Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions on Soft Food Syn, motility problems, dialated esophagus

Hello,

I was banded in late Dec by Dr. Spiegel in Houston, Texas and lost 20 pounds before my first fill. I got my first fill late January to 1.6 cc's. The weight is coming off about 1 pound a week now.

I just joined the board yesterday and am curious about some of these terms like:

Nutcracher Esophagus

Motility Problems

Esophagus Dilated

Soft food Syndrome

I am able to slowly drink a pre-mixed Liquid Protein drink in the morning.

I am sometimes able to eat lunch (protein, salad, fruit)

dinner is 80% the time is a no go.

Here's why:

My throat feels like it's closing and the food gets stuck. :D Sometimes food will go down, other times I start salivating (very thick) and cough it up. There was a period of time about 2 weeks ago that I threw up like this once a day.:cry

Sometimes I get scared to eat solids. :paranoid I went 2 days this weekend without food. I didn't get hungry until Monday and I never felt weak.

I am able to get plenty of Water in me so I stay hydrated.

I called Dr. Spiegel's office yesterday and can't get in until April 25th. His nurse says she still experiences exactly what I described.

Any ideas if this is normal?

I don't think this is normal??? You are suppose to eat 3 times a day and be able to eat 3 oz at least of some protein....fish, chicken etc., so your saying you have eaten little to nothing since January????? and if you are only losing 1 lb. week.....body might be in starvation mode??? think you could be too full? and if you can't eat solid food and haven't for a month...don't see why they can't get you in sooner? Sometimes you have to push them and let them know you are concerned and seriously think you could be overfilled.......????

It's normal for me... I have first bite syndrome big time! The first bite causes sliming about 90% of the time. So I spit it out and try not to PB, with a not sucessful rate of at least once a day. But if I wait it out I can still eat alot of food, so I'm getting another fill. Hope this helps.

Its nothing like "normal" by my way of judging since I can eat anything, dont get much pain or discomfort unless I eat way too fast. I eat 3 meals a day, i just cant eat as much as I used to and I'm losing weight at a pound or more a week.

But then, given the number of little irritations, idiosyncracies and problems others have with their bands, I think perhaps its less "normal" to have no problems at all.

I would be worried for my long term health on that kind of intake though and would be probably making lots of effort to get nourishing liquids down until I could get to my doc. You need to eat regularly.

It doesn't sound normal to me either. Sounds like the fill is too tight. I can eat relatively normal, but can't eat fast or in big bites. I never PB (yet!!) and am losing about 1lb. a week, which is fine with me.

Try Protein Drinks with small slow sips. Often during a day to ensure your Protein intake and GET IN TO THE DR. to make sure it is all fine. You sound like you could be starving yourself and your body is in "protect mode" and won't let go of the weight.

Let us know how you are!!

I understand if you can only eat soft foods, you need to talk to your doctor. Maybe need a slight unfill.

Its not normal for me. I am one month shy of 1 year postop and I have only pb'd 4 times, all from eating too quickly I think. I will be gurgly when I eat dinner (after I have had a fill) for about a week or two so I have to really watch myself during those times to make sure I take my time. I have not had those kind of problems that you mention.

Dr. Spiegel is on vacation until late April. I think he is in town just a few more days. That is why you can't get in to see him before then. Scream loud now and maybe they will "fit" you in or you will have to see his on call doctor.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR IDEAS, CONCERNS AND FEEDBACK!!! I feel so much better after reading your responses. I decided to wait it out for my appointment. I want to try some of the ideas I read on other posts, such as drink some hot tea (just a wee bit) before a meal. I think everything will be ok. I am still new to this. I will check back in tomorrow for any new comments. Thank you so much, I am grateful to have found this board!!! Susan

To me it sounds like you are too tight. It is common for the weight loss to slow down or even stop when you arent able to get in adequate amounts of REAL food. Try the warm tea before meals, it really helps me. Also, many many bandsters are tighter in the mornings...so dont even attempt anything too solid then if you are having problems with sliming and PBing. I really think you should push to see your doctor or his asst sooner, but take it careful in the meantime. Tiny bites and chew to practically liquid. Hope you get this resolved.

Hi everyone, well I had to get 3 ccs removed about 5-6 weeks ago and I ma now back to 2 1/4 ccs and am I hungry. I was really tight they goofed and gave me more than i was supposed to have. I was told that 6 ccs was removed and the records showed I had 5 1/4 ccs not the 6ccs at all, well I had to have the UGI test and was told my esophagas was dialiated so out came the fill. since then I was given 1 cc wll that means I have under 3 ccs again and I am so hungry. I doubled the Protein that does not work so I have to eat many smaller meals to curb the appitite. Tomorrow I get another UGI to see if I am still dialated or not in order to start getting my fills. I am so beside myself, it is like taking candy from a baby. Has anyone had these problmes as I have had.?

wow! i am new to all this!! what does slimming mean? pbing mean?dialated esophagus? this all sounds very scary?? i am researching for the lap band procedure but very concerned!!

well I got the band in dec 2007. slimming and pbing (i think) are the same thing. It's when you have not chewed well enough, ate too fast or too much and the food becomes blocked. You start to feel like a choking feeling and want to vomit. you hold your head over the toilet and a lot of mucus just comes out and sometimes you may vomit. this could last 30 to 45 minutes sometimes. make sure you chew very well and eat slow.

I just found out that I have an enlarge esophagus. I was worried about my stomach pouch being stretch and to come to find out that was fine. It's my esocaphus that is stretch. You would think I was very bad, but I eat carefully. I don't get it. I guess I am just not one of the lucky ones. I have to go back in a few months for another upper GI to monitor it.

good luck with your band. It really has changed my life. I lost 100 lbs in 6 months and have only gained back 7 lbs. The only thing I hate now is I am so tired and lazy all the time. I think this is because I didn't exercise to keep my muscles toned and blood flowing. Make sure you exercise.