Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Senior Bandsters: Anything You Would Have Done Differently Prior To Your Surgery Date ?

I have my surgery date scheduled (in Mexico with Dr. Kuri) on October 17, and I'm trying to prepare as wisely as I can before the surgery and never was the one who liked to learn the hard way. So my question is as follows:

Was there anything that you did or wish you did (prior to surgery) that would have been a huge prior to surgery? Perhaps you have heard a wise tip from a friend or someone here on this board !!!

Thoughts? Again...I want to prepare as wisely as I can

Many thanks in advance Bandsters ....blessings to you !!

Can't help you there Dude, being banded Oct 15 myself. I know you've been stalking this forum for years, so you must have a lot more knowledge about the band than most. I've only been stalking 6 mths and have learned so much. My #1 must do is, follow your Drs orders for success, drink your Water & exercise .

I think the one thing my Dr didn't tell me was about " bandster hell". He led me to believe I would have a pouch that only held 2TBSP of food.< /p>

Another wise saying " just b/c you can eat something, doesn't mean you should".

Well Best Wishes on your journey!

I have my surgery date scheduled (in Mexico with Dr. Kuri) on October 17' date=' and I'm trying to prepare as wisely as I can before the surgery and never was the one who liked to learn the hard way. So my question is as follows:

Was there anything that you did or wish you did (prior to surgery) that would have been a huge prior to surgery? Perhaps you have heard a wise tip from a friend or someone here on this board !!!

Thoughts? Again...I want to prepare as wisely as I can

Many thanks in advance Bandsters ....blessings to you !![/quote']

I'm definitely not senior - only banded 4 days ago.!! My doctor told me that my pre-op diet should just be 1000 calories no other guidance needed and so I continued eating the same rubbish but just less of if !! - I lost 10lbs in 10 days and so I was happy ! A lot of other people I know went onto a high Protein liquid diet - the idea being to reduce the liver and build up their muscle to help with the healing - I think if I had my time again I would have don't the same because I'm finding the transition from solids to liquids (which is required 2 weeks post op pretty hard going) hope this helps c

Make sure you take enough time off work.

If you haven't already really cut back on calories. I didn't too much and the liquid diet post op was a shock. Thats about all you can do pre -op there are lots of posts for helpful hints for the post op period. hope this helps.

Make sure you take enough time off work.

If you haven't already really cut back on calories. I didn't too much and the liquid diet post op was a shock. Thats about all you can do pre -op there are lots of posts for helpful hints for the post op period. hope this helps.

Can you direct me to these please? I'm sorry...I've research before I've posts but its hard to find these exact posts you are referring to.

Thanks,

MD

in the "search" area at top type in pre op hints, pre op diets etc. then just start reading.. look at headers that might contain information you seek

Any other helpful hints out there from people who have a lot of experience and knowledge about preparing wisely ??

Just curious to know howppl who have lap band sx get their fill

Wrong Forum Sandra. You need to ask these questions in the Pre-Lap Band Forum or General Lap Band Forum.

Any other helpful hints out there from people who have a lot of experience and knowledge about preparing wisely ??

Sure. Buy and read Bandwagon, written by a wise old woman for a wise marketing dude.

Sandra,

it's perfectly OK to ask a question on the "wrong" forum, but you'll get more answers if you try to post your own thread on the appropriate forum.

I'm not sure how detailed an answer you're looking for to the question of how people who have Lap Band surgery get their fills. The simple answer is they get their fills via a non-coring (Huber) needle filled with saline solution and injected into the port of their band system. The port is usually located somewhere on the abdomen, between the subcutaneous fat and the fascia surrounding the abdominal muscles.

Sure. Buy and read Bandwagon, written by a wise old woman for a wise marketing dude.

Haha...you are funny ....I LOVE your entrepreneurship thinking. Where can one get a copy :)

I got my band March 2011 and have lost 106 pounds.Prior to surgery I can only recommend that you make sure you sample Protein Shakes and find one that you can like or can tolerate since you will most likely need them for a few weeks and to stock up on gax-x strips, liquid pain reliever and ice chips. My advice for afterward is to really listen to your Doctor and nutritionist. Make sure you get enough calories or you will go into starvation mode and will not loose any weight. I highly recommend you track your calories. I use fitness pal. I have the app on my phone, it is also available online.

I would recommend that you start following band rules- no drinking with meals, small meals, some exercise daily, and that you are getting enough Protein per day (body weight x 0.3=grams needed per day).

It seems like people struggle most with not drinking and eating, so I'd start there.

I would also suggest that you take progress photos pre-surgery and every couple months. Also, make sure to wear a cotton tshirt... Don't make my mistake :)