Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost Motivation

After dealing with several insurance and legal issues after my LBS and successfully winning a lawsuit against Cigna, the stress of all of that got to me I guess. I had a few complications after I had a few fills, my stomach had become inflamed due to possibly being over filled (we never found out why since I was at about 5ml to 6ml on a 10 ml band) I had to basically start over with my adjustments.

I slowly started going back up from 2ml now I'm around 4 ml, my doc will l only put in .25 to .5 cc a fill in fears of going to tight and going through all the crap over again(at one point I was unable to eat/drink for 1 week). At one point the changes happened in a matter of hours, all of the sudden I was getting acid reflux and then got so inflamed I couldn't even keep Water down, the pain was unbearable. Took it all out and started over, went from 270 down to 200 I was within 20lbs of my goal weight, I slowly started going up and took a break for a while, I missed good food and I was scared of possibly losing my band, I gained about 35lbs, now I'm really close to the "sweet spot" in the band but I'm afraid to go more, I have forgotten how to eat properly and I have lost all motivation to make the band work for me. Any suggestions on what I should do? This is starting to effect my mood and in turn my performance at work.

I don't have any great suggestion for you because I am so new to my own banding, but I want to tell you I'm sorry you're having such difficulty right now and I hope things get easier very soon.

Keep the faith... I know others on this site will respond to your plea with helpful advice that will resonate with you and help get you moving in the right direction again. Best wishes!

Thank you, I just need to figure out how to get in the groove again, and re teach my self how to eat properly. It's that whole recognizing when your full and eatting the right foods that I have gone away from. It depends on the day sometimes of how my bad works for me it seems like. Somedays it works really well others I can eat a lot, but I think it boils down to what and how I'm eatting. I have never been able to get over the portions, I still dish up the portions I used to be able to eat them feel bad about taking to much and not finishing it that sometimes I force my self to finish it. I was brought up to "clean your plate there are starving children in other countries!" or "take what you want but finish what you take" you can't do that with the lap band it's more like take a little and if your not satisfied take a tiny bit more then you will be satisfied

Portion Control, stopping eating before feeling full, and carb control are all the lapband lessons I am anxious to master. My food choices are generally pretty good... I got fat from eating too much!!

We'll get this down though -I have complete confidence!!

I'll be interested in what other successful bandsters tell you. I'm trying to take in as much good info as possible. :)

OK, here's my advice, and please take it in the spirit I intend it, which is trying to be helpful. You've had a long, difficult road and I'm sorry for that, but you have two choices. You can either let the problems define you or you can adapt and overcome them. The first thing I would do is watch this 4-part video series recommended by my surgeon. When I was lost and couldn't find my way, these videos helped me get back on track.

I'd also start being an active member of this forum (or one of your choosing.) It really can be a good thing to hear the advice of others and give some advice to people who are going down a road you've already traveled.

Don't let the difficulties of the past define you. Every day is a new day and you have the choice to make it right or let it get the best of you. Sorry if this sounds a little harsh, but if things are getting to the point where it's affecting other parts of your life you need to get a handle on it.

If it get's bad enough, seek professional advice from a counselor. I have a feeling once you watch the videos, you'll have a path back to the groove.

Hope this helps.

D.

Thank you for this post and thank you Sandman for your video link.

I was banded in April and have been successful so far but I find myself falling back into old habbits. I need to get back on track. Although I have not started to put weight back on, the loss has almost come to a stop.

I had lost 70 lbs on my pre-op diet and have lost 40 since surgery. Although I am fairly happy where I am, I still need to loose 30 to be at a "normal" BMI.

I work in a school and being back has helped me greatly during the day. My problem is keeping myself out of the kitchen once I get home. I know many strategies for staying out, I just am not implementing them. I know I have no one to blame but myslef.

Mlara - your second post above could have easily been written by me! Although my only advice is really...We know what to do, we just have to do it!...Please know that you are not the only one working your way through this right now. Hang in there!

Thank you Sandman for the video link; great information we should all know!

@sandman thank u very much for that link. My surgeon is top notch but the follow up info was lacking this video taught me much! I even took notes. :)

Thank you' date=' I just need to figure out how to get in the groove again, and re teach my self how to eat properly. It's that whole recognizing when your full and eatting the right foods that I have gone away from. It depends on the day sometimes of how my bad works for me it seems like. Somedays it works really well others I can eat a lot, but I think it boils down to what and how I'm eatting. I have never been able to get over the portions, I still dish up the portions I used to be able to eat them feel bad about taking to much and not finishing it that sometimes I force my self to finish it. I was brought up to "clean your plate there are starving children in other countries!" or "take what you want but finish what you take" you can't do that with the lap band it's more like take a little and if your not satisfied take a tiny bit more then you will be satisfied[/quote']

I find the best way to control portion, since I also was a member of the clean plate club,is using a side plate. I weigh my meat and measure my veggies put them on my small plate and it is full. I also use a small fork so my bites are small. And I always have a knife, if I don't and the bit won't cut with a fork I'll just stuff it in my mouth.... Not good.

Also, if you don't already have it, get Jean's book Bandwagon. It's my bible, when I'm frustrated or feeling off course I pick it up and read. There is a ad at the bottom of this site for it, just click it. (No Jean doesn't pay me to promote her book.....maybe she should. Lol.)

Good luck to you, this site is a great place for support. Keep coming back.

Wow! Sorry it's been such a rough ride. I would go back to the reasons I wanted this. You can do it, you already have. I hope it gets better for you! Wishing you lots of luck!! *HUGS* :)