'd be tickled pink if my first fill landed me int he green zone, for sure.

Laura

One of the reasons band design evolves is to get around the incidence of issues like erosion and slippage. The newer bigger capacity bands have a different baloon design which is pillowed and supposedly reduces slippage.

However, from being on here for seven years, one thing I can say for sure - the older 4cc bands (which I have) make it much easier to get restriction - I had good restriction from the day of surgery and didnt have to take months to build up - what would happen was that it would wane over time, and I'd need a top up, of 0.1, 0.2 cc and back I'd be at that sweet spot, until after about six months, the sweet spot just held for literally years. About once every 18 months or so, I've had a 0.1cc top up.

so I really do believe you get and hold restriction a lot quicker with the older bands. The teeniest tiniest of fills or unfills can make a big difference, although a delicate touch is required, they do seem to be easier to adjust and keep at optimum level.

but because such small fills can make a difference and you really cant go smaller than 0.1cc - even this may be too much and I've known someone in real life who was simply unable to find the optimum restriction as she'd go from loose to tight over 0.1cc.

I was already too tight at 2ml but didn't recognise the symptoms until I was way too tight.

My symptom was gurgling whenever I ate anything, small or large, fast or slow.

Also getting stuck very easily.

The removal of 0.1 has made a huge difference now.

The 4cc band is an older lapband model, replaced by the 10 and 14cc band. The realize band-c is 11cc and the older band is 9cc. There are two other bands not used in the US.

The realize is supposed to be lower pressure and some say it requires more fill because of this.

The 4cc is not used often due to more problems associated with its design. There is obviously a lot less fill, so I have heard that you reached the green zone faster.