Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Amazed By What Other People Eat

I know that I have tended towards undereating for my needs since being banded (and that's without doing a sub 1000 calorie day, ever) and my body is seven years later showing signs of malnutrition (kidneys, Iron stores, energy and hormone levels, scary huh?) but sheesh, eating like a "normal" person is not an option either! I've been logging my days in an effort to eat more, not less! 1500 calories a day of healthy food (no shakes, all solid) is darn hard work!

Its the end of Term 3 for primary schools here in Victoria, Australia and Thursdays are our staff morning tea (two people put it on every week). Tonight we have a staff dinner to Celebrate end of term and are all going out to a pizza/italian restaurant tonigh

So I've planned out and logged my day - it adds up to 1000 calories for breakie, morning tea, lunch and an afternoon snack - generally my dinner would be sub 500 calories and I need to pad out with a soy latte and something else to reach my dietician set target of 1600 to 1800 (and amazingly I have gained NO weight from upping my intake, but feel loads better).

So I've planned 1000 calories and thought that a glass of wine and a slice or two of pizza will be great, my day will probably end up at 1800 or so. I've just sat in the staffroom and watched people eat with reckless abandon - cakes, Cookies, fruit, meat pies and sausage rolls, crackers and dip and a cheese platter - all knowing they're going out tonight as well! I would never ever ever do that now! It is instinctive that I make allowances today for tonight! Am I the sick one or are they?

These are by and large normal sized people - bigger than me, as I have lost perspective a bit and have gotten very thin and think I eat heaps! They dont exercise like I do either. So how on EARTH do they a) fit it in and B) not get as fat as a house?

Every now and then you realise just how much the lapband changes your lifestyle and your choices!

I have become very aware of what I eat and what others eat now. It never occured to me before how unhealthy I was eating. And you are right, it is damn hard to get a lot of good healthy calories in. I do my best to eat clean, but dang its hard to get the calories, Protein and enough Water in during the day. I choose to keep my band tight so that makes it even harder. I am just now sitting down at 9pm for a meal and it is raw veggies. I have already had several Protein Shakes today. But this is the way I want my band although I am scared of malnutrition but I do have a series of Vitamins and supplements I take during the day. All that I do is for my goal of muscle building. I am hoping to one day in the next year or two be able to take the stage as a figure competitor.

I have found eating with the band has been as difficult as controlling my intake without the band. I have a very long list of things I can not eat (no matter how loose/tight my band is) and it makes for a very short list of food I can have. I get frustrated sometimes. When i see my bestfriend (banded a week before me) eat Pasta, salad, and breads I wonder how she is not doubled over. It is hard to get calories in when its a short list with specific consistancy but I press on!!

das

It truly Ian a challenge to eat enough calories!!! I have a Protein Shake every morning because I'm too tight to eat in the morning. Some days I can barely fit in 1100/1200 and my goal is 1500 - 1700 depending on exercise demands. Sonera days I just can't do it. Yesterday I got stuck like all day and ended up with a Protein Drink for dinner. :-/ non what I wanted.

It is funny how different eating is now. I too make allowances for things like a slice of pizza and just could never eat now like a non-banded person. It takes me twice as long to eat half as much. I'm aol happy I was banded because I never would have slowed down on my own. I don't judge what others eat but sometimes I'm jealous that they can eat. Whatever they want and non get stuck like I would.

Funny...I observed this same thing last night at church. On Wednesday night my family goes to church where we get to eat a home cooked meal and then then fellowship with other church members (kinda like going to a good friend's for dinner). Last night was pulled pork BBQ (I live in Texas and this is a fairly "normal" thing to have), chips, a cookie and salad--overall nothing bad. As I patiently waited between bites of my bunless meat which was slathered in BBQ Sauce I watched my table-mates eat and was surprised not so much with the volume they ate (we were all given the same amount), but the speed. I can't believe I ever ate that fast-I mean I don't know if some people even tasted their food they were eating so fast. I found myself smiling inside that I have been able to slow myself down and I am finally (after 45 years) able to say that I am able to appreciate and enjoy the taste of the food instead of swallowing fast to get more.

I have watched some of my friends eat and im amazed at the amounts they can eat.

I dont think amazed is the right word. I get grossed out sometimes watching them eat. I hsve seen my friend eat 2 tacos before i can get the inside of mine ate. I usually ger one egg white and a slice of bacon. She gets 3 eggs sausage biscut with cheese and 2 tacos. I just look at her like you are really going to eat all that? Maybe that is really bad of me to think that.

Funny...I observed this same thing last night at church. On Wednesday night my family goes to church where we get to eat a home cooked meal and then then fellowship with other church members (kinda like going to a good friend's for dinner). Last night was pulled pork BBQ (I live in Texas and this is a fairly "normal" thing to have)' date=' chips, a cookie and salad--overall nothing bad. As I patiently waited between bites of my bunless meat which was slathered in BBQ Sauce I watched my table-mates eat and was surprised not so much with the volume they ate (we were all given the same amount), but the speed. I can't believe I ever ate that fast-I mean I don't know if some people even tasted their food they were eating so fast. I found myself smiling inside that I have been able to slow myself down and I am finally (after 45 years) able to say that I am able to appreciate and enjoy the taste of the food instead of swallowing fast to get more.[/quote']

Concentrate on what works for YOU. So what if that skinney girl across the table eats anything in front of her and not gain an ounce? You know it doesn't work for you. Haven't you been there, done that? Use that band as Your Tool and get on with your new life. In 3 or 4 months you will look and laugh that NOW you have it figured out and why did you obsess?