Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's Coming Out!

I've had my band for almost 3 years. I began experiencing problems almost from the first fill, which was about a month after the surgery. I didn't recognize that reflux could be a big problem. Long story short, for the last year or so, without any Fluid in the band, nearly everything gets stuck, and i'm taking 5-8 antacid pills a day (1 is supposed to last 24 hours) for the reflux. Finally my father convinced me that I needed to have this thing evaluated (all the Fluid was removed a year ago after my final fill which resulted in my inability to swallow any liquids)...I had my EGD done yesterday which showed gastric ulcers and erosive esophagitis....dr said band is "fine", but with the horrible reflux and two episodes of vomiting blood within the last couple of weeks, he's agreed to remove it. It comes out in two weeks, and I am so hopeful to have a more "normal" way of eating! I love food. I love cooking, entertaining, and eating.

I thought this would be my magic bullet. I did manage to lose about 50 lbs...and gained back about 10....but this wasn't what I had hoped it would be. I I have really been suffering for a good 2 years now, and I'm tired of it...the reflux is nasty and painful, and I hate that everything I eat (even liquids, sometimes), gets stuck.

Just sharing my story because I've been reading some of yours and am so happy that I'm not alone in this battle. I'm happy for those of you who have succeeded with no problems, but I'm not one of you. Two weeks from today, I will be band-free, and I pray that things will get back to nearly normal soon thereafter. I've lost weight in the past with no band...and I can do it again with no band. I just want to feel better.

i am so sorry you have had so many problems i hope the surgery fixes your health problems. my father had horrible reflux and he didn't have a band. he had to sleep with his bed at a 4 inch incline. and finally had to have surgery where they tied his esophagus in a knot pretty much. now he doesn't burp. but has no more reflux.

I've had my band for almost 3 years. I began experiencing problems almost from the first fill' date=' which was about a month after the surgery. I didn't recognize that reflux could be a big problem. Long story short, for the last year or so, without any Fluid in the band, nearly everything gets stuck, and i'm taking 5-8 antacid pills a day (1 is supposed to last 24 hours) for the reflux. Finally my father convinced me that I needed to have this thing evaluated (all the Fluid was removed a year ago after my final fill which resulted in my inability to swallow any liquids)...I had my EGD done yesterday which showed gastric ulcers and erosive esophagitis....dr said band is "fine", but with the horrible reflux and two episodes of vomiting blood within the last couple of weeks, he's agreed to remove it. It comes out in two weeks, and I am so hopeful to have a more "normal" way of eating! I love food. I love cooking, entertaining, and eating.

I thought this would be my magic bullet. I did manage to lose about 50 lbs...and gained back about 10....but this wasn't what I had hoped it would be. I I have really been suffering for a good 2 years now, and I'm tired of it...the reflux is nasty and painful, and I hate that everything I eat (even liquids, sometimes), gets stuck.

Just sharing my story because I've been reading some of yours and am so happy that I'm not alone in this battle. I'm happy for those of you who have succeeded with no problems, but I'm not one of you. Two weeks from today, I will be band-free, and I pray that things will get back to nearly normal soon thereafter. I've lost weight in the past with no band...and I can do it again with no band. I just want to feel better.[/quote']

You are first person I can relate to. I know the band works for most but for me it's not my friend. I've lost 80+ lbs in 7 months with no fill. Yet liquids manage to get "stuck" this week has been horrible I had to put myself on a liquid diet. I see my dr Friday to see how much damage this reflux is doing

Hope everything goes well for you! Good luck :)

Did you have an EGD before your surgery, and did it show gastritis or anything else?

Reflux is definitely not something to ignore when you're banded. I don't know why the word is not out there more. Every time I go in to see my dr. I have to fill out a questionnaire which includes questions about night cough and reflux.

Thanks, everyone. I didn't have any invasive tests prior to getting banded. I was self pay, as my insurance didn't cover it because I wasn't 'morbidly obese'....so I had never had the EGD until a couple days ago. I have had reflux in the past, but nothing nearly as bad as what I've had in the past year or so. Looking at the endoscope pics is a little scary....chewed up tissue can't be healthy. Anyway, the strong antacid I've been taking is helping with the pain and reflux. I just can't wait to get this out of me and to feel better. And to eat like I want to. I'm dying for a deli sandwich!!! Someone like me should not get the band. I am definitely an emotional eater, but I also love to eat good food. I have access to some reallly fabulous home grown tomatoes, but I have to peel them in order for them not to get stuck. I want to eat grapes, but those get stuck as well. I CAN eat healthily without the band....and I'm really looking forward to it!