Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going To The Hospital Again:(

I am 2 months post op and have been doing pretty well up until Tuesday afternoon. About 1/2 hour after I ate lunch (1 stuffed clam) I started to get nauseous and having abdominal pain. My midsection felt so tight and the pain was excruitiating. I called my surgeon and he thought for sure it was my gallbladder and admitted me to the hospital. The pain was off and on for about 6 hours and then slowly subsided. Unfortuately, my hospital had no available beds and I spent my entire stay in the emergency room. I had a negative ultrasound of my gallbladder and a negative HIDA scan. After 25 hours of nothing to eat or drink and my negative tests, I was sent home. Last night I had a small piece of meatloaf, mashed potatoes and a bite of creamed spinach from Boston Market. It was probably about 3/4-1 cup of food. I have not eaten over a cup of food since surgery and I follow directions always. Anyways sure enough the abdominal pain came back...only worse and spread to my back. I just couldn't get comfortable, I got in the shower, used a heating pad, tried to stretch and after 5 hrs of suffering the pain went away. Today I'm nauseous, not that hungry, and I'm afraid to eat. It seems like as long as I don't eat, I'm fine. My surgeons office called me to see how I was doing and I told them about last night. The surgeon now wants me back in the hospital and wants to take out my gallbladder! If I had all these negative tests how can it be my gallbladder? What about my band? I'm so confused! So now I'm waiting for a bed to open up at the hospital but at least I'm not in the ED.

almost sounds like your band has slipped...be VERY careful!! I'm glad you are going back to the hospital.

My PCP discovered my gallbladder was not working only after I was hospitalized with an episode of pancreatitis, which caused severe pain in my back and extreme nausea.

I hope they get to the core issue, and that you feel better fast...take care...

OHH No!

Please let us know the outcome of this

(hugs)

Some peoples bodies just work differently. I had abdominal pain for about 5 months. Had everything worked up, it was all negative, and I was miserable. My surgeon was certain it was my appendix but diagnostically it was completely normal. He finally decided just to take it out, and sure enough it was completely calcified. The calcifications wouldn't show up on the scans but it was certainly the root of the problem. Same thing with my gallbladder, I had stones that showed up on one ultrasound but not the second...but the symptoms all correlated with a bad gallbaldder.

What you're describing sounds like gallbladder to me. I also had to have mine out after weight loss last year. If you have gallstones, your gb can still function properly, and the stones may be small enough that they move through by the time you had the scans. It wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion though.

Whatever the outcome, I wish you luck and a speedy recovery.

Are you sure that you don't have a blockage?

I hope you are feeling better soon I just got out the hospital this morning. I have caught a stomach virus and it is hanging on for dear life. I hope they get down to the bottom of what it is and getyou all fixed up. sending hugs and love keep us posted on how you are doing.

Trying to post on another thread and it flipped back to this one!

Hope you feel better fast!!!

i had emergency gallbladder surgery after a couple episodes of intense pain (in my upper back and shoulder blades)

so i feel for you if that is what it is... like patty said, keep us informed. hang in there

Thanks everyone! All settled in my room. What are the symptoms of a band slip?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using LapBandTalk

Just spoke to one of the surgeons and apparently the HIDA scan showed some stones...just no inflammation ..the gallbladder is coming out tomorrow...

Just spoke to one of the surgeons and apparently the HIDA scan showed some stones...just no inflammation ..the gallbladder is coming out tomorrow...

Sorry your having to go through this! I know all will go well and I'm sending you positive and healing vibes!!!!

Is recovery similar to lapband?

I am 2 months post op and have been doing pretty well up until Tuesday afternoon. About 1/2 hour after I ate lunch (1 stuffed clam) I started to get nauseous and having abdominal pain. My midsection felt so tight and the pain was excruitiating. I called my surgeon and he thought for sure it was my gallbladder and admitted me to the hospital. The pain was off and on for about 6 hours and then slowly subsided. Unfortuately' date=' my hospital had no available beds and I spent my entire stay in the emergency room. I had a negative ultrasound of my gallbladder and a negative HIDA scan. After 25 hours of nothing to eat or drink and my negative tests, I was sent home. Last night I had a small piece of meatloaf, mashed potatoes and a bite of creamed spinach from Boston Market. It was probably about 3/4-1 cup of food. I have not eaten over a cup of food since surgery and I follow directions always. Anyways sure enough the abdominal pain came back...only worse and spread to my back. I just couldn't get comfortable, I got in the shower, used a heating pad, tried to stretch and after 5 hrs of suffering the pain went away. Today I'm nauseous, not that hungry, and I'm afraid to eat. It seems like as long as I don't eat, I'm fine. My surgeons office called me to see how I was doing and I told them about last night. The surgeon now wants me back in the hospital and wants to take out my gallbladder! If I had all these negative tests how can it be my gallbladder? What about my band? I'm so confused! So now I'm waiting for a bed to open up at the hospital but at least I'm not in the ED.[/quote']

This sounds like gall stones. The nausea, horrible pain coming and going, stomach pain, back pain. I had these symptoms before the band and it was gallstones. Did you know that you can still form stones AFTER gallblladder surgery. I was forming them in the ducts even with no gallbladder. I had to change my diet completely. High Protein diets (Atkins in other words) CAN cause gallstones. I wish you nothing but good luck. It sounds like your doctor cares about you. Where do you live where there were NO hospital beds??? Please keep us informed.