Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Risks. How Did You Decide They Were Worth It?

My surgery is scheduled for the end of November and as I'm continuing to do my research I'm reading a lot of recent information about the risks associated with the band. How did people decide that these risks were worth more then the risks of other surgeries. For me one of the things I liked about the band was that it was reversable but not with the assumption that eventually Id have to have it removed. Just curious about others thoughts!

What made you choose the lap band over other choices? I definitely feel the same about my need just curious how others decided to go with the band.

Well, most of us have tried to lose weight every other possible way and have failed. Finally realizing that diets don't work for most of us is the first step. Is the band the right surgery over the others would depend on each person? The risks to not having surgery are obvious. Early death rates, lack of mobility, low self esteem, numerous weight related illnesses and the list goes on.

I think for me it was the realization that WLS was my last and only hope of ever regaining my life of activity and a brighter future for me and my family. I never considered the sleeve, bypass or any others. But, if for some reason the band fails, I would also consider the other surgeries. I don't believe I will fail the band and many people do fail the band. Learning to eat with the band is a must and you won't succeed unless you do. Some bandsters just can't cope with restricting how much they eat. But, I'm told that all WLS patients can fail with any of the surgeries if they cannot control their food addictions.

The risks from band slippage or me developing some kind of internal organ illness could be the only reason the band would not work for me. So far, so good but I have many more years ahead of me before I cross any of those bridges(knock on wood).

tmf

I talked with my PCP and we decided that the odds that I would die from obesity out weighed the risk of a lapband.

I choose LB b/c it was less evasive, and I had a sister who had gastric bypass lost a lot of weight and gained a lot of weight back.

After studying the lapband, that can also happen if you don't follow your Drs. orders. If I'm going to jump through all the hoops, I'm going to make sure I follow Drs. orders to the T.

I had an elevated A1C, sleep apnea and my blood pressure was starting to go up a little even though I was on a Calcium channel blocker for another medical reason. I have a family history of type II diabetes, heart disease, cancer and stroke. I knew I needed help to get and keep the weight off.

As far as the risks of other surgeries...this was the only one my insurance would cover any part of so that was the BIG factor for me.

Well, I have high blood pressure, hypothyroid disease, and PCOS...all of which can be controlled or alleviated with weight loss. I wasn't greatly successful with Weight Watchers or Nutrisystem. I'd lose 20-30lbs stop and gain it all back and then some. I also have increasing problems with pain in my knees and back. I'm only 30 and I don't want to keep going down a road that's surely going to lead to diabetes, depression and heart disease. i chose the band over the sleeve or bypass because if there are problems, it can be reversed. Also with the other surgeries, people tend to have serious Vitamin deficiencies, dumping, and possible bowel complications like adhesions and leaks. I hope to have children someday and a vitamin deficiency could affect a baby. Lastly, if someone were to gain weight back, we can have the band tightened. Sleeve and bypass patients have to have another surgery for a revision...if that is an option. However, I flip-flopped up until 2 weeks before my surgery as to whether I should have the sleeve or not. But these are the reasons I ultimately chose the lapband and I think I made the right decision for sure.

I am on non obesity related meds and my Dr. felt that with the bypass it would be too hard to get my current meds at the right level because of malabsorption issues.

That was why I chose the lap band.

I was banded on Thursday after months of research - the main reason for the band for me was the fact that if it didn't suit me I could have it removed and also because I have about 50lbs to lose and I felt the bypass was too drastic an operation to try and lose 50lbs - hope this helps

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! The more I think about things the more I believe I am on the right path!

What made you choose the lap band over other choices? I definitely feel the same about my need just curious how others decided to go with the band.

I was originally scheduled for Gastric Bypass, actually. At the last minute I backed out. I just couldn't rationalize rerouting my intestines permanently without trying something less drastic first. I considered the Sleeve, but again, I couldn't justify hacking off 3/4 of my healthy stomach for the same reason. So, my thought process was I'd try the Lap Band first and if for some reason that didn't work, then I'd move up to the Sleeve.

With that said, the Band is by far the best decision I've ever made for myself. I've lost 143 pounds (and still losing) in 8 months and couldn't be happier.

I'm not banded yet, but I am confident It will happen. I was interested in the gastric surgery years ago but never followed through. I attempted to lose weight on my own. My knees are severely bad (doctor said I have the knees of a 80yr old at 36), I have High pressure, and sleep apnea. Also I know this is for me because I have two teens that need me to stay alive. I am a walking time bomb, I know the lap band is for me because of the process is reversible. Finally, the process is a gradually weight loss rather than extreme or instant.

Hope that answered the overall question.....sorry about the rambling :rolleyes:

I chose WLS in general because:

1. My weight and comorbidities mean that unless I get down to a healthy weight, I will not live an average lifespan.

2. My current weight prevents me from doing many things I'd like to do, and some things I don't like to do but must get done (housework).

I chose Lap Band because it seemed like the logical first step. Why surgically reroute your intestines unless you've tried a less invasive procedure? After all, doctors will set a broken leg rather than amputate it.

I've read that Lap Banding does require that a patient make behavorial changes "up front" as opposed to gastric bypass patients who lose the weight right after surgery much more easily. But then a year or so out the weight loss slows and gastric bypass patients have to start focusing on the new behaviors. I want to learn my new behaviors now, while I'm still "revved up" mentally from getting my surgery.

I hope this helps.

well all surgeries have risks--even going to dentist or getting stitches

and here i was pushing nearly 350...how much higher could i go?

like missy, my dr suggested bypass but it scared me...once they cut, there is no going back...

i went in wanting the lap band and ended up getting just that..

only you can make that decision that works for you

if you continue to read the (bad) stuff, you may miss out on reading the good stuff in which many peoples whose

life's have changed and were saved

one of those being me.........i wish you all the best